Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to honeymoon with snow in May?

Poster: A snowHead
My step-son and his fiancé are looking to get married in May 2013 and want to ski for their honeymoon - they don't want to go to the expense of too far away as it will be my daughter-in-laws 2nd time on snow. I'm a bit stumped for ideas for them. Will the glaciers be open? If so, which would you suggest?
I suppose that in May too, other outdoor activities would be welcome (stop sniggering in the back row there...)
Help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michelle, May you'd need to be thinking of glaciers, though possibly you might catch the end of season concert in Ischgl if you could get there for the last week of April.

http://www.ischgl.com/index.en.htm

But I'd suggest Hintertux. There's good hiking and it's pretty.

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle, - I have skied on all of the glaciers in Austria over the past few years- and my favourite one is the Stubai Glacier about an hours drive from Innsbruck. It has a more varied and interesting terrain than the likes of Kaprun and Hintertux and is much bigger. My wifes birthday is in the middle of May and we are looking to sort out an indepedent trip to include 3 days on the glacier. There is a freeride school based in Neustift that arranges guiding right through May. Last year we skied Ischgl at the end of April early May and took in the end of season concert ( the Killers) this year Maria Carey is starring and this is not really our type of music ,hence plan B. If you google Stubai Gletscher you will find the web site that has all the info, web cams, accomodation etc. The Stubai valley is a fantastic place in Spring and is great for mountain biking, hiking, tennis etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle, Whistler? Needn't be expensive with reasonably priced flights...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alans deep bath, is Whistler open in May?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info so far guys! Alans deep bath, they'd considered Canada, but want to leave that until she was happier on the snow and could make the most of it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen,
Quote:

Alans deep bath, is Whistler open in May?

Answer,, yes, Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier, actually answer... no. Blackcomb is though!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michelle, Dubai Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen, Whistler/Blackcomb = one area
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm
Snowheads has always seemed a mine of useful info to me so it always amazes me when this question comes up and nobody suggests Riksgransen.

Got to riksgransen. Somewhere north of the Arctic circle on the Norway Sweden border. Only opens in February and just about getting going by May. We went for a week at the end of May and had great fresh powder most days. The highlight was definitely the water skiiing....... The lake was frozen solid and had lovely snow on top so we hitched up to skiddoos and really went for it. Read 90km/h on the speedo at one point. Excellent...
anyway, go there, none of this glacier nonsens.

cheers
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist, sounds good - interesting to google it. got any pictures?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
freeheelskier, fair point. That's why I mentioned Blackcomb was open in my post. But Whistler mountain actually closes this year on April 22 whilst Blackcomb mountain remains open to 21 May.

"Last Day For Skiing And Riding On Whistler Mountain:
Sunday, April 22, 2012

Last day for Skiing and Snowboarding on Whistler Mountain. Note: Blackcomb Mountain remains open to May 21, 2012 for Skiing and Snowboarding."

TheGeneralist wrote:
hmm
Snowheads has always seemed a mine of useful info to me so it always amazes me when this question comes up and nobody suggests Riksgransen.

I've always thought Scandinavia might be quite pricey? How did it stack up when you were there? (and actually Scandinavia does get mentioned a fair amount).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've always thought Scandinavia might be quite pricey

Riksgränsen is not more pricey than the famous resorts in france, Norway is expencive but Riksgränsen is in Sweden, the best time there is may, they hve open from mid february to mid june, take care about the days 15-17 may, Scandinavian freeskiing championship, it use to be very crowdy, the most easy way to get there is to take the night train from Stockholm, Im complete sure that a week in Riksgränsen will not cost more than a week in Tignes, and the snow is alot better in Riksgränsen in May,, In Norway there also is Stryn Sommerskicenter, start at end of may, Juvasshytta summerski start beginning of may and Folgefonna summerski start at beginning of may, but its Norway and a little more expensive, but very good snow in the summer, if someone is interrested at the norwegien summerski I can put up information about it in a own thread on SnowHeads
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freeheelskier, that would be great- yes please!

.Michelle, Zermatt might work and the glacier will be open- ticks the romantic box as well.
ski holidays
Chris Angus,
Quote:

freeheelskier, that would be great- yes please!

I do it this weekend, no time in the weeks Sad
snow report
Michelle, Maybe they should have a pre-wedding honeymoon like my friends daughter who is marrying an army boy & he can't get time off afterwards Laughing
snow conditions
Zermatt!
ski holidays
Honeymoon and skiing, especially if not a good standard, don't really go together imo! If you have energy for Apres (wink, wink!) you have not been skiing hard enough!
But if they insist...New Zealand? Chile? The first of the new season rather than the end of the last... Or just have a lovely short & cheap ish honeymoon somewhere pretty (Austria?) and book a week next season for skiing.
Who said Milton Keynes?!
Mind you for a new skier that's really not a bad idea for the new daughter in law. Then she will be able to keep up on family trips with you Michelle.
ski holidays
Why is cervinia not mentioned in this thread?

I am looking at some late season skiing with my wife to celebrate turning 40 and thought this to be ideal?
ski holidays
Cervinia closes 6 May.
latest report
snowyowl, that would be very early for southern hemisphere. Not impossible. But very early.

dave_m, No idea. Maybe because you didn't suggest it till now?
snow report
Michelle wrote:
My step-son and his fiancé are looking to get married in May 2013 and want to ski for their honeymoon - they don't want to go to the expense of too far away as it will be my daughter-in-laws 2nd time on snow. I'm a bit stumped for ideas for them. Will the glaciers be open? If so, which would you suggest?
I suppose that in May too, other outdoor activities would be welcome (stop sniggering in the back row there...)
Help!

There is only one ski resort on the entire planet that meets all your criteria for snow, glacier, proximity, timing, cost, scenery, romance, and outdoor action.

It is Zermatt, Switzerland.

Norway, Austria, Italy, France, Canada, NZ, Chile and others do not match overall the criteria anywhere near as well as Zermatt.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
Whitegold, I think last season Zermatt was closing second weekend in May and reopen mid june Puzzled Say to me if I get wrong,,
snow conditions
Not too sure on the dates re Zermatt but it would tick all the romantic boxes for a honeymoon. My parents actually honeymooned in Zermatt in the summer - they absolutely loved it.
latest report
..OK, I've been married a while and can do the romance before I go......would cervinia tick all the other boxes?

Maybe scratch scenery too
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
Whitegold, I think last season Zermatt was closing second weekend in May and reopen mid june Puzzled Say to me if I get wrong,,

fhs, Zermatt's glacier is open every day of the year, from Jan to Dec.

It is the last remaining truly yearround glacier.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Zermatt's glacier ... is the last remaining truly yearround glacier.

Or the last one remaining in Switzerland anyway.

Hintertux is also year round and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other (non-Alpine) glaciers too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mammoth is usually open pretty late - combine that with a trip to San Fran and you have a winner!

(*I did read the bit about budget etc but this would be my choice*)
snow conditions
Quote:

Zermatt's glacier is open every day of the year, from Jan to Dec.

Whitegold, Zermatt was closed the 3 weeks in may I was for work in Visp last year Puzzled
snow report
I second TheGeneralist - Riksgransen. Stunningly beautiful area, heli tours available, cheap enough flights with Norwegian into Halstad/Narvik. Great food, very friendly people. The hotel is not the cheapest but overall - great spot. Hire a car at the airport and you can head to Narvik for skiing and just out and about to see the place. Definitely should look at it. Also pretty cool to be able to say you spent your honeymoon in the the arctic circle.
snow conditions
Thanks very much for all your input guys - I'll make sure that they get to see this snowHead
snow conditions
don't know the details but we skied on saas fee glacier a few years ago in mid-summer. my wife's brother and kids were over from the US for summer ski camp (her neice was on the fringes of the junior US team) so we drove down from munich for a long weekend.

i had my biggest ever wipeout on the skier-cross track there, catching some huge air at racing speed vs my wife. oh how she laughed once she knew i was alive and relatively undamaged!

have to say that northern sweden sounds good though. might have to keep that in mind for the future.
snow conditions
Sasa Fee tends to shut early May for lift maintanence but is a great resort for end of season skiing.
ski holidays
ah yes, saas fee looks to be shut for skiing/boarding between 22/4 and 9/7, now i've had a look.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Hintertux is also year round and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other (non-Alpine) glaciers too.

Hintertux has had to close for lack of snow in the recent past.

Its glacier is shrinking.

It is longer guaranteed yearround.
latest report
Whitegold, out of curiosity when? In May?
latest report
Hi Michelle ,

I am new to the forum but I am pretty sure Tignes is still open. I know the glacier opens up from the 16 June until 02 September.

Hope this helps
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Hintertux has had to close for lack of snow in the recent past.

Its glacier is shrinking.

It is longer guaranteed yearround.

The nice lady that I spoke to in Hintertux just laughed at you and said you were completely wrong and that they have never had to close for lack of snow in the summer. There's a first eh? You making a bold statement that other's reckon to be total rubbish wink

As they say on their website "Perfect levels of snow are guaranteed 365 days of the year at Austria’s only all year round ski region, the Hintertuxer Glacier!"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy