Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2013. Avoriaz /Les Arcs or Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip to France - Easter (30th March 2013)
We have been to Avoriaz at half term for last two seasons. Like the runs, and the resort. Find it good value for money. Lift passes are reasonable, especially as our teenagers 19 and 16 will be able to get a youth pass.
Would return but not sure if we should go for somewhere higher, thinking Tignes or Les Arcs.
Lift passes for these resorts are dearer and I understand Tignes is expensive.
We would self cater, but eat out at lunch time.
In Tignes looking at Val Claret.
Not sure which part of Les Arcs...but would want to be able to walk to a supermarket.
Anyone any advice? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dodgy knees, it's quite late to go to the PdS... One of t'other 2 would be my advice
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arc 1800 has a Spar right by the entrance from the main car park. Nice little resort, bars are a good giggle.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dodgy knees, In terms of les arcs then all of 2000 / 1950 / 1800 (more than 1) / Plan-Peisey / Vallandry have their own supermarkets, I'm not sure about 1600 as I've never looked for one there, but I'd imagine it probably does. 2000/1950 easier to access the higher slopes / 1800 larger and more going on. If the yoof are up for a beer then more choice in/around 1800 than other places, if you want to keep them away from the nightlife then then quieter end of resort is peisey-vallandry.

As to costs I don't think there's a huge amount to choose between Les Arcs & Tignes, lift pass prices are largely similar - note there doesn't appear to be a yoof pass available for Les Arcs - it's kids or adult. Unfortunately the oldest kid means that the family pack won't save you either, so you'd be looking at 4x 240 euro for a 6 day Paradiski Decouverte (discovery pass) - gives you one day in La plagne in additon

Enjoy the trip wherever you end up
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Not sure which part of Les Arcs...but would want to be able to walk to a supermarket.

I can't think of any bits of Les Arcs where there is not a supermarket within walking distance (I mean 5 minutes' walk). There are sometimes lift pass deals on the website but I suppose probably not in a high season week. You will find that the majority of French Easter skiers all toddle off home on the Tuesday leaving you the resort to yourselves! Have fun! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm not sure about 1600 as I've never looked for one there, but I'd imagine it probably does.

Arc 1600 has a small Sherpa store that serves almost everthing for a week's stay. However the really useful butchery counter has now gone to be replaced by prepacked meat. There is a seperate bakery. If you want anything more exoctic (such as a choice of oysters) then a short walk drops you at the funicular station and all the shops of Bourg st Maurice.

Generally Arc 1600 is more compact than the other stations and is only a few minutes walk to the shops, restaurants and bars from anywhere in the resort. The band playing in the Abrovoir last weekend was outstanding. But then they have had some really bad bands and karoroke as well so not all nights are good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
March 30th is not really late though, almost an entire month before the season ends, of course loads depends on the snow patterns of any particular season and in a particular area so a tough one to call that PDS would be 'too late' the first week of April!

Sometimes the pasture based resorts (like the PDS) hold the snow better than the rock based ones because the base does not need to be so big. Other times it can be very warm and lower resorts become a slush bath, but this can happen any time of year from Feb onwards as we saw this year, it won't always be the be the warmest week just because its the start of April!

I've skied great powder in Avoriaz and Les Gets in mid April and had really nasty slush in Tignes in mid March. If you are going to commit this early on you are taking a bit of a gamble wherever you go but generally all 3 are likely to deliver that week except in exceptional years like last season, and even then all 3 resorts were open and skiable and everyone had a good time, so I wouldn't base your decision on resort height alone, its such a variable. To choose use the criteria that make a holiday great for you. Next winter the new Aquariaz water park will be open in Avoriaz so if the weather doesn't deliver you can have some teenage fun on the water slides instead!!

I think all 3 resorts have something to offer and can't see you regretting your decision whatever you choose!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you are going to commit this early on you are taking a bit of a gamble wherever you go

yes, it'd be good to wait till quite a bit later.

Don't forget that aspect tends to be at least as important as altitude, late-season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy