Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BEST (decent) VALUE RESORT?

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst I am well aware that the responses to the question/statement/query I am about to pose will be completely subjective, I am going to do so anyway! Very Happy

I am busy planning the group trip for 2012/2013 already, and am trying to decide where to go. I am looking for a resort that has good intermediate skiing, a decent nightlife, and is not completely over-priced.

Nothing as wild as St Anton, nothing as quiet as Hinterstoder, and nothing as busy as Zell Am See.

I have just been to Cervinia, and found it to be an almost perfect mix of everything we are looking for.

So, if you have any ideas of similar resorts. it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-03-12 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courmayeur - Good for intermediates, nice town with good night life. Ski area not the most extensive but some TOs offer day trips to neighbouring resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valloire in France, Nassfeld in Austria
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What is best value? That gives you more return from a ski pass? or affordable accommodation.

With the former I doubt if any resort is able to offer as much as Dolomites. 1200km skiing domain with 12 areas. Whether you can travel to each one in time is another matter but the super Dolomites ski pass is admissible to everyone one of the 12 areas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sauze?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TIGNES
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier !!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
What is best value? That gives you more return from a ski pass? or affordable accommodation.

With the former I doubt if any resort is able to offer as much as Dolomites. 1200km skiing domain with 12 areas. Whether you can travel to each one in time is another matter but the super Dolomites ski pass is admissible to everyone one of the 12 areas.

But as you know, 1,200 km of bashed pistes aren't enough for a week as most keen intermediates will ski them out in a few days and their sat navs will alert them that they're no longer having fun exploring new places. Laughing

In all seriousness, and I know that the DIY folk won't agree but I reckon you'll get the very mostest, bestest value via a tour operator package when you keep an open mind and book late.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are looking for value - the Ski Amade area in Austria takes some beating. Big ski area, eating out is reasonable and your apres ski drinks won't burn a hole in your pocket. You don't have the ski in ski out convenience of some the French ski resorts but what you do get is an altogether friendlier experience - some of the euro music can be a bit cheesy but after a few vodka mit feiges who the ell cares. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
whereabout in Jo'burg are you?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whilst not the cheapest many would say that the vast linked areas in France such as Three Valleys, Paradiski, Espace Killy or the like provide good value. Check out some of the villages in these areas further down the mountains for cheaper accomodation.

One such example is the Chalet Chardons in Tignes Les Brevieres, extremely cheap hotel offering catered accomodation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tiffendell - or maybe Afri-Ski

Whilst the ski areas are tiny, the flights costs to Europe almost certainly mean they will give you the most run-km for your rand, everything included.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the useful advice, which of course excludes RobW's! Very Happy

Afri-Ski is completely over-priced, and must be the worst value in the world. On occasion, there is no electricity (not their fault), and it takes the organisers about a day and a half to get the generator working, so then there is not even a drag-lift available, or a warmish cup of coffee!

I am based in Sandton Musher.

Thanks Pam, Snowymum, Jim and others for the ideas. I will definitely look into them.

Saikee, perhaps the heading is not the best I could have chosen, but what I am after is a resort that has decent skiing, without being ridiculously expensive.
ski holidays
JHBGerry, I've bumped into quite a few large parties of South Africans in Samoens over the past few seasons = clearly we must be ticking quite a few of the boxes you seek to fill Cool
snow conditions
Jivebaby, that sounds promising - will look into it! Thank you!
ski holidays
JHBGerry, I've taken the family to Kappl the last couple of seasons. Found it great value and good apres. Just along from Ischgl for some excellent skiing too. Pistes deserted
ski holidays
Thanks Boabski, that is very helpful, and just what we are looking for.
snow report
JHBGerry, stay here if going http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1 great food and right on piste.
snow conditions
Mayrhofen , bit like a cheaper slightly quieter St Anton?
snow report
JHBGerry,

Our family went to Passso Tonale in March 2010. Picked up the week inclusive of the skipass with accommodation and it came in just under 600 Euro each for 7 nights, 6 days 3*+ (tons of food);hire; lessons; ski pass. I was very concerned prior to arriving, based on prices quoted by SA travel operators, but was very pleasantly surprised. Bear in mind that we are further from any snow than you are (Gaborone, Botswana). We made our arrangements through the local tourist site (Adamello Ski).
snow conditions
JHBGerry: Another vote for Mayrhofen. Or what about Soelden? Or Ischgl? Having been through Kappl quite recently - but not having skied or stayed there - it struck me as very small and therefore probably very quiet. Don't know how that compares to Hinterstoder though....

Or what about La Thuile in Italy? It links to La Rosiere in France and has excellent intermediate skiing with a very decent vertical.

In case you aren't aware, France is generally getting on for twice the price of Austria and Italy for food and drink. And (for UK visitors at least) Switzerland prices have become stratospheric due to the soaring Swiss Franc - as you may have found if you made it over to Zermatt from Cervinia.
ski holidays
Would recommend Sestriere and the hotel du col for ski to door convenience. Very Happy
ski holidays
Great advice from all - thank you very much. My research just grows and grows. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy