Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy Alcott, what has she actually done?

Poster: A snowHead
She seems a nice girl but I always ask myself, why does she have such a high profile? She has never and will never win a medal in a world cup or olympics so how come she is so famous etc? Even Frank Bruno, who was a perennial under dog with limited talent won a world title.

Is it because she has blonde hair and it not bad looking? I would be really disappointed if it is as I prefer my high profile sports stars to be a really good at their sports, not just have blonde hair and be quite attractive and be okay at what they do.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure its a career plan, Think Martin Brundle, average GP driver becomes first class commentator. TV awaits the girl.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A sight more than me, how about you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No other skier* had such a good hold on Julia Mancuso

http://the5ringcircus.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/chemmy0704lm_450x306.jpg

* except Axel Svindal Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She hasn't really got a very high profile.

Besides, winning Olympic gold medals is no guarantee of fame. Just ask Steve Williams, the world's least famous double Olympic gold medalist and Everest summitteer.

She's not "okay" at what she does either. She is very very good at what she does, but a tiny fraction off world class. She's a second or two down on the best times on downhills, when even the most gung-ho expert skier would be several tens of seconds or even minutes down.

She has got blonde hair though. I'll give you that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

She's not "okay" at what she does either. She is very very good at what she does, but a tiny fraction off world class. She's a second or two down on the best times on downhills, when even the most gung-ho expert skier would be several tens of seconds or even minutes down.

+1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
She's the best woman's skier in the country. Best out of 30 million, not bad.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
A sight more than me, how about you?

That old chesnut......Only have an opinion if you have experienced the event in person, live, in HD 3D etc.......

And your right, I haven't won an olympic medal, neither have you and to underline my point, neither has Chemmy!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidhammy wrote:
blonde hair and be quite attractive and be okay at what they do.
Surely that's seen many a career do well Happy

Also, she's well known on here sure but a lot of people I mention her to (Not that I go round mentioning her Laughing) haven't a clue who she is, at least not before the skating thing. (Not got a problem with her personally by the way, just saying)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidhammy wrote:
blonde hair and be quite attractive and be okay at what they do.
Surely that's seen many a career do well Happy

Also, she's well known on here sure but a lot of people I mention her to (Not that I go round mentioning her Laughing) haven't a clue who she is, at least not before the skating thing. (Not got a problem with her personally by the way, just saying)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, Laughing
Anyway, aren't Ryanair rubbish!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Black people can't ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidhammy

Quote:

She has never and will never win a medal in a world cup or olympics...

...not true. Why do people make statements they don't really know much about!

Before her injury in the year or two leading up to that day she had been making some excellent results especially in Super Combined. The nature of race day is that if you get a good start number, the course suits you and all other things go your way then she had every chance of making a podium finish. In the Olympics the chances are actually HIGHER of a medal. It would never have been a gimme but those who followed form and all that would have had a little bet on her pulling a podium off.... now with the injury, Snowsports GB going bust etc.... good luck to her trying to make a little bit of cash.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&competitorid=655&type=result&category=WC&season=ALL&sort=&discipline=SC&position=&place=&Submit=Search

Check out Alain Baxter in Salt Lake 2002... he was on form, the course suited him, everything went his way and he pulled a bronze out the bag. OK I know it was taken away through the whole non performance enhancing variant (it was proven after) of his nasel spray but he came in third that day and the technicality that has now been corrected by the IOC, was all that made him lose that medal!

Why do most of the overpaid pansy footballers have such a large profile - they deserve it less some might say... Chemmy has battled adversity to get where she got to and pays through the nose to keep attempting to make it onto the podium for her country and I will support her and other Brits in their quest all the way... There is no doubting that if we had a little bit of funding and the British ski public got behind their athletes that we could produce an Olympic champion and I am certain that at some stage in my lifetime I will see someone get an Olympic skiing medal!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Flying Snowplough wrote:

Besides, winning Olympic gold medals is no guarantee of fame. Just ask Steve Williams, the world's least famous double Olympic gold medalist and Everest summitteer.

I agree to a point but I assume that Austria, France, Italy, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Switzerland etc all have the equivalent of A Teams who compete on the world cup circuit and a B team who miss out by a whisker? If you included those guys in the B team in the world cup runnings, how would that affect the standings ? I suspect they would finish above her as their countries criteria must be much higher than GB. Would she even be on the WC circuit if she were American/Swiss?

And with the gold medal = fame thing, it doesn't guarantee fame but it would justify a high profile.

This is not a troll, I just like my famous atheletes to be excellent at what they do first and foremost.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
davidhammy

Quote:

...not true.

To be fair, neither of you can reliably see into the future.
ski holidays
davidhammy wrote:
The Flying Snowplough wrote:

I agree to a point but I assume that Austria, France, Italy, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Switzerland etc all have the equivalent of A Teams who compete on the world cup circuit and a B team who miss out by a whisker? If you included those guys in the B team in the world cup runnings, how would that affect the standings ? I suspect they would finish above her as their countries criteria must be much higher than GB. Would she even be on the WC circuit if she were American/Swiss?

And with the gold medal = fame thing, it doesn't guarantee fame but it would justify a high profile.

This is not a troll, I just like my famous atheletes to be excellent at what they do first and foremost.

Discounting the impact of starting later in a larger field, she'd still be within the same time margin of the winner in a downhill so she's still within a fraction of the best, and miles better than pretty much every other skier on the planet. Being top 10 (but not top 3 or 4), top 20 or top 30 doesn't really matter. It still puts a performer firmly in the "not quite world class but still ridiculously better than a normal person can even contemplate" category.

I doubt there is more than a handful of racers in any major skiing country who are potentially better than Chemmy who don't race on the World Cup circuit. Maybe 25/30 or so in total, and they wouldn't beat her all the time.

And she still isn't high profile. She's the least well known of the "celebs" on Dancing On Ice, which is about as low profile as you can get!
snow report
On the FIS site she doesn't seem to have skied many races compared to the other women skiers. Can someone explain why that is?

Just look at Tessa Worley, a huge number of starts

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&competitorid=108666&type=result&rec_start=0&limit=100

I'm not even sure Chemmy would get a eurotest exemption.
snow conditions
The Flying Snowplough,

I don't think that's true. I think all countries have a limited number of world cup starts and you earn them through past results or qualifiying in national champs.

There must be a second tier (is it called Euro cup or something) where those who missed out or are knocking on the doors of the top team can compete and wait for their chance and I am convinced members of Austrias/USA/Switzerlands 'B' team could beat her. This is not a reflection on Chemmy, just a reflection of how tough the selection is on the top alpine teams.
latest report
davidof wrote:
I'm not even sure Chemmy would get a eurotest exemption.
Yes she would, by a huge margin. Her best FIS points score is 5.68. I think 100 points gets you an exemption, so she is under the threshold by significantly more than the proverbial country mile.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
davidhammy

Quote:

...not true. Why do people make statements they don't really know much about!

Before her injury in the year or two leading up to that day she had been making some excellent results especially in Super Combined. The nature of race day is that if you get a good start number, the course suits you and all other things go your way then she had every chance of making a podium finish. In the Olympics the chances are actually HIGHER of a medal. It would never have been a gimme but those who followed form and all that would have had a little bet on her pulling a podium off.... now with the injury, Snowsports GB going bust etc.... good luck to her trying to make a little bit of cash.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&competitorid=655&type=result&category=WC&season=ALL&sort=&discipline=SC&position=&place=&Submit=Search

Check out Alain Baxter in Salt Lake 2002... he was on form, the course suited him, everything went his way and he pulled a bronze out the bag. OK I know it was taken away through the whole non performance enhancing variant (it was proven after) of his nasel spray but he came in third that day and the technicality that has now been corrected by the IOC, was all that made him lose that medal!

Why do most of the overpaid pansy footballers have such a large profile - they deserve it less some might say... Chemmy has battled adversity to get where she got to and pays through the nose to keep attempting to make it onto the podium for her country and I will support her and other Brits in their quest all the way... There is no doubting that if we had a little bit of funding and the British ski public got behind their athletes that we could produce an Olympic champion and I am certain that at some stage in my lifetime I will see someone get an Olympic skiing medal!

+1.

Also world cup selection is not quite like selection for the olympic events. If the austrians had the best 50 downhillers in the world then that is what your start list would be for a WC event. So Chemmy is often in the top 20 in the world and members of 'b' squads from alpine countries racing europa cup or continental cup or the australasion version would not be beating her apart from very odd occasions (i'e DNF's DNS's etc). For the olympic events I believe each country can select up to 4 entrants which is why there is a higher chance of a podium for a brit.

If you've ever watched a world cup event of any type live on the hill you will understand the absolute gulf in ability there is between these racers and even very talented normal skiers, they might as well be practicing a different sport! TV slows speeds down, ruins perspective of the amount of gate offset these people ski and flattens slopes, not to mention giving you no idea of how icy the slopes they race on are.

As far as I'm concerned given the lack of support financially and constant sniping british skiing athletes get its even more amazing that they manage as well as they do.

A lot of the time they even have to service their own skis, for fcuks sake! rolling eyes

That's like jenson button being the mechanic on his own car!
ski holidays
O.P. She has earned enough money to pay all of the expenses needed for the next seasons racing and to appear at Sochi if she is going, so well done her; no need for any cash from the tax payer lottery fund etc.
latest report
BergenBergen wrote:
I'm sure its a career plan, Think Martin Brundle, average GP driver becomes first class commentator. TV awaits the girl.

Brundle was a World class sports car driver gaining a World Championship as well as winning Le Mans.

Chemmy is sadly an also ran.
snow conditions
Well Joe Blogs Austrian WC skiier is a nobody because there are so many from there at that level, Chemmy has a high(er) profile because she comes from a country where there is no real skiing plus we live in the country she comes from so we will hear more about her. Just look at the profile of that african dude during the Olympics who came 47th or the Jamaican bob sleigh team.
ski holidays
Could money from governing bodies be spent better.......probably yes

Is Chemmy a world class skier......yes

Has she raised the profile of Britain as a skiing nation.....yes

Does Chemmy inspire younger skiers to work hard......totally

Does she deserve a high profile.....yes and much more than many foot ballers who never get in a winning team or win a world cup medal.
snow report
DB wrote:
No other skier* had such a good hold on Julia Mancuso

http://the5ringcircus.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/chemmy0704lm_450x306.jpg

* except Axel Svindal Toofy Grin

andersont wrote:

Dot. wrote:
Could money from governing bodies be spent better.......probably yes

Is Chemmy a world class skier......yes

Has she raised the profile of Britain as a skiing nation.....yes

Does Chemmy inspire younger skiers to work hard......totally

Does she deserve a high profile.....yes and much more than many foot ballers who never get in a winning team or win a world cup medal.

Amen.
snow conditions
skir67 wrote:

If you've ever watched a world cup event of any type live on the hill you will understand the absolute gulf in ability there is between these racers and even very talented normal skiers, they might as well be practicing a different sport! TV slows speeds down, ruins perspective of the amount of gate offset these people ski and flattens slopes, not to mention giving you no idea of how icy the slopes they race on are.

As far as I'm concerned given the lack of support financially and constant sniping british skiing athletes get its even more amazing that they manage as well as they do.

A lot of the time they even have to service their own skis, for fcuks sake! rolling eyes

That's like jenson button being the mechanic on his own car!

All I can say is that the ability of World Cup racers etc is WAY above and beyond what most people think it is. Agreed the offset, the steepness and the ice are infinitely harder than one can imagine. Each Winter as part of our commitment to being instructors here in Val d'Isere we have to work a couple of days on the World Cup or Europa Cup.... sliping the course I get a ringside seat as to what happens and what it is REALLY like on these Downhill (or whatever event) courses... all I usually think to myself is how do they do what they do.

I watch footballers on TV and think - there is nothing to it, easy. Dribble along and kick a ball at a goal - DONE - easy. Now that is as uneducated and simplistic as thinking that what you see on TV on the World Cup is easy.

Spyderman wrote:

Perhaps on the World Cup circuit but at all other levels she is at the VERY top of the game. Next people will be saying that Andy Murray is an also run - "he is useless at tennis - can't win a thing".... but I bet he would kick everyones back bottom that we know and is still one of the best Tennis players in the World... Chemmy = ditto!
snow report
I cannot see anyone saying it isn't unbelievably difficult and impressive. Spyder Johns point was that at the very top level, she is far from the best, which was my point as well.

Andy Murray has won plenty of tournaments, masters events etc and has finished 2nd at majors more than once so I don't really get your point? he is clearly one of the worlds best tennis player, either winning or reaching the later stages of major world tournaments on a consistent basis so i don't see the comparison between him and Chemmy? Some would argue that he is not the most charismatic characters BUT, due to his undoubted talent and SUCCESS, he has a high profile which is kind of my point.

I have no information on whether he skate though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andersont wrote:
30 million women skier's where do they all ski Shocked
snow report
leedsunited, he wasn't saying that they all ski, just that she's the best skier out of possibly 30 million British females.
snow conditions
She is the best this country can offer at a sport that we have a distinct disadvantage in competing in. She has guts and determination, she is a good looker, a thoroughly nice person, and a great ambassador for her sport. There are a lot of so called 'famous' sportspeople who don't have anywhere near the same credentials. She deserves to be as famous as any of the other also rans who will compete at this summer's olympics - not everyone can win, but there is no race if there are not those who are good enough to compete against the winners. The Minimums and I think she is great and even if she doesn't meet your vigorous credentials to be famous davidhammy, I'm petty sure she she will manage perfectly well without your support, after all you are not even a famous SH are you?
ski holidays
Here's one for the footballers amongst you. Every time Chemmy has warn her GB suit at the top of a WC course, it's no different to an international footballer running on the pitch i.e. getting capped. Chemmy should be celebrated for her caps also. Obviously that's just my POV.
ski holidays
PS as should any athlete that earns and wears a GB suit or shirt. Damn I'll be getting a british passport next Shocked
snow report
Dot.,
Quote:

Chemmy should be celebrated for her caps also.

Oh, she is!!! Wink

Megamum, brilliant post, and it´s pretty obvious davidhammy, has no idea of the dedication and year round training that goes into becoming a WC skier, he probably thinks Chemmy straps on her skis,and checks her lippy is in place before throwing herself down the side of a mountain
snow conditions
Ok guys, so no-one has answered wihy the lack of races? Even French skiers who are at about her level seem to race far more, at least according to the FIS website. Lack of racing seems to have been a factor.
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
Here's one for the footballers amongst you. Every time Chemmy has warn her GB suit at the top of a WC course, it's no different to an international footballer running on the pitch i.e. getting capped. Chemmy should be celebrated for her caps also. Obviously that's just my POV.

Indeed, she's one of the Nations best at what she does and competes against the best in the world.

The big difference is that she doesn't receive an appearance fee from her country's HNGB and I imagine she funds a fair portion of her training and travel expenses.

I imagine that the wages of a single premiership footy player would fund the GB team for a while, but then I've always wondered how the FIS TV money gets distributed to HNGB's and performers Puzzled
latest report
Megamum, after all you are not even a famous SH are you?

I thought we were all equal on here or are some more equal than others?
latest report
davidof wrote:
Ok guys, so no-one has answered wihy the lack of races? Even French skiers who are at about her level seem to race far more, at least according to the FIS website. Lack of racing seems to have been a factor.

... its in large part due to the fact that GB skiing is all privately funded whereas French, Austrian etc etc etc comes from state funds to a relatively large extent. Also many of the brits have to pay for hotels etc in each place whereas European racers can pop around to their local race a little more easily. But agreed the more race experience the better.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:

Brundle was a World class sports car driver gaining a World Championship as well as winning Le Mans.

What you mean is that Brundle was a "world class sports car" driver - i.e. a driver of a fast car

Chemmy is similar to Baxter if you compare their World Cup performances

Baxter did Superstars for 3 years and showed that world class skiers like Alain and Chemmy P**s on the very best of your normal superstar sportspeople
And they do it on NO money

Naysayers all shut up and give them a bloomin break. When youve done something better then you can criticise
ski holidays
leedsunited, a slightly tongue in cheek comment - pointing out that you don't need to have top level credentials to be famous.

Very much in the vein of the comment above:

Quote:

When youve done something better then you can criticise

However, I am sure that if the OP was someone of slightly longer standing round here than 64 or so posts that they would realise A) Chemmy is a friend of SH's and B) would have gained some insight about just what Chemmy has achieved before diving in to dis one of the UK's most famous athletes in snowsports.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy