Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you mind arriving in resort (very) late for a discount?

Poster: A snowHead
We've been offered around 100 seats on a flight that arrives in Italy at 10:25pm for the Half Term for next year.

After a little faffing around with baggage the passengers would arrive in resort would arrive in resort at around 1:30am

As the flight is a late arrival we can get it for around £100 less than normal.

If we pass this £100 saving on, would you think it would sell ?

Would you mind arriving at 1:30am (no meal waiting, collect hire gear the next morning, etc, etc) if you could save £100

Don't think I'll take it but thought I'd ask anyway
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've arrived at that sort of time on DIY trips in the past (exhausted, disorientated, starving hungry, dying for a pint etc) and it's bloody awful.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about £150 ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, hmmm, last flight of the day on one of the busiest days. Only takes a few knock-on delays through the day (which is highly likely) and your 1:30am could turn into nightmare o'clock.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller,
Yeah I know - that's why I don't think I'll take it.

Plus. As you know every single one of our clients is angelic at normal times but ......... wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a dry run and book a Bulgarian ski holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it was exactly what I was looking for side by side with an identical holiday that got in earlier then maybe-JUST.

What time would the return flight home be?

I have a long way to travel just to get to the airport on the UK side so it tends to be a long tiring day regardless, have my own gear so no need to bear the rental queues in the morn, get to bed up for brekkie catch the first lift. Suspect people with familes may feel different?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, FWIW I wouldn't do it - but then while I'm keen on a bargain I'm not as price sensitive as most. As I see it the problem would be that you wouldn't actually get to bed until about 2 or later. Then up again at 8 (ish) for your first day skiing. No thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And possibly with kids in tow? Definitely not for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does it get you a full extra day's skiing on the last day?

Way back in the day our scheduled arrival on our main transfer was around 21h30 (with a 1 hour bus transfer). Sometimes it went a bit awry but IIRC it meant a 17h30 departure on the last day, so a proper day extra. And it was very popular.

We did however have everyone in chalets so we could ensure that our girls had dinner (something that was easy to to control e.g. boeuf bourguignone) and drinks (even if they'd had to nap while waiting on the new arrivals). I wouldn't see a hotel being able to offer that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
Does it get you a full extra day's skiing on the last day?

No

I'll think I'll leave it. Can see way too many problems.
Think this would be one of thoese things that "seem" like a good idea when booking 6 months prior to departure. But on the day, it maybe wasn't such a brill idea.

Oh well, was just whizzing through the availability for next year on the trade flight sites.
There are LOTS of mostly empty planes around at the mo.

No worries, some school trip TO will take the seats - it works out at about the same as running a bus from the UK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, 100 seats booked that far in advance should mean they pay you to fly if you're getting £100 off - I never pay more that £86, often less to fly into Geneva, so I'm curious what the starting price is for your flight before the unhaggled discount? Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jivebaby wrote:
I never pay more that £86, often less to fly into Geneva,

Can you send me a link to a page that's giving these prices?
I need a few hundred seats for 16 to 23 Feb next year.
Not possible!!

But, like all TO's with the correct bits of paper on file, we've have been offered as many seats as we want for £85 return (plus taxes grrrrrr).

BUT

The risks of taking % seats on stand alone charters are way too big of a risk (for me anyway).
Where do you think all these stupid offers that you see whizzing around come from? (yes I know SH's love late deals) - simple answer is that once you sign up for % seats then you'll pay for them whether you have bums-on-seats or not. Some TO's will do anything just to bring in enough cash to cover the charter costs.

Nope - I like to sleep at night.
You can always earn a few more £'s in this game if your understand how it works, but I prefer to make a little less (much less than some) but be able to guarantee I'll still be around for repeats for the following season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, yeah, more hassle than it's worth, especially as it'll be families with young kids. Far too much grief for everyone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd do it definitely - if you could give me a decent discount, and the flight didn't leave the UK until well into the evening, I could go to work during the day (or at weekends get a load of stuff done) and not waste a load of time arriving in resort at 2pm and spending all afternoon sitting around waiting for day 1. It would also avoid me getting up at 5am to get on an early morning flight, to then arrive at lunchtime, which I hate more than anything else in the world.

Let me know if you book it, and we'd sign up for that. Assume it would make a very cheap trip.

1:30am is nothing. At least the roads will be quiet, and I'll have got up at either normal time or slept in depending on the day.
ski holidays
Monium,
Excellent. Just you and me on the flight Toofy Grin
In fact I had had aother idea Toofy Grin , I can't be that hard to fly a plane (Ive read that they almost fly themselves anyway). I'll be the co-pilot, if you're up for it. You may need to read a book or two, but should be OK.

I think I leave it. There are lots of other flights up for grabs at the mo and there can't be that many people who want to spend the wee small hours on Italian motorways.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-03-12 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The fact there is £100 off is irrelevant what matters is the price you are paying. Since the average price appears to be £150 once all the other bits are added such as luggage, privilage to pay etc It should be a good deal, but if they are offering you £100 off a £500 flight then it is not so good. It also matters where the flight is from and where it is to.

But all things considered arriving at the accommodation at 01:30 does sound too bad at all and much better than leaving home for a 6:30 flight to get to the resort at noon.

Now if you could arrange that for a Friday night I think we would bite your hands off.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
But all things considered arriving at the accommodation at 01:30 does sound too bad at all and much better than leaving home for a 6:30 flight to get to the resort at noon.

I disagree with this just about as much as I have ever disagreed with anything. Dawn flights and early arrivals are absolutely fantastic starts to a ski holiday. Go for lunch, get a feel for the place, sort out lift passes - all in daylight.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Since the average price appears to be £150

To Italy at Half Term, are you sure ?

Anyway we don't seel flight only tickets - this would be part of a half term package
ski holidays
With a flight that might very well be delayed until the following morning, who picks up the cost of putting your punters in a hotel?
snow conditions
I think I wouldn't mind too much really - especially for that sort of discount when skiing is so expensive anyway!
latest report
Wayne,

For what it's worth my opinion is that you won't be able to sell it - I'd take the £100 hit and book a book an earlier flight allocation if it was me . . . .
ski holidays
just adding my two penneth, I wouldn't look at that flight arriving at 0130 if things go well. they don't always go well.
snow report
Wayne, Have you bought Ski Beat Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Wayne, an absolute NO, for reasons every one else had said. 1.30 am arrival is best case scenario, it is likely to be a helluva lot worse than that.

£100- £150 discount is not that significant IMO when you look at the price overall (for that week).

I do think you'd sell them though, most people won't actually bother to look at the flight details until it's too late and then you will get a lot of grief as they complain when they realise even though it's their own fault as they hadn't really paid attention when booking!
snow report
Hmm kids in tow and arriving that late, sounds like a recipe for at least a day or two of a holiday from hell to me!
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
Ok then, the consensus of opinion is sod-it, I won’t bother.
In fact it’s the ideal committee – everyone (almost) agrees with the ideas I had before I even sat down.
Result.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
no way for me,it is a holiday after all........no stress if possible !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my biggest concern would be the knock on from the whole days previous flights - chances are there would be a knock on delay which would push your travel to the next morning and thus you WILL miss your first days skiing
snow conditions
Quote:
Dawn flights and early arrivals are absolutely fantastic starts to a ski holiday.

Excellent troll. I nearly fell for it.
snow conditions
Absolutly no chance. Save £100 but MASSIVE chance of delays and then you need a lie in but have to sort kit hire etc the next morning, plus you loose the value of a meal and wine in the chalet for one night. Sounds like something a cheapo TO would do and send you the flight times after you have booked!
latest report
 cran
cran
Quite hard to get £100 off something that usually costs less than £100 in the first place...

£100 off what? and what about getting back? You have only mentioned the flight there.

Unless you give a bit more detail, and the actual price, how can anyone answer your question?
snow report
johnE wrote:

Each to his own, of course, but I will always actively try to get that sort of flight.

I have my own equipment, and getting a few hours skiing in on arrival day makes a big difference to me. It means that by the time the first full day starts, I've got the basics back.
snow report
Quote:

I've arrived at that sort of time on DIY trips in the past (exhausted, disorientated, starving hungry, dying for a pint etc) and it's bloody awful.

paulio, where did we all get the impression that your DIY trips, even at half term, run like clockwork as well as being cheap as chips?
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Monium,
Excellent. Just you and me on the flight Toofy Grin
In fact I had had aother idea Toofy Grin , I can't be that hard to fly a plane (Ive read that they almost fly themselves anyway). I'll be the co-pilot, if you're up for it. You may need to read a book or two, but should be OK.

I think I leave it. There are lots of other flights up for grabs at the mo and there can't be that many people who want to spend the wee small hours on Italian motorways.

Just realised we are talking about half term. In which case forget it. If I wanted to spend a load of time with hundreds of kids all over the place I'd either have some of my own or become a teacher Very Happy

So it is just you on the plane again unfortunately, you'll have to get sat nav or something. And the idea of being on a coach with a bunch of kids at 1:30am is a very different prospect to my idea of a quiet week sometime during the rest of the season.
latest report
johnE wrote:
I have to say that I agree with this just about as much as I've ever agreed with anything (sorry paulio Laughing ). I cannot abide early flights, I'm personally not interested in even seeing a flight that departs before 10am, preferably noon... Just as well that not everyone has the same view on flight times, otherwise we'd all pay through the roof to get on the same flight and there would be loads of planes flying around empty... (Which is, as I understand it, company policy at Air France-KLM these days Shocked ).

Personally, as someone who generally flies on my own (and never with children), it would be an ideal option for me. That said, if I had kids in tow I'm not sure that anything could induce me to take an option which would arrive in resort beyond midnight. However, my input is somewhat moot anyway, as I will only ever set a ski down in a ski resort during half-term if I'm being paid for the dis-privilege (yes, I know I just made that word up...)
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

paulio, where did we all get the impression that your DIY trips, even at half term, run like clockwork as well as being cheap as chips?

I have no idea what this question means.
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
Dawn flights and early arrivals are absolutely fantastic starts to a ski holiday.

I always pick flights before 9am if I possibly can. I fail to see what part of that indisputable fact is 'trolling'. I guess you don't really even understand the words that you're using, eh.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
johnE wrote:

Each to his own, of course, but I will always actively try to get that sort of flight.

I have my own equipment, and getting a few hours skiing in on arrival day makes a big difference to me. It means that by the time the first full day starts, I've got the basics back.

ski holidays
trolling to me means something completely different!!!
Anyway, like skisimon, I usually travel on my own and also without kids, so late flight times wouldn't bother me at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy