Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing since 1999, but now want to buy first ever ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title states i have been skiing since 1999, some times i do two trips a season, some times once.

I have always hired ski's. I reckon i pay £50-£60 to hire each week i ski.

I want to buy my own ski's

This year i skiid in La Rosiere in January and booked intermediate ski's from ski set and got Rossignol Alias 74Ltd length was 176cm

Just come back from St Sorlin D'Arves, where i booked imtermediate skis through ski set and got Rossignol Zenith ZX 3D length 172cm

I found the ZX 3d seemed to be stiffer, than the Alias 74Ltd, but liked both

I am 183cm tall and weigh 13 and a half stone

i would class myself as a good intermediate, i can do reds, blacks, but dont do much of piste.

suggestions please Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bump Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also i have been recommended to get Rossi Zenith Z72 Carbon in 170cm, any thoughts, help views, ideas!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your stats are pretty much identical to me. You even seem to be happy on skis that are arguably 5cm too short for you, which I used to do as well.

I bought my first skis this year. Dynastar Legend Sultan 85, in a 178cm - longer than I ever used to ride when I rented. They're the 2010 model I think, not this year's.

Took a bit of getting used to, but I love them now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio,
What is the problem with skis that are too short please?
I'm about 173cm in hight and weigh about 13 st (all muscle Smile )
The last skis I had were Salomon XT800s at 161cm which I did think might be too short but I loved them and I did some pretty fast skiing.
I'm a bit puzzled by the whole which are the right skis debate.
Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno really. There's an accepted/calculated 'right' size for skier type/height/ski type. And I've been told a few times that I'm going too short. It turns out I, like you, like the slightly shorter planks. So when I bought my own, I bit the bullet and went for more conventionally sized ones. Took some getting used to, and then I really got into them.

I'm not the best person to be asking mind you. I only answered the OP because his stats struck a chord.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well i have now spoken to two different ski shops, one advises 170cm and one advises 176cm.

Bearing in mind this year i have skiid on 172cm and 176cm I am even more confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, I got that from different ski shops too.

I reckon you could ski 176cm easily, it won't cause any problems. Also if they have any tip rocker (a lot do these days) they will ski a bit shorter. Ideally you want to have a go on both and see what you prefer, but realistically that 4cm won't make a particularly noticeable difference - 4cm is really not much when you think about it...

For the record I'm 173cm and skiing 180cm currently (albeit with massive twin tips which cuts the effective length somewhat). They're still easily skiable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As it stands i am looking at either the
Rossignol Alias 74Ltd in 176cm
Rossignol Zenith Z72 Carbon in 176cm
Rossignol Z2 in 176cm

All priced between £220 and £260 with bindings

Its just deciding which is the better of these three skis, the only one with rocker technology is the Alias 74Ltd, which i have skiid on Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy