Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Houches - stayong at 1200m

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Not a regular user of snowheads so hello to all and hope someone can give me some info.

We're driving out to the above on the 31st March.
We have 3 teens aged 16, 17, 18 so obviously want to buy the local pass for at least a couple of days as the family pass includes children up to 18 and will save us some money.

I don't think the area will occupy us for more than a few days - 1 because of ability (of some of our group, but not all) and 2 the snow conditons

What I would like to know is how the conditions are looking?
As we have cars we know we'll be driving and getting other area passes (full price for the teens as other passes count 16 and over as adults Sad ) so does 2/3 days at Les Houches and the rest on the Cham pass sound sensible?

I can't see the point of the MBU pass for a few days - am I right in thnking with 3 early days skiers we'll have plenty to occupy?

Also, local question. It's been suggested we can ski to village in the morning to get bread and catch the lift back to the apartment. How realistic is this for beginning of April?

Obviously it means waiting for the lift to open for breakfast!
Would it be just as easy to drive down and collect?

As I said any info much appreciated, it's a new area for us.

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ps. Realise have put in wrong Forum - but can't work out how to move or correct spelling mistake.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dimple wrote:

What I would like to know is how the conditions are looking?
As we have cars we know we'll be driving and getting other area passes (full price for the teens as other passes count 16 and over as adults Sad ) so does 2/3 days at Les Houches and the rest on the Cham pass sound sensible?

Spot on, the Cham Pass can be bought daily and is usable in all Cham areas. So if you go to Le Tour and the cloud comes at 11.00 say, you can head down and stop off at GM, Flegere or Brevent for the afternoon whilst enroute back to Les Houches.

Brevent and Flegere have some stunning views (the top Gondela of Brevent, included in Cham Pass, in particular), GM is pretty serious but will have the best afternoon snow at this time of year, Le Tour is mellow and cruisey however the home run to Vallorcine over the back closed last week...still a great high area though!

Having the car for you will make the difference and you may sack Les Houches off after the first day, if I was you I'd aim for a day in each area to fully explore the valley and spend the last couple of days wherever you liked best!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your reply.
It's just a damn shame that Les Houches don't include any other others on their good value pass.

If we go and buy passes for 13 year olds who will be on family passes will we be asked for proof of age. Ie will we have t carry their passports out with us?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only been with toddlers and adults so wouldn't like to comment but Cham's lifties aren't know for turning a blind eye, had a few incidents where I've had to return to the ticket office...my fault to be fair!

You sound like your there for the skiing but if you did want a day off the slopes to cut out the cost of lift passes it's quite a nice town to wonder around and sit on a terrace looking up at the most spectacular mountains in Europe and a different day out is a trip up to the mer de glace although sure I heard storys of a snow/rock slide across the train to Montevers used to get there (also the teens may not get to excited about looking at rock and ice formations) so it may not be fully running! You could also dump the kids and car at Brevent whilst you and the good lady have a day in Cham, just be warned it's a big hill to walk back up later!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dimple, I'm not sure about lift pass costs and rules as we have special price when we ski there, but if you have a car and are buying passes day by day you might enjoy a day at Les Contamines - if you get up to the higher areas (above the top gondola station) which are the best, anyway, you should be fine with the snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't forget that resorts like Megeve, Courmayeur, Verbier, Contamine and others are all accessible within the hour from Les Houches (well Verbier 90mins, but worth the drive if you fancy it), so day passes are the way to go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Cham in summer and been up the Mer de Glace. Very enjoyable.
Definitely there for the skiing this time!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good advice re passes above. As for the bread, I live in les houches, I don't know where your chalet is but I can't see it being a great idea to ski down for the bread. You would need to go all the way back to the top of the system again on your way back, much more straightforward to nip down in the car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, thanks for that, we'll get the car out in the mornings.
How are the snow conditions in LH?

Really like the idea of exploring different areas each day.
When got a feel for the place it will seem easier to plan.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How are the snow conditions in LH?

At the moment you can ski down to the village. It's getting very mushy quite early on, but it's enjoyable spring snow! The Grand Bois and Schuss des Dames have been keeping in really good condition all day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't skied les houches for a bit but the home run is still in. Often different sides of the hill are quite different. Also the conditions change a lot through the day as it gets warm in the afternoon. The pisteurs work hard at LH at keeping it good. Mrs jbob is at Le Tour this morning and says its been very nice but has just started getting mushy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Houches is low and tiny.

It will be green or brown and you'll ski it out in a day.

Head to Argentiere and Chamonix on all the other days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, do you know if the LH passes have been reduced in price in the resort? They got reduced for Easter in other years, holding out to not paying until we arrive on 31st March.

Glad to know you can still ski to the bottom as we are in Les Hauts de Chavants right next to Prarion télécabine.

I'd definitely do the Maths on buying passes daily, for both MBU and LH passes V buying week family passes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dimple, hope you enjoyed your week at Les Houches. Yet again our stay at Les Hauts de Chavants was fantastic, the hire shop Balmat Sports (Sport2000) excellent. Conditions were great until wednesday, according to the kids (I had an accident before skiing and never got to ski) and only thursday afternoon at LH did they find the snow a little too heavy to push through. Friends went to Brévent-Flegere are were very disappointed, returned to LH, also went to Argentiere for off-piste and good as expected over there. ESF /Les Houches are just great, cheapest in the valley and always English speakers amongst their staff. Our kids are French speakers so they get the instructions 2 times. During British school holidays, there always seems quite a high percentage of English speakers in the classes. Our kids were in groups of 4 and 7 this week. The instructors are quite strict with giving awards for ESF levels - don't enrol your child in a higher level than what they should really be in, the instructors won't award the kids their "stars" just cos they are in a particular group - saw in a 2e étoile group a child who didn't get 1ere or 2e étoile, just Flocon leve which is 2 levels below, a very fair assessment having watched the child ski - of course the child was upset but not their fault the parent put them in a group far above their abilities. Just a warning to parents.

LH will not be quite so good this week, snow melting quite quickly and a bit too much rain now, but good enough at the top, the home runs into the village are just about finished. Glad we chose last week to ski.

Oh a final tip for Les Houches. I was able to buy a "pack famille" lift passes without any proof of family status - that was 2 adults and 4 children passes. If you are enterprising, you can sell on any surplus of these lift passes to friends or people in the queue on the Sunday morning who are looking for just and adult or child pass at a discount.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy