Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
After a recent, rather unpleasant uphill walk at the end of a day at Vallee Blanche (everyone talks about the arrete, but NO ONE warns you about the stupidly steep walk at the end of the day when you're tired!), I have decided my old backpack needs to be retired and replaced with something that'll work. My requirements are:

1. A frame ski carry, diagonal optional.
2. Hydration sleeve, bladder optional
3. Large enough to take avi kit
4. Wet compartment for skins etc should I choose to head that way with my skiing
5. Should be able to carry one alpine ski boot when used as "carry on" luggage? Just the one as the other goes into my bag.

Based on my reading, I need something atleast 20L or larger? Most Dakine backpacks are out as they only have diagonal ski carry.

I have spotted these on sale but would welcome other suggestions.

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/32321/products/camelbak_pit_boss_black_back_pack.aspx

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Marmot-Sidecountry-20-Pack.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, that final bootpack is a bit of a killer, isn't it?

I've just been researching bigger bags for longer trips, but a few smaller ones caught my eye...

30l should be quite enough for a day's worth of kit. I use OMM Jirishanca (which claims to be 35l, but is more like 30) which nicely fitted a down jacket, microfleece, water pouch, lunch, skins and crampons on the inside, and a shovel behind the compression thing on the outside. The majority of the other people I was with used Deuter Guide 35+. If you're not taking spare anything you could get away with losing 5-10l capacity, but generally I worry about breaking a leg and needing to keep warm til the helicopter turns up hence the spare jacket. I drybag important things on the inside, so having a separate 'wet' pocket wasn't important... the skins didn't hold enough moisture to concern me (but they were new).

The Osprey Variant looks good, I'm seriously considering getting the 50l but they also do a 28 and 37 which would fit your needs a bit better.

The Blue Ice 30l is also worth a look. Their 45l bag has been recommended to me by quite a few people, but they're inconvenient to find and look at in person. And that's the most important bit... if you can't check the fit, be prepared to have to post the bag back for a refund/exchange if it turns out you've got an inconvenient shape back. There are some really nice looking made-to-order packs in the states by Cold Cold World and Cilo Gear, but that's a bit of a risk to take on expensive gear!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serriadh, yup, it's absolutely murderous!

Thanks for taking the time to write a response, I've got more reading to do now. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love the Deuter Guide 35+ for hiking and ski touring. It's bomb proof, comfortable and just the right size for hut to hut touring, and not too big for day hikes (although I do have a smaller sac I use for day trips anyway)

It doesn't have a "wet compartment", but I don't rate those anyway. Far better to use a waterproof stuff sac - it's more flexible and they are easy to clean if they get muddy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One reason not to choose the Deuter is if you're a bit of a weight weenie. The Jirishanca is 800g lighter (and its still pretty heavy and tough compared to real lightweight bags!), and the Osprey Variant 52 weighs the same amount but is a hell of a lot more capacious. Presumably you're not actually going to be doing much rock climbing or hauling this bag over rock, and there's a limit to how heavy 30l of ski gear can be. No need to go overboard with super indestructable fabrics and overengineered load bearing harnesses.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
True, it's not the lightest, but when you strap skis to the outside and bash it around a bit you'll be glad of the heavier fabric, the Deuter sacs can take a lot of abuse. I'm sure others can too of course, but if you go lighter you are going to sacrifice something. If you want to reduce weight for climbing you can remove the frame and the padded hip belt from the Deuter - not sure of the exact weight saving but it's probably bout 500g.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had a couple of problems with my Osprey Kode recently. Nothing to do with practicality or build quality, both of which are top notch... the problem is with the clips getting caught on various designs of chairlift. That's 3 or 4 times now that I've had a nervous exit from a chair after getting snagged.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, I was put of the Osprey sacs for that reason - I'm sure the various clips and straps are useful but to me they just get in the way too much.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BD Covert Avalung 22l.

Plenty of room for day trips, separate section for avi kit/skins, avalung, both modes of ski carry, absolutely bombproof - over 60 weeks ski use + normal day-to-day use and the only signs of wear is that the rubber avalung logo is starting to rub off. Fantastic build quality.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:
I've had a couple of problems with my Osprey Kode recently. Nothing to do with practicality or build quality, both of which are top notch... the problem is with the clips getting caught on various designs of chairlift. That's 3 or 4 times now that I've had a nervous exit from a chair after getting snagged.

I got one this year, but never had a problem with this.

I do tend to get rid of clips and straps I won't be using though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah wrote:
True, it's not the lightest, but when you strap skis to the outside and bash it around a bit you'll be glad of the heavier fabric, the Deuter sacs can take a lot of abuse. I'm sure others can too of course, but if you go lighter you are going to sacrifice something.

In this case, the Jirishanca sacrifices the frame, which to my mind isn't really that useful in a small bag... frames help to carry big loads, and there's only so much you can squeeze into a small pack. The bag is made from dyneema... it isn't a fragile bit of kit. It has happily stood up to a fair amount of abuse, skiing, climbing and hiking, and I got it second hand after a decent amount of use.

Anyway, on a different note... Dynafit apparently make some bags, and they look interesting. Take a look at this little gimmick:
http://youtube.com/v/5shhyBmjDY4
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got a Osprey Kode 30ltr with the rear back panel access still a few 22ltr sizes about.
Not used it yet but the fit seems very good and the price was right .
Hope I,m not too disapointed with the loose straps or otherwise ,the other option seemed to be a ortovox freerider .
Not sure if I have made the right choice but they seem better than a dakine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check out the Deuter Guide Lite series:

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/alpine_+_snowsport/guide_deuter_backpacks/

Had a fondle of these the other day in Go Outdoors. Very light, minimum of straps and buckles - just the ones you want, and available in men's and women's (SL) fit. Mrs A has just plumped for the 40+ SL for touring.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stash BC from BCA got lots of attention on recent trip - mostly the helmet mesh to firmly attach helmet to exterior of pack, usable even with a-frame skis and poles up on sides. Also with my jacket, shoes and gloves inside it, it got some "omg what have you got in there??!" comments... I personally rate how flat it packs when empty, owing to the great cinching/expansion straps top and bottom, both sides). Also the bladder is 3L and worth £30 approx, so having paid £80 via SnowShepherd (using mega snowheads discount), it's phenomenal value.

I'd not used a pack before tbh, so bear that in mind, but I used the pack all week, including up some rock-climbs of 5 - 10ft (I fell in love with A-frame even for short hops up rocks - it's SO awesome to be hands free when scrambling or walking home after a hard day) Little Angel and it felt solid, comfortable, and always ready for more stuff all the time. I reckon it'll take a sleeping bag 'n stove etc for when I go camping too.

Highly recommended.

Edit : oh and the sternum strap does move up and down, I wasn't sure if it would, but it does Very Happy
Edit 2 : oh and the fleece lined goggle/glasses pocket rocks.
Pic -
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, clarky999, JaMMi, mosha Marc, thanks for your reviews and slightly dodgy pics! Wink

Would I be able to stuff a single ski boot into one of your backpacks? Standard 29.5 size. Would there be space left over for a book, ipad and goggles? Thanks.
snow report
Make sure the ski carry loops take your skis. The A frame loops on my Osprey aren't big enough.

EDIT - I was wrong they do fit. Not sure why I thought they didn't.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-01-13 0:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Duke wrote:
Make sure the ski carry loops take your skis. The A frame loops on my Osprey aren't big enough.

Which Osprey, and how fat are your skis, though?
latest report
Duke, really??

I can get 140mm tails in mine, which I couldn't on my old Ortovox Freeride.
snow report
Osprey Switch
Scott Missions

EDIT I was wrong, they do fit.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-01-13 0:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Rishie wrote:
shoogly, clarky999, JaMMi, mosha Marc, thanks for your reviews and slightly dodgy pics! Wink

Would I be able to stuff a single ski boot into one of your backpacks? Standard 29.5 size. Would there be space left over for a book, ipad and goggles? Thanks.

Yup, wouldn't leave much room though.
snow report
Quote:

5. Should be able to carry one alpine ski boot when used as "carry on" luggage? Just the one as the other goes into my bag.

Out of interest, why?

I've heard of people taking both boots as carry-on because they worry about losing them, but just one?
snow report
You'd get the boot in, with room to spare. I'll check tonight to be sure...

Admins - please feel free to seriously reduce the size of that pic... Shocking.
ski holidays
Yeah boot fits in fine in the Stash BC. Two nearly fit, using the shovel compartment section too but not quite.
snow conditions
sah, because despite Dakine's claims to the contrary, once I put a pair of skis in my double ski bag, only one boot can fit in there! And I want to keep the no. of bags it are on holiday to a minimum. (currently ski bag with clothes and a backpack as carry on)

clarky999, JaMMi, Thanks, you're both stars! Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 22-03-12 10:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Rishie, ah, I see! Annoying.

I haven't checked, but in that case I'd probably not advise the Deuter Guide 35+, it is quite narrow. It might just fit a boot, but it would be very tight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy