Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs from Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The dates: 3/3/12 to 10/3/12

The group: Sam (29 years of age, experienced skier), Lucy (my wife and newly converted lover of skiing, with six weeks on snow to her belt) and finally Eric ( my father, 57 years old and on his second week on snow)

The travel: Ferry to Calais, then 8 hour drive to resort. Motor way all the way, almost. About 75 euros toll each way and roughly 700 miles each way. Beware of timings. We got into resort area at roughly 6pm. There was a lot of congestion and we crawled the last 15 miles.

Accommodation: We stayed in a rented challet with 3 bedrooms. It was in a small village on the south facing side of the valley, just out of Bourg St Maurice (BSM). It was rented through Mr Blueski. It was clean and spacious, with a well equiped kitchen. It had fabulous views of the valley from a sunny terrace and an awesome wood burner for those cold nights. There is a small farm oposite the property and Geese, Chickens and Horses in the field. There were also some friendly farm dogs and cats. It had a locked ski storage room.

The skiing: Mostly blue skies, one days of moderate snow (5cm). The temperatures below 2000m were free thaw but excellent snow base even down in 1600m, which should last all season (well into April). The snow pack was pretty hard but not icey by any means. The runs in les arc 1600 are easily accessed via BSM and the funicular, which takes about 8-10 mins to get into ski area. The runs in 1600 are all tree lined and have a mix of easy reds and blues (plus some long ski roads ideal for beginners)

You can access the whole resort very easily from 1600. There are quick links to 1800, 2000 and villaroger. My favourite runs were on the 1800 side, near vallandry, accessed via a quick chair called Derby. Other highlights include the run down to villaroger, down a red called Augille rouge. There is a lovely restuarant and bar near the end.

Tuition: My father had lessons through ESF 1600. It was 160 euros for 6 days, three hours a day. The groups were small and mixed nationalities (British, Irish, French). Instructor was good and spoke good English. We had booked afternoon lessons but they changed this to mornings as the group size was too small. There was nothing we could do about this (check the small print)

Ski hire: Polairestar is right at the bottom of the Funicular. Long standing establishment. Good service and well priced. I could recommend the ski service (they did a gerat job on my edges)

Best bar: On the mountain there is a love sun trap called Arpette. It has a lovely terrace with amazing views. Lots of seating indoors and out. Happy hour from 3.30pm. Only gripe is that naff euro pop (maybe I am getting old)

Pros: Large resort, with mostly quick and sensibly designed lifts. Other big resorts (tignes, 3 valleys) also close by by car

Cons: hmmmmm, not the cheapest pass in the world. This is fine for more advanced skiers as you get the miles out of it. For bigginers it may be better to go somewhere smaller with a cheaper lift pass.

Overall loved it. 9/10. Any questions just ask
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SamRayner, nice report, thank you. Lots resonating with me, especially
Quote:

My favourite runs were on the 1800 side, near vallandry, accessed via a quick chair called Derby.

and
Quote:

Best bar: On the mountain there is a love sun trap called Arpette. It has a lovely terrace with amazing views.

I really like Les Arcs and am looking forward to returning there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely helpfull report - thank you - am off there this weekend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy