Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ste Foy - Non Skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've booked to go to Ste Foy in Jan next year, along with my wife, 12 month old daughter and in-laws. The plan is that my wife and I will ski and the in-laws babysit. I just wonder what there is for the non skiers to do and whether they will be able to go up the mountain for the views and mountain restaurant. I realise there are only chairlifts so this may not be possible?

We will have a car and actually wondered if it is feasible to drive to Chamonix for the day?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Nick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first chair is open to pedestrians and there are a couple of restaurants at the top of this lift. It is best to have a car to access the local town on Bourg St Maurice, market on Saturdays, Val d'Isere and Tines are only 20 minutes away Chamonix would be about 3 hours each way.

www.saintefoy.net
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nickr, Personally, I wouldn't take non-skiers to Ste Foy. I know they are trying to do a lot more for non-skiers, but I think you will struggle after couple of days. Ste Foy is an off-piste skiers paradise, if you ski on-piste only, there are only a few runs and you'll get bored fairly quickly. That's my opinion...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick - as Fogliettaz says, you can take the first lift up as a pedestrian. If you want to do some more adventurous walks, it is possible to take the other lifts up as well if you're accompanied by a walking guide (French Accompagnateur or British International Mountain Leader).

There are swimming pool / spa facilities, but access is heavily restricted if you're not staying in the linked accommodation. If you have a car, you can take the kids up to the excellent spa/pool complex in Tignes (20mins drive).

Driving to Chamonix is doable, but it's a long way. Why Chamonix in particular?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sking down from Le Monal a few years ago we met a guided group of several dog-sleds coming up through the woods, so this may be one option for an interesting day's activities (though may not be practical with the youngster Puzzled )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for the info, very useful.

I've been meaning to go to Ste Foy for a couple of years now, especially for the off piste. I'm planning to hire a guide and hopefully try a day ski touring, which I understand is possible with Tarentaise Tours?

I rather selfishly chose the resort because I want to ski there, but that obviously comes at a cost for in-laws (babysitters!!) who wont be skiing. I was particularly interested about whether pedestrains could catch the first chair up the mountain as it would be nice to meet for lunch on occasions, which it seems should be possible. I have checked and we are staying in the apartment complex which has the pool and jacuzzi etc so thats a bonus too.

I was wondering about Chamonix simply because a friend of mine who now lives abroad will be skiing there the same week so would be great to get across to see him. The fact that he's a mountain guide and i get free guiding has nothing to do with it!!! I also thought it would be a nice day out for the in-laws as Chamonix is a pretty spectacular place.

Thanks once again for the replies Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy