Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else lose their appetite while skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
For some reason I find I never want to eat much on ski holidays - not at lunch anyway. I literally have to force food down me at lunch. I always pick the smallest thing on the menu, and even then I struggle.

Now I'm not anorexic .. far from it!

I see some people packing away huge platefuls at lunch and I don't know how they do it. I'm never hungry until dinner time!

I really want to try those snow boobs in Austria (germknodel) but I know I'd never manage more than a couple of mouthfuls...(oo-er)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weird Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wish!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same here, not much at lunch or if I am hungry and have a full meal then don't really bother with dinner.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lays.

Bacon. Salt and Vinegar. Paprika. You name it, I'll annihilate a bag in one post-ski sitting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lost half a stone in Austria last week despite copious amounts of beer. Ate breakfast, had a meal some days at lunchtime but soup only on two and salad on another and never felt particularly hungry in the evening.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davkt and Corky, glad it's not just me.

I would point out I'm female, whether that makes a difference or not I don't know.

I don't normally struggle to eat, I just find I'm not hungry when I'm skiing. Maybe it's the beer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm male, my eating (I'm cheap to feed all the time) doesn't change really when I'm skiing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not really, but I don't get as much time to eat as I usually would.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i eat more. usually starving by 2:30 when finally stopping for lunch. too nice (empty) to stop while the part time skiers are eating
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piccadilly, Well I'm male so not sure gender has got anything to do with it, as with you it could be the beer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
I wish!
+1
That said a) I tend to lose weight when I ski, even though I usually eat far more than I do at home; and b) if I ski to the point of getting really dog-tired, then I don't feel like eating. (Got so knackered skiing in January that I didn't bother with dinner on two occasions. Anyone who knows me at all will realise that I must have been under the weather at the time! Laughing)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altitude can supress apetite in some people.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Altibar sells half lobster for the smaller appetite
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Seriously?

I never knew this, if that's true.
ski holidays
Piccadilly wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Seriously?

Yes, it's true.

Also, excessive execise surpresses apetite too. If you were 'dog-tired', that sounds bordering excessive.

One more thing, are you drinking enough? I mean water, not beer. If you're dehydraded, you would lose apetite too. Dehydration makes altitude issue worse too. So it's a double effect.

That said, I eat more while on skiing holidays. I always thought it's the cold.
latest report
I usually skip breakfast at home but always make sure I eat before hitting the slopes, whether its this or the fact I don't want to waste time while the lifts are open that supresses my appetite lunchtime I don't know but I rarely eat more than a couple of biscuits or maybe a bowl of soup during the day, I too am female but if you saw me you would know that makes no diff to my appetite any other time! Very Happy
latest report
I can't eat as much at lunchtime.....usually a good brekkie so a sandwich is enough. A plate of pasta or the like would finish me off for the day!!
snow conditions
Piccadilly, I hardly eat when skiing too.
I usually share the Germknödel with my kids. Sometimes I have a soup but I almost always never finish it. I always feel like throwing up when I am skiing after lunch if I eat too much.
snow conditions
kioksor wrote:
i eat more. usually starving by 2:30 when finally stopping for lunch. too nice (empty) to stop while the part time skiers are eating

So by eating later this somehow means you are no longer a 'part time' skier?!?! Puzzled rolling eyes

Or maybe you are a professional skier and I have misunderstood

Anyway on the subject, I really wish I had this problem, but much the opposite, I tend to manage three dinner sized meals a day way skiing ( although normally by the time I get back my stomach feels sick at the thought of any more cheese!!!
ski holidays
Nope, always starving, always lose weight in the week though, even with several gallons of Stiegl thrown in?!?

Skiing must be well up the list in terms of overall aerobic activity?
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Piccadilly wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Seriously?

Yes, it's true.

Also, excessive execise surpresses apetite too. If you were 'dog-tired', that sounds bordering excessive.

One more thing, are you drinking enough? I mean water, not beer. If you're dehydraded, you would lose apetite too. Dehydration makes altitude issue worse too. So it's a double effect.

Think it is keeping properly hydrated that keeps me from getting hungry
latest report
Does the pattern of your day affect things?

I have a big breakfast, then ski until about 11.30 and have a half hour hot chocolate stop with a mars bar or something. To take advantage of the quieter slopes we then ski until about 2pm and then stop for lunch. We normally only ski back to base after lunch as it's 3pm by then and as we almost always ski in January when the lifts stop at 4-4.30.
ski holidays
I do when I'm in Austria
latest report
I'm the opposite - I get really hungry and like to eat a substantial lunch.
latest report
I too am the opposite - I use up so much energy the first few days skiing I have two lunches - one before the usual rush, and another afterwards, thus avoiding the queues !
snow report
I'm quite happy with a sandwich, soup and a roll or something similar. However I can manage a bigger lunch also and tend to do so a couple of times in a week. I was defeated though by what can only be described as a tartiflette pizza in Tignes a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
Yes, I don't have a big appetite whilst skiing. Light breakfast, light lunch (we often share a plate of chicken wings and chips, and that does fine) and ordinary sort of dinner, rarely with a pudding (as my OH loves puddings but is diabetic, I usually try to avoid them except for occasional treats). I always have a couple of mini chocolate bars with me out skiing, but very rarely eat one. If I really wanted to lose, say, half a stone I could do it far more easily on a ski holiday than at home. I could very happily munch on snacks such as salted nuts and crisps, with a pre-dinner drink, but generally don't have any available (I find that's much the best way to avoid eating them!). Ditto with puddings - could happily eat a nice pudding every day, but then I'd definitely put on weight.

On the other hand I drove for a few hours yesterday, having made myself a cheese sandwich to eat en route, and by 11 am was having to tell myself sternly it was far too early - eventually ate it at 11.45! I find that if I am happily and getting some exercise I am much less inclined to overeat than when a bit bored (e.g driving) or sitting around. I'm not surprised that people who spend a lot of time on the sofa watching telly are so often overweight - I'd be the size of a house if I did that much, within easy reach of snacks.

I find that the more I eat, the more I want to eat. If I get into bad habits of an extra slice of toast for breakfast, or some high-calories snacks with a drink, I'm more likely to overeat at the subsequent meal too.

Exercise, in moderation, definitely helps moderate appetite for me and, of course, usefully raises the metabolic rate. Also, frankly, the kind of downhill skiing I do definitely counts as only very moderate exercise - using machines to do all the hard work. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:

It's Pedantica who's the dog-tired one, I wouldn't say I ski to the point of exhaustion. I never thought of dehydration. I do try to drink plenty at breakfast and I carry water in my rucksack, but maybe that could be a factor.

kooky wrote:
Piccadilly, I hardly eat when skiing too.
I usually share the Germknödel with my kids. Sometimes I have a soup but I almost always never finish it. I always feel like throwing up when I am skiing after lunch if I eat too much.

Yes, this! I feel peckish at lunch, but after a few mouthfuls I just can't eat any more. I left most of a huge salad at one lunch stop last year and felt very guilty.

robboj wrote:
Does the pattern of your day affect things?

Possibly, on Mark Warner holidays the lunch stop is at 12.00 which is quite early for me..

I always manage to pack away the evening meal though, and I like the 4.30 soup and a roll! Very Happy

Maybe it's a combination of altitude/exercise/dehydration/early lunch. I'm glad other people are the same though!

Perhaps I won't bother trying to force lunch down me anymore, I'll just take chocolate bars instead and eat later.
ski holidays
I get really hungry and I can't really ski (or do anything at all for that matter) when hungry so I tend to eat quite a lot.

I could eat pretty much constantly at home if I didn't mind being morbidly obese, I think the exercise from skiing all day allows me to indulge that...
latest report
I often wonder wny folk eat big meals before they go skiing.

Eating big meals (breakfast or lunch) isnt a really a good idea before physical exercise.

Once you’ve eaten a meal or snack, allow between one and four hours to pass before you start exercising

Your body needs time to digest. The amount of time will depend on the amount of food you've eaten.

If it's an average meal, eating around two hours before you exercise works well. The meal should be high in carbohydrate, low in fat and low to moderate in protein.

Too much protein or fat will slow down the movement of foods from the stomach, and will make you feel uncomfortable.
snow report
Lots of noshing and lots of beer on my ski hols Laughing thakfully, due to the exercise, my ski pants still fit on the last day
latest report
Just back from a week in Chatel. Weight same as when I went away. I'm always hungry when skiing.

Routine this week was tea, porridge with dried fruit and banana, coffee for breakfast. Coffee stop late morning with a muesli bar. Lunch at around 14.00 (we ski whilst everyone is in the restaurant) which is whatever I fancy (salad, soup & roll, omelette and chips, picnic with usual ham/cheese baguette - no, not all at once!) usually no booze. Lots of water - 750ml bottle before breakfast, during morning, during afternoon.

Beer on the balcony or a G&T, big dinner, lots of water plus a few glasses of wine (sometimes more than wise).

If I tried this while at work I'd be the shape of a barrel!
ski holidays
I often finds that I weigh about the same after a skiing holiday but that my clothes are a little looser. Probably a bit more toned.
ski holidays
Quite the opposite!
latest report
Always amazes me how much the British holidaymaker eats - if i did the same I'd be the size if a small elephant within a week. Shocked
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
I often wonder wny folk eat big meals before they go skiing.

But on the other hand it's a holiday, and when I'm on holiday I like a nice lunch and a couple of beers...
snow conditions
abc,
Quote:

Yes, that was me. These days I tend not to get completely exhausted, as I'm fitter and ski better/more efficiently than I used to. On the last occasion I was, in fact, unwell.
latest report
When we used to do one-week ski holidays with the kids the budget never allowed for more than a very small snack at lunchtime. We used to stock up at breakfast, then go through to the chalet tea (chalet holidays were ideal from that point of view - lovely to come home to endless cups of tea with some fresh baguette and jam and a piece of cake). The kids, when they got old enough, just got given some holiday pocket money, enough to get themselves a bit of lunch and a drink on the slopes and if they chose to spend it on lunch, that was their decision. They practically never did - always had other priorities. when they were older, was generally booze from the local supermarket to avoid having to pay bar prices. I always took a good stock of "mini choc bars" and they would put a couple of those in their pockets and eat them on a chairlift. Now we are lucky enough to spend many weeks skiing, we will treat ourselves to lunch on the slopes occasionally (much cheaper without the kids....) but just a few times per season. And then the skiing in the afternoon becomes a very desultory affair.

The prospect of being presented with endless amounts of food, four times a day, is one of the (many) reasons why I wouldn't contemplate going on a cruise.
ski holidays
Piccadilly, get out. Just get out. I can't even look at you. You have totally missed the point of skiing completely.

The whole purpose of skiing is so that you've got an excuse to get a really proper lunch somewhere up a mountain. The afternoon skiing is so you can justify three courses, plus wine, plus seconds, in the evening. That is the whole point of the sport. It is not, I repeat not, about getting better, about going fast, about making nice neat turns, about two foot deep powder that just makes you chuffing hungry and makes your legs hurt, about pushing yourself so you fall over, about improving your technique. It is about lunch. All about lunch. And dinner.

Stupid stupid snowheads. Some of you need to take a cold hard look at yourselves and remember why you do this. Pick up your game, slackers. This is not a holiday. It is about getting your moneys worth out of the all inclusive food. It is a commitment to a lifestyle choice. I wonder why I bother trying to help some of you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy