Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes 60 Years old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From todays Le dauphine

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/03/17/il-y-a-60-ans-le-village-de-tignes-etait-englouti-par-les-eaux?image=6F4799BE-CFD3-4E90-94A8-1203AAFFBA14#galery

The remains of the old village can still be seen when the dam is at its lowest.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward, Yes, I was in Tignes a few years ago when they drained the reservoir completely, for repairs to the dam I think, and the remains of the church were completely uncovered. From what I understand Tignes as a resort came in to being as a result of a "deal" between the inhabitants of the old village and the government / EDF to flood the valley. I think that is a fairly common history for several French resorts created in the 50's and 60's ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where did the Tignards go? Always a shame to see a village destroyed, like Imber on Salisbury plain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, Reading a bit more of that article I think "deal" is not perhaps the best word. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/5128d9b8fb6de176.html
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/a6ee99a2a2098b1b.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

CRS keeping an eye on the Tignards dismantling their church.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The "Maison de Tignes le lac", near the bottom of the Aeroski, has (it was there a few years ago when I stayed in Tignes) an area showing the history of Tignes with lots of words and pictures about the old village and the construction of the dam.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adrian, and well worth a visit too. I went two years ago.

Apparently, all the buildings in the village were destroyed prior to flooding, apart from the church. When the dam is drained every decade, a group of the remaining Tignards go down and hold a service in what is left of it.

Also, the life expectancy of the dam was 50 years. That date has now expired, which is worth remembering next time you're down in Les Brevieres Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Double post!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-03-12 17:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andersont, 5 or 6 lucky families moved up to the new Tignes and 10 years later became very rich. Most of the rest got shipped to Lille (yes The Scunthorpe of France!) and some to Marseilles I believe. One of the originals died at the start of the season - the local hero who spent some time as a guest of La Republique for using his World War 2 Army taught demolition skills to try and delay/stop the building of the dam!
WiRED, The dam was lifed for 100 years - the locals liked to baptise kids in the ruins of the old church to tie give them a sense of identity - with a view to them reclaiming the land after the dam comes down - this seems to havedied out - indeed the local town hall meetings are now longer bedevilled by people complaining about the 60 year old injustice.
They now no longer need to drain every 10 years as they do the inspections from mini submarine thingys
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy