Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend Friday 25th- Monday 28th November

Poster: A snowHead
27th November is Wedding Anniversery, so we'd like to hit the slopes to celebrate.

With flights from Belfast-Geneva perhaps there is an opportunity???? Where to go? Tignes? There website states The Espace D'Killy opens that weekend, but how much is generally open???????????

Anywhere else????
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes best bet. Although the PSB will be in LDA...

Have done Tignes early and mid November with varying results. Some years only the higher runs open some years ski down to Val Claret. We always stayed in Vd'I at the hotel Mercure as not very much else open. Always had fun though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch,

Is Vd'I open at that time of year????
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, Not for skiing I don't believe. We used to drive round to Tignes. But I believe it has more bars, etc. open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Opening weekend can be hit and miss, generally they try to open some decent sking in Val D'Isere and Tignes, hence calling it Espace Killy opening weekend

Some pics from 2 seasons ago opening weekend here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

cheers,

greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh,

With those pics you have me convinced Very Happy . Where did you stay.

Wife has got a package together

Car Hire: £88

Flights: £41 *2 = £82

Chaletchardons : £24/ night each H/B Seems too good to be true?????

Lift Pass: £35/day

Total for both of us staying 3 nights/ 2 days ski-ing = £454 Very Happy

Anyone know what this Chaletchardons place is like (looks cheap and cheerful)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Not stayed there. You will need to drive up the hill (20 minutes or so) to get to Tignes. Make sure you have chains with your car (just in case).

But - looks like a good price ! Have fun and let us know how you get on.. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be fair, you'll spent most of your time up the glacier as it's the only place where the snow is likely to be wide and deep enough for enjoyable skiing. Val Claret on the Tignes side has the quickest and easiest access to the glacier - so if Val C is open on the first weekend, I'd say you're better off staying there - less wasteage of time getting to the snow, that way!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda wrote:
To be fair, you'll spent most of your time up the glacier as it's the only place where the snow is likely to be wide and deep enough for enjoyable skiing.

To be fair though, you've actually never been to the premiere neige weekend in the Espace Killy though have you? So, it's fair to say you've no idea what the snow's going to be like.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think Manda ever claimed to have been there. The point made is perfectly valid - over recent decades snow reliability in Val d'Isere in late November / early December has been very variable. Therefore, assured access to a good glacier is a big advantage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been researching hotels etc. including the Val Claret but I can't get anywhere that is open. Maybe this is a bad idea...

Any other ideas on where we could go to that will have snow and can be reached relatively easily from Geneva?

If all else fails Mr Johnboy will end up taking me to the Harbour Bar in Portrush as usual!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CAN SOMEONE RECOMMEND A CHALET OR H/B HOTEL IN VAL CLARET PLEASE, IT SEEMS THE ONE I MENTIONED EARLIER DOESN'T OPEN TILL 10TH DECEMBER
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr and Mrs johnboy. These are the lifts that will operate in Zermatt that weekend:
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/fahrplan/winter/kleinmatterhorn.html
It's about 3.5 hours from Geneva, with a scenic ride around the Lake of Geneva (just catch the train at the airport station to Brig or Visp) and the mountain railway up to Zermatt. But if you decide to go there, make sure the rail connections work. I can advise further if you want to think about it.

Just a thought. It's always a fantastic place to visit, because the village operates 12 months a year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks David, I'll check it out. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm pretty sure that the Diva and the Vanoise are open at Tignes

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 21-09-05 16:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
P.S. The other two ski areas of Zermatt - Sunnegga/Rothorn and Gornergrat - will also be operational from that weekend, if there's snow on those slopes. You can find the timetables on the same site - check menu at left of page.
snow conditions
See you at home Mrs JB,

Cheers David
ski holidays
ise, To be really fair, that isn't premiere neige weekend. wink

johnboy, I think we stayed in the Mercure in Vd'I as it was the only place open. Driving round isn't too much of a chore as the roads are hardly busy! You shoudl find Le Canyon pizzeria, Le Danoise, and a couple of other bars open in Val D'isere. No idea what's open in Tignes.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't think Manda ever claimed to have been there. The point made is perfectly valid - over recent decades snow reliability in Val d'Isere in late November / early December has been very variable. Therefore, assured access to a good glacier is a big advantage.

Conversly if the weather is bad as it frequently is early season assured access to the trees at Val d'I could be seen as a good thing whereas one will always be able to get to the glacier on the artificial not to mention the Pissallais glacier. Swings and roundabouts really advantages to either.
latest report
PG wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the Diva and the Vanoise are open at Tignes

Yes the Vanoise is def open - see here: http://www.hotelvanoise.com/tarifs.htm
latest report
johnboy, Look at the Diva in Tignes. Close to the lifts - bit 'corporate' and big, but near the lifts and open.

Me an' me mates do a weekend the week after you. Been to Zermatt and Tignes. Tignes is better for a) skiing - 'cos the snow is much closer, and the glacier has more terrain choice than Zermatt.

Zermatt is much better fo a) Atmosphere (can't beleive I'm saying that about Switzerland) - it's much prettier and b) much easier to get too - by train.

If it was me, I'd go to Tignes,but that's beacuse I'd happily spend the whole weekend going down the Leisse. wink

Hope that helps snowHead
snow report
We're going 2 weekends later (the week before teh premiere neige if I have counted correctly). And yes, had a happy couple of days last year on the Leisseski,
snow report
Bit of confusion over the 'Première Glisse' or 'Première Neige' which is used to refer to the official opening weekend of the Espace Killy (Nov 26th this year, subject to conditions) as well as the World Cup 'Première Neige' Criterium a couple of weeks later.
ski holidays
I never went near the glacier when I went to opening weekend, plenty of skiing around Val D'Isere.

You get "opening weekend" deals, look on the tignes and Val D'Isere websites. This is what we got in 2003.

HOTEL BRUSSEL'S 2 3 STAR

FROM 28/11/03 TO 01/12/03 FOR 3 NIGHTS

for 3 adults and 0 children

CHAMBRE TRIPLE Pour 3 pers
3 JOURS AU PRIX DE 2 JOURS
CHAMBRE PETIT DEJEUNER + 684.00
TAXE DE SEJOUR + 9.00
3 SKIPASSES ADULTS FOR 3 DAYS 0.00
3 LITS SEPARES 0.00

----------------
Total amount : 693.00

Deposit : 693.00
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Bit of confusion over the 'Première Glisse' or 'Première Neige' which is used to refer to the official opening weekend of the Espace Killy (Nov 26th this year, subject to conditions) as well as the World Cup 'Première Neige' Criterium a couple of weeks later.

I think that's because they used to be the same didn't they? The races seem to have slipped a couple of weeks over the last 10 years.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

I've been every year for the last 15 or so, I've not noticed much variation personally, the webcams might look different. Later in December was a bit hopeless the last couple of years IIRC.
latest report
As far as I can recall the race has always been in early December. I've been going to Val since 1970, and the phrase 'Premiere Neige' has always referred to the race by the ski community, though the tourist office may have used similar phrases to launch the earlier opening of the lifts.
snow report
Just on this snow reliability thing, the key snow drought years were in the late 80s, when things were sometimes desperate until mid-Feb. I'm not sure how often the Premiere Neige races have been cancelled since then, due to snow shortage, but they are quite regularly run on a strip of artificial snow down La Daille etc., with things pretty scratchy beyond.

The launch of the Salomon ski, which I attended in 1990, was switched to Saas Fee from Val Thorens due to a desperate snow shortage early that winter (from memory it was 30 November, or thereabouts).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I'm not sure how often the Premiere Neige races have been cancelled since then, due to snow shortage, but they are quite regularly run on a strip of artificial snow down La Daille etc., with things pretty scratchy beyond.

One that I recall being cancelled. I can't recall any purely artificial courses either for that matter.
latest report
Twice I think, including the year before last.
snow report
Bad weather has cancelled it though, storms and blizzards, what a couple of times ?

BTW, the Diva as mentioned variously is really good but it opens pretty late, I *think* that for the first weekend they've not been open on the Friday night before. The Vanoise is my current favorite personally in Tignes and much as I love Val 'm hard put to recommend anywhere to stay, maybe the Mercure at a push.
latest report
 brian
brian
johnboy, if the train doesn't come together, Zermatt is easy enough by car.

Straightforward 2.5 hour drive from Geneva to Tasch, phone ahead to one of the Tasch garages, they taxi you up to Zermatt in about 10mins and arrange a wee electric milk float taxi to pick you up and take you to your hotel. We did it less than 3 hours airport to hotel on a Sunday evening in January.

Parking costs 6 or 7 CHF per day outside, more in the garage. Taxi up is 30-40 CHF each way depending on day or night.

We used Taxi metro http://www.taxi-metro.com/ and they were fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy