Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Advice please : Geneva - uncrowded (and snowy) resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could I tap into all your amazing downhill resort knowledge please?

Six day cheeky Easter trip, up to two hours from Geneva. Priorities are snow (doh) and lack of crowds.

Now, snow I should be able to work out (tho' advice always welcome), but how busy are different places? We'd like to avoid queues (I have been horribly spoilt and queued precisely once and I couldn't really see the attraction) and busy pistes. Other things less important.

Currently the front runners are:
Samoens/ Morzine/ La Clusaz/ Valloire.

Other suggestions very gratefully received of course.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Badpanda, Morzine/Chatel and up to Avoriaz or stay in Avoriaz? Easter will not be hugely crowded in France as the French generally don't ski late season. Though it sounds like you have indeed been horribly spoilt and in fact anywhere will be considered busy wink wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Badpanda, Easters' the wrong time to avoid queues!
Not been to the resorts you mentioned but I have been to the 3V's, in particular Val Thorens. I'd expect it to be busy but not too bad though. It would also depend on conditions in the lower resorts as they'll bus in to VT if conditions are poor lower down. It's also not a cheap time as it's a mainstream holiday period, schools off etc....
We were in VT easter 2011 and the snow was ok 2000m + but lower down the valley there were green fields instead of snow covered pistes. Hopefully better this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just avoid any resort well-known and well frequented by Brits and you should be fine. The French schools are not off during the first 2 weeks of April, so the slopes will not be too full of French, other than the weekend days.

Go and look at the snow reports of Samoens, Morzine etc, as Easter is only 2 weeks away, if there is snow at the bottom still, you should be fine for 2 weeks time! We're off to Les Houches, low lying, but there's still 40cm left at the bottom. A few too many Brits there, but we'll put up with them Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about St Francois Longchamp? This place is only 230 euro for 4 persons, first week of Easter. 2 hours from Geneve, same as Valloire. 70cm of snow currently at level of ski-in apartments.
http://www.goelia.com/residence-vacances/st-francois-longchamp/goelia-residence-les-4-vallees.139.2.php#
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do resorts in France get busy at Easter. I go to L2A every school Easter holidays and it's never been crowded at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix will be busy for the weekend then not at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, my experience is the same. We go every year - iirc the only silly queue one year was first thing in the morning at Les Eucherts/La Rosiere. Very few French, mostly Brits,Dutch and Belgians. Other resorts I've been to at that time include Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, Flaine/Les Carroz, Les Contamines - can't give a true verdict on Les Arcs or La Plagne as the snow was so poor last year. That's the first year in about eight that it was a real challenge.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Badpanda, take Morzine and Samoens off your list - both will have big morning queues for gondolas

2 hours gets you to Les Coches if you put the pedal to the metal
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Do resorts in France get busy at Easter

Not in my experience - I don't think French schools are on holiday in early April. Les Contamines would be a good destination. The Espace Diamant will still be open too: the top of Notre Dame de Bellecombe (and Praz sur Arly) should offer good skiing and very little in the way of queues. Going rate for a 2 bedroom piste side apartment in our place is 350 euros/week in early April.

You can probably afford to wait and see about snow. Last year was unusually poor. The weather this year seems to be in the balance - it's been exceptionally warm but the very good snow cover means that conditions should still be better than last year. Les Saisies still has 143 cms down in the village and 190 cms at 2000m - though it must be getting pretty slushy given the hot temperatures recently. If you stay away from the big ski factories you shouldn't have too much problem picking up accommodation at the last minute, if you're flexible.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, many many thanks for all the advice.

We're OK with one queue I'm sure - it's just doing it all day. Which gets Morzine etc back in. Aaaah, decisions.

You're right about us being spoilt - too many of those little French resorts where you get your own personal piste and you have to clear an inch of snow off the chairlift.....

Think 3Vs and Les Coches too far. Don't want to lose precious snowy hours in the car.

Pamw - hiya btw - am rather tempted by Les Contamines (know it from the Tour de Mont Blanc in summer); good accom too it seems; but website says several pistes closed. ED looks rather low tho'.

Agree about advantages of "French" places; but the only place with Brits on slope (Champoluc) was lovely - everyone just pottered and chatted leaving us to zoom about unhindered.

Really must make decision this week....

Thanks once again!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Badpanda, Morzine is the one. From Mr Biased Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Badpanda Don't rule out the 3 Vallees. If you are used to small French places it may (literally Toofy Grin) blow your mind. Access from St Martin de Belleville is about 90-105 mins from Geneva, cheap digs down the hill in Moutiers.

Or what about Combloux - which is big and linked to Megeve? Reasonably priced digs 15 mins away in the valley town of Sallanches.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get a 4 person apartment in Combloux for 1 week from 41st March in for only 176 euro, surely better than 15 minutes away?
http://www.goelia.com/residence-vacances/combloux/goelia-la-grande-cord-ne.182.2.php
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wildnoon wrote:
from 41st March

Isn't that just a little too late in the season? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy