Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow depths

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Are these generally accurate ?

It's curious. This year from igluski:

St Anton snowfall 466 cm, current depth 375 cm

Obergurgl snow fall 402 cm, current depth 130 cm

Obergurgl generally higher and more North facing than St Anton

What are the factors (wind ?), or just dodgy measurements
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe... St Anton just happened to get more snow this year?

I would mostly put it down to luck in this case...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blastfromthepast, they're about as believable as asking a group of blokes the length of their front bottoms.

Webcams are your friend (re snow depths I mean of course)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
466 cm for a 375cm base seems unlikely unless it's just snowed 4m. Snow packs down quite a lot.
Eg Whistler has just topped 1000cm for the season but the measured snowdepth is about 350cm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Email the resorts and force them to clarify whether their snowdepths are compacted or uncompacted.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow reports = COME, SPEND MONEY NOW!

(i.e, a marketing tool)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blastfromthepast, Basically, the depths stated are usually rubbish.
As red 27, says, check out the web cams. If its white,cool,ski it. If its green or brown, cool, bike it or walk it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blastfromthepast, Me again.
If any proof were needed check out the snow depths stated in the write up at the top, then check out the web cam images for Pal especially(it's actually part of the pal/arinsal network so still relevant)
http://www.arinsal.co.uk/weather.php

It may make you smile.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No snow at St Anton.................................................... http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_stanton
No info here either.................... http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/home/2.html

BEST TELL EVERYONE TO SKI morzine at EASTER!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow reports and snow forecast data for Igluski's website all come from the Ski Club of Great Britain and Snow-Forecast.com. The data used is among the most accurate you'll find online.

As for the snow depths, it has been a record breaking season in terms of snowfall, with some resorts boasting their average yearly snowfall by the end of January. Some friends have just come back from Val d'Isere and said they have never seen so much snow in resort at this time of year. It's a bumper season in the Alps and most of the webcams on Igluski.com will showcase that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the Ski Club of GB figures on their website are compacted depths. I don't think they issue total snowfall depths.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We just cracked 20m for the season in Hirafu, but only have a reported base of 4m. I think it really depends on the location of the measuring stake. I have skied in resorts in NZ claiming a metre of base and there were bare patches on the piste. We joked that they either measured in a hole somewhere, or laterally through a drift.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think these figures are all for uncompacted-by-a-basher depth. One metre of loose snow would compact down, I would guess, to around 10-20cm depth, and so bare patches on the piste at points of high wear would not surprise me at all.

4m of snowfall doesn't mean a lot if it all got blown off at altitude by high winds. Having a single figure, or possibly two (resort level, top lift) is meaningless for most resorts as the snow depth on the ground will vary by an order of magnitude in different places within the ski area.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was mainly curious about the relative depths I mentioned compared to the relative snow fall ie 80% of the St Anton snow still there whereas only 32% of the Obergurgl snow is left
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mostly natural compaction rather than snow loss, I would have thought.

I checked the SCGB website and it says piste depths - which means basher-compacted, I presume.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy