Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Vallees, Paradiski and Espace Killy in One Day

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip to do 3V, Paradiski and EK in one day.
Something along these lines.
Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Orelle (bottom of 4th valley)
Val Thorens
Mottaret
Courchevel
Courchevel 1300 - Le Praz
taxi 14Km to Champagny
La Plagne
Vanoisse Express
Les Arcs
Villaroger
Taxi 14Km to Tignes Les Breviere
Tignes
Val D'Isere

The extra lift pass cost is zero! If we buy a 6 day pass for EK, then we get a free day in 3V and Paradiski (a system called Espace Olympique). I have emailed lift company in EK and they confirmed that we just need to present our EK receipt, to be clipped, and they will give us a free day pass, they also confirmed that there is no problem with taking the same day.

Problem currently, is how to get to Orelle from VD'I? Either a very early start and long expensive taxi.
Or maybe a cab to Courchevel 1300 the day before, pay for a 3V lift pass for the day and ski over to Orelle, stay night in cheap room and then head back the following day.
Anyone got any tips on cheap rooms in Orelle?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could you get a train from BSM to St Michel or Modane (might need to go via Chambery) and then a taxi to Orelle?

You could get a room in the apartments in Orelle which wouldn't be expensive.

FYI my current record is to step on the Orelle bubble at 9 am and arrive at the Bel Aire in Couchevel 1650 at 10.32.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you probably could, but why would you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Problem currently, is how to get to Orelle from VD'I?

Ski of the back of the Pisallais glacier down to Bonneval and then get buses down to Orelle?
Sounds an expensive trip to me though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...or follow the road from the Col de l'Iseran down to Bonneval and then catch the 17:30 bus back down the valley. That would be an impressive loop in one day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look into them in more detail.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alti - dude wrote:

You could get a room in the apartments in Orelle which wouldn't be expensive.
FYI my current record is to step on the Orelle bubble at 9 am and arrive at the Bel Aire in Couchevel 1650 at 10.32.

Do you have a link for the apartments in Orelle?
What route do you take to Courch?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Problem currently, is how to get to Orelle from VD'I?

Ski of the back of the Pisallais glacier down to Bonneval and then get buses down to Orelle?
Sounds an expensive trip to me though.

I am liking this idea, alot. Hadn't realised we could go all the way round. Fantastic. saves loads of money and time. ps last bus from Bonneval to Modena is 1615
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would avoid Modena -great for Ferraris but not great for skiing !!! You need Modane!

Apartments are fairly basic - http://www.cela-orelle.com/ but a good base.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alti-dude
woops, good point, still a Ferrari would certainly solve the problem of getting to Orelle for 9 am. I wonder if I could get the snow chains to fit?
thanks for link on apartments, they are only quoting prices for weekly hire, I'll drop them and email to enquire about last minute for 1 night.

Anyone got any advice on the route to Bonneval? Am tempted to take the road down for simplicity, but am also inclined to make the most of the off piste adventure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orelle apartments say they will do a 1 night rate as follows:
2 person 75e,
3 person 85e,
4 person 95e

so the per person costs are looking like
Bus Bonneval - Modane - 10e
Taxi Modane - Orelle - 15e
Orelle Appartment - 30e
Taxi Le Praz - Champagny - 15e
Taxi Villaroger - Tignes Les Brevieres - 15e
Total = 85e

might chuck a avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe hire in there too - any tips on where to get those in Val D'Isere?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ha! I love it. Are you sure it's possible? This is my experience:

1. Completely traversing those 3 ski domains in one direction is about 90km of piste in total. (I did it a couple of weeks ago)

2. Typically, lift systems limit you to skiing around 60-70km in a day, irrespective of your top speed.

3. Add in your transfer times and it's looking tricky

Maybe I misunderstand. Wouldn't be the first time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AntonAusTirol

No not sure it's possible at all, but keen to give it a go.
I think there are just over 4 hours of lifts (excl. queuing), I am certain i ski faster than a lift, so working on assumption that lifts and runs will be roughly equal, I think it could be possible to do in the 8 hours available.
The key will be quick taxi transfers and making that last lift out of Tignes by 1700

Has anyone ever done this, before?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This discussion belongs in the "How many Km's do you need" thread, and LITERALLY brings it to a new dimension
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree on distance, about 85km, plus the 2 x 14Km taxis.
This year we skied 72Km with over an hour for lunch in a restaurant, with a group of 8 including 4 children (aged 8-12).
Stopping for photos and video recording.

There will only be 3 adults on this trip
If we say the cabs cancel out the lunch, then I think it should be possible.
ski holidays
ajdetpwm,
Quote:

Anyone got any advice on the route to Bonneval? Am tempted to take the road down for simplicity, but am also inclined to make the most of the off piste adventure.

Think its on the IGN map but if its warm I would be cautious about the time of day you do it, some of the slopes are south facing I think. I did it on one of the guided trips many years ago it was a very pleasant descent from memory.
snow report
T Bar
Thanks for the tip on IGN maps - found a good website wit them available online- a quick screen grab or two later and i think i'm sorted.

http://www.geoportail.fr/visu2D.do?ter=metropole
Select cartes and then cartes IGN

snow conditions
Mmmmh... I would give it a go from Val d'Isere onwards. I am sure you can skip the taxi bit between Tignes and Paradiski. Fall behind Tignes (grand 8-grattalu/Palet-Chardonnay sector or even behind Grande Motte sector) and aim for Peisey Nancroix area. Look into that option, you might even save time... and pleasure that way. Once your tour finished in Bonneval, sleep there and follow the road up to the Iseran pass, ski de randonnee/skins style and link the little house in Fornet sector, by up/down Leissieres lift, Val d'Isere side and make your way down.
In Bonneval you may also climb in the combe straight up facing the resort at the back of the village to make it slightly shorter.
IGN maps are good for this.
snow report
volklwaffen wrote:
Fall behind Tignes (grand 8-grattalu/Palet-Chardonnay sector or even behind Grande Motte sector) and aim for Peisey Nancroix area...
... follow the road up to the Iseran pass, ski de randonnee/skins style and link the little house in Fornet sector, by up/down Leissieres lift, Val d'Isere side and make your way down.

Thanks for you suggestions.
I like the idea of losing a taxi ride and adding more off piste, however in going to Peisey we will lose all of Les Arcs and hence won't have done all of 3V, Paradiski & EK, from end to end.
snow conditions
Daft, but I like it.

When do you plan doing this? If it is a quiet time and I can fit it in I will offer you the transfer between Courchevel (le Praz or 1650?) and Champagny.
ski holidays
Sideslip1 - wow that sounds fantastic.
Sadly have missed our window for this year, so looking like early-mid March 2013.
when you say you'll offer us a transfer, how would that work, are you based in courchevel?
if we line up the idea with you in advance and then let you know the week we will be there?
we can then call a day or two before to say when we will be going for it.
I guess we'll be in Le Praz about 1030-1100 (but again can call to give you the notice you need) e.g. when we are on way out of mottaret.
the key to our success will be efficient transfers, so it would be excellent to have you on board as a key part.

thanks

so who would like to offer us a guaranteed ride from Villaroger to Tignes Les Breviers (circa 14:00)?
snow report
ajdetpwm,

We operate in La Tania but live about 20-25mins away. Le Praz is no issue if you can organise it in advance, I can also give you a mobile number. It would have to be midweek as all our vehicles are usually busy on the weekends.
snow report
sideslip1,
Thank you.
Can you PM me your mobile, as per above, we will get in touch when we have a rough idea of when we are coming and then we can firm up on the details as the day approaches. It will be mid-week, as the roads could be too busy to try it at the weekend.
We haven't discussed money, am I right in thinking that you are offering this as a favour to us and for the fun of being involved in our map cap scheme?
snow conditions
Still can't think WHY....Because you can (or might be able to)? Sounds like a load of lifts and taxis and navigation and not so much fun skiing to me! But it's a free country....How about taking your own support vehicle and driver?
latest report
Interesting idea. It took me a very surprising amount of time to get from one end of Les Arcs to about half way through La Plagne so I'd be impressed if you pull this off.
snow report
ajdetpwm, did you do it?
latest report
I doubt it, he said (above) "Sadly have missed our window for this year, so looking like early-mid March 2013."
snow report
Right,
Time to resurrect this thread.
We are thinking of having a crack at this sometime w/c 10 Mar 13.

I have a few queries that I would value feedback on, from anyone who is in the know.

Firstly - the Espace Olympique.
This is a system run by 3V, EK & Paradiski that says you can have a free day in the other resorts by just presenting your lift pass and proof of purchase (receipt).
Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
Is it quick, easy, straightforward and widely known by all staff in the lift offices.
Can we do it in the outpost lift offices, as we will be starting 3V down at bottom of 4th Valley (Orelle) and
starting Paradiski down in Champagny
Does anyone have experience of getting these free passes at Orelle or Champagny - would be very interested to hear how it went.

Transfers
This is the other biggy for us.
Are there any kind souls who would like to help out with our crazy plan and be on standby to provide a quick car (van) transfer between the following:
Courchevel Le Praz 1300 to Champagny (at circa 10:30)
VillaRoger to Tignes Les Breviers (at circa 14:00)

if so get in touch and we can PM mobile numbers to sort details and let confirm when we are on our way.
we would be enormously grateful and you could tell the tale that "I was there and a part of it"

no doubt more to follow - watch this space

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b ]ajdetpwm[/b], Yip, it's easy to get the pass - just make sure you have the print out of your on line order and you're good to go. Available at all open lift offices (after all they all use computerised passes so have to be on line on the relevant intranet).
snow report
When you organising the timing, remember to factor in the Paris school holidays which might mean some lifts are extra busy.
snow conditions
ajdetpwm, instead of stopping in le Praz why not continue skiing down to Bozel (most likely will still be feasible at this point) and shorten your taxi ride to Champagny?
snow report
ajdetpwm, Excellent plan and a proper adventure.Some will say "Why?"............. Obviously "Why not?" Good luck with it.
ski holidays
Its all personal choice, of course, but I see that as a bit of a waste of the Espace Olympique. If it's "completing" the ski areas you're trying to achieve I think I'd be more inclined to take separate days for Tignes/VdI and Les Arcs/La Plagne to make the most of the immense skiing in both. For Espace Killy you could do the 4 corners challenge (Les Brevieres, Tignes glacier, VdI glacier, Le Fornet) which is a great way to see the entire ski area. For Paradiski it would be the jaunt from Villaroger to Montalbert, taking in the Varet glacier (Les Arcs) and Bellecote (La Plagne). Both of those are an epic day of skiing and a challenge in themselves. Hitting all three resorts in one day just seems like skipping through the best parts for the sake of it.

Still, personal choice I suppose, so good luck if that's what you really want to do.
snow report
chocksaway - thanks for that advice, its reassuring.
pam w - when are paris school holidays?
Dav - you are right, it's just "because its there", to see if we can do it - not intended to be a perfect day's skiing.
offpisteskiing - im not familiar with skiing down to Bozel, do you have any extra info on that?

does anyone have experience of getting the bus from Bonneval Sur Arcs down to Modane at 1630?
Is it often full? would we need to book it, or just turn up?
We are planning to go over to Bonneval from Col D'isere (top of le fornet) the day before, bus down to modane, taxi to orelle and then stay in Orelle for the night and hence get the first lift out at 0900.

a bit more begging........
any offers of lifts, please?
le praz - champagny
villaroger - les breviers

thanks
snow conditions
Quote:

when are paris school holidays?

2 - 16 March, and other regions spread through mid Feb - mid March.
ski holidays
ajdetpwm, skiing down to Bozel is highly unreliable. I did it last week for the first time. It's not pisted so just depends on conditions. At least with La Praz you know you can get there.

Adventure sounds great by the way.
snow report
ajdetpwm, ski down the red (Brigues) to le Praz, just as it turns into a path (blvd Amoureux) turn right onto the lower section of Brigues, as it crosses the bridge over the road look/turn immediately right and you will see the red run that goes to St Bon, follow this until you go over a bridge by a hairpin in the main road. From here straight down one field to a narrowing (slight uphill for 10m), another field, a rightwards path followed by a last field above les Moulins ('dark side' of bozel). It is a skier-groomed semi-piste much of the time unless there has been recent snowfall, in which case it will be very tracked chopped up powder (of some form).

- This winter it has been skiable as of early December and should certainly remain skiable into late March or beyond - (and has been similar the last few years...)
snow report
Hmmm. There is a regular bus from Bonneval that stops at Modane for an overnight stop and an early taxi for the short trip to Orelle and the slide back starts. First bus seems to be 08:55, too late to do the circle route completely I think . . . unless you were really hammering on. and no questions about the route.
snow report
Quote:

Masque

Quote:

offpisteskiing

thanks for the input, still leaning towards Le Praz option juts because it is a known factor (getting lost looking for Bozel would be a crisis).
Still keen to have a go at this in next few weeks, but needing to do some work on convincing my friends.

Updates to follow.

Any offers of lifts (knowing we have those on standby would be a huge help)?
Le Praz to Champagny (circa 1030-1100)
Villaroger to Les Breviers (circa 1400).
(we'll call to keep posted on progress)

Ta
ski holidays
Quick note to say that we have done it.
Ill add a fuller write up later on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy