Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new to even thinking about a ski holiday!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

So have recently decided to go skiing for Christmas this year, dates December 22nd to 29th 2012. Having read up a little this seems to be early season and not all ski resorts will have snow. So as total beginners what resorts should we look at that will have the best hope for snow and accommodate beginners?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello,
Have a look at Obergurgl, it's the highest parish in Austria,pretty much snow guaranteed. Lift pass will be about 220 euros ish, it's not cheap BUT a lovely place, hotels are close to lifts, ski shops, ski school. As beginners you don't want to be trudging around in the cold,walking for miles in boots lugging skis. If you like to swim/ spa many hotels have super inclusive facilities, free afternoon snacks are included and free kids club.
Suggest you have a good look at tripadvisor, then look at Crystal/ Inghams for prices.
If you Google, Obergurgl webcam bergfex, you can have a look at the pistes and town.
Have a wonderful time.
Vx snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal do all in packages for people new to skiing. They release these at the end of the summer and they seem like a reasonable deal (not interested in them myself so never work out the relative costs).

It takes a lot of the hassle and decision making out of what can be a daunting process.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
new2skiing, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You're right, Christmas is quite early but the majority of resorts would hope to have snow by then - it can be a bit nailbiting, as the green pastures persist - that's what happened last year, then the heavens opened before Christmas and dumped enormous quantities of snow across great swathes of the Alps.

Can you give us a bit more to go on? What kind of ages are you? Family? Group of friends? What other sport do you do? What kind of budget? What sort of thing do you like? We assume you'll like skiing, but apart from that, it's a holiday, and depending on whether you like to go out to noisy bars and party hard, nod off after dinner with a glass of brandy and good book, or something in between, there are different places which might suit you.

If you have a look through the brochures - like Crystal, but look at others too, you'll get a good feel for what's on offer. The "intro to skiing" weeks might certainly be a good idea - though possibly not available Christmas week.

Most (not quite all) resorts are suitable for beginners - it's useful to find somewhere which has beginners slopes at the top of the mountain, not just right down in the valley. You're much more snowsure then, and it's great to get up there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
new2skiing, good advice from Tiger2. For a first time trip it is better to take a package to a resort. There are loads of resorts suitable for beginners so maybe thinking about which countries you would like to visit may help you to reduce the list of possibles. Another thing to consider is what type of experience do you want in terms of accommodation and the range of après ski experiences (not just the boozy ones that is). snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
new2skiing, Welcome to the addictive world of skiing! Laughing
As others have said, the major tour operators often do good value beginner packages - the resorts themselves encourage and support these deals as it's obviously in their interest to attract new people to skiing.
One thing you might consider (depending on your location) is to have an introductory beginner lesson(s) in one of the indoor snowdomes in the UK. This gets you used to the feel of the boots and skis and the first tentative attempts at sliding on snow - this means that when you go out to the resort you are a bit ahead of others who have never been skiing at all.

Enjoy your ski holiday, but as I said it can be addictive, and your wallet may be the poorer for it over the coming years! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all that plenty to look into. We’re early to mid 30s, no kids, Irish but not booze hounds! At present were golfers so skiings a big change. I suppose somewhere relaxed and I do like badgerlover suggestion of not tracking miles in boots with skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Obergurgl. It would be ideal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a first timer I think the quality of the ski school can make a big difference to how much you enjoy your first ski holiday. It might be worth factoring that it to your choice of resort, and perhaps asking for recommendations about ski schools.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After a quick look is there anywhere a little less expensive? Nearly €1600 each including beginner ski package. A little steep I know Christmas is going to be an expensive time but are there any other options I could look at? Thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
new2skiing, Christmas is expensive (but not as pricey as New Year) and the problem of not knowing where the snow is means that high resorts (like Obergurgl) can charge full whack for people who book early. Booking now you are gambling on a whole lot of things including currency fluctuations. My advice would be to wait until late summer/early autumn as the earliest to even think of looking/booking.

The big operators always launch their season's offerings with a book early discount offer.

Some people book years in advance to secure their preferred location/accommodation. Since you have no pre-conceived preferences you don't need to do this.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
new2skiing, Avoid Xmas. It's colder, more crowded, less snow sure, more expensive, plus shorter hours of daylight, than any other time of the season. Also avoid half term and Easter. Unless you are a teacher try and choose another date.

Welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, I've never found Easter to be particularly busy in France. I've been the last 5 and will be there again this year, Les Deux Alpes every year (plus Alpe D'Huez also one year).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
new2skiing,

Did you have any preference on country?

Were you after a pretty alpine village with lots of wooden chalet type buildings, or not so fussy where you stay? You're not big drinkers (so we don't rule France out), don't want to be tramping round in ski boots (who does) - any other requirements?

Like golf, skiing is both expensive and addictive! Not that I play golf I'll have you know, but most of the people I ski with do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with some of the points made like avoid peak periods like Christmas if you can as late January or early March offer much better value, make sure you don't need to walk miles in ski boots carrying skis (as it takes some getting used to), and depending on the time of year i.e. if early or late season choose somewhere where there are higher beginner slopes in case you should need them. However I can't agree Obergurgl is a good choice as it will be expensive and offer far more skiing than you'll do in your first week. Far better particularly for Christmas week to pick a little resort where lift passes, ski schools, accommodation are cheaper. There are some small areas that offer there own deals of inclusive passes or free lessons for example Schwaz-Pill (Austria) or Chamrouse (France). It will be harder work for you but maybe some investigation before you go will further wet your appetite for the trip. Beware the brochure all inclusives as these may or may not be good value. You can book cheap skis/boots online with someone like skiset if required. It may also be worth considering combining or at least having the option of doing non ski things during the trip you then haven't put all your eggs in one basket. By the way for me the best beginner lifts are the magic carpets and button lifts, avoid beginner areas with T-bars at all costs, rope tows aren't nice, and chairs although eventually good will take some time to get used to (special slow/beginner ones are much easier). Obviously gondola type lifts are ok but you won't use for your practicing as they'll go longer distances. Note also that some skiers like any other sample of people are inconsiderate so having a ski area away from other red/black pistes or in a small area where better skiers won't bother going means you don't have idiots skiing fast scaring you to death. Similarly on the lifts you won't have some impatient person hassling you.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-03-12 17:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
sammawby wrote:
... pick a little resort where lift passes, ski schools, accommodation are cheaper.
Possible downside is that the ski school might have a lower proportion of instructors (and clients) who speak English when compared to a larger (albeit more expensive) resort.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's colder, more crowded, less snow sure, more expensive, plus shorter hours of daylight, than any other time of the season. Also avoid half term and Easter.

It's better than New Year though, which is both more expensive AND more crowded (in France, at any rate).
Quote:

Were you after a pretty alpine village with lots of wooden chalet type buildings

you'll find there are loads of compromises to be made, when choosing a ski holiday - you need to prioritise. There are plenty of pretty villages, in Switzerland, Austria and France but the nicest tend to be at lower altitudes - because "traditional" settlements weren't up high mountains!

You should definitely be able to find something for less than 1600 apiece - Obergurgl is expensive (in all the Alpine countries, except maybe Switzerland which is very expensive at present because of the strength of the franc, there are cheaper and more expensive resorts).

It is, as Tiger2 says, very early to be making firm decisions for Christmas. Take your time to do some more research, get some (no doubt conflicting!) advice on snowheads, and think about your priorities.

There is a French youth sport organisation (UCPA) which provides fantastic all-in ski holidays, with very good tuition included, at all levels from complete beginner to very expert indeed. I suspect they won't have packages and prices worked out for next season yet but if you have a look at the website of UCPA (or Action Outdoors, who sell their hols in the UK market) you'll get a feel for the kind of thing on offer. The holidays tend to come in under £700 including coach travel from the UK, full board, all equipment, lift passes and tuition. Some - not all - the centres have double rooms for which there's a small supplement. You can fix your own flight if you prefer, and get transfers. Their holidays are about as cheap as you can get, and for people for whom the skiing, rather than the "hotel" aspects are the most important. My daughter and BF had a very nice double room in Flaine - a very good choice for Christmas, though it's not pretty.

If you do a search on SHs you will find many positive reports on UCPA trips - some from very experienced skiers, others from more nearly beginners. I don't remember any negative reports.

A more upmarket "all in" French operation is Club Med. Same sort of idea, but more family oriented.
latest report
Agreed but a larger resort doesn't guarantee you'll get an English speaking instructor and an English speaking instructor doesn't imply a good instructor. A resort with generally less English is not necessarily a bad thing Smile! It brings another point to mind though that it may be best to have a few days private lessons rather than the group week lessons. I think you improve far quicker and you'll be able to explore the area more later in the week. The group lessons are more social though. Also half day lessons and half days of your own practice is a good mix I think.
snow conditions
sammawby wrote:
Agreed but a larger resort doesn't guarantee you'll get an English speaking instructor and an English speaking instructor doesn't imply a good instructor.
No, you're right, it doesn't. And it might not be important to the OP to have lessons with an English-speaking instructor, but if it is important some consideration might be given to choice of ski school.
Quote:
A resort with generally les English is not necessarily a bad thing Smile
Maybe, maybe not. Up to the OP's preferences I guess.
Quote:
It brings another point to mind though that it may be best to have a few days private lessons rather than the group week lessons. I think you improve far quicker and you'll be able to explore the area more later in the week. Also half day lessons and half days of your own practice is a good mix I think.
My preference is half-day group lessons. Sociable, fun, plenty of time in class with your instructor at a price which is less than the equivalent time in private lessons, but still plenty of time to have fun doing your own thing outside of lessons. But obviously the OP will have their own preferences.
latest report
Just to give you a few more resort ideas, the following are generally more reasonably priced. These should give you a balance of good skiing for beginners, moderately snow sure, some English spoken (for ski school). It is also worth noting that some resorts offer cheaper beginner passes or free beginner lifts,which is great for the first few days and saves you some cash.

In France: Flaine, Risoul, Montgenevre, Morzine, Les Deux Alpes, Serre Chevalier.

In Italy: Sauze d'Oulx (or othe milky way resorts), Passo Tonale, Folgarida/Madonna di Campiglio.

Austria: Saalbach, Alpbach, Soll, Bad Gastein, Schladming

You could also look at Andorra, as it tends to be in the budget end and generally avoid Swiss resorts as these tend to be more pricey.

Work out what your priotities and preferences are and then look around for deals.
Hotel/hostel/catered chalet/self catering apartment /dont mind?
Budget? 5* luxury, mid range, or cheap as chips?
Choice of ski school/english speaking school?
Doorstep skiing/short walk/ski bus to slopes/don't mind?
Lots of other activities (ice skating, shopping, skidoo, cinema) or quaint quiet village?
Big party scene/choice of bars and restaurants/one or two local bars?
All food included/some food included/freedom to eat when and where you like?

Welcome to the addiction!
ski holidays
new2skiing,
ALthough you say:
Quote:

not all ski resorts will have snow.

This needs explaining to the new skier . Most Christmases /Late Dec in most years, most resorts will have snow and in many years it will be good. In some years there will have been little snow fall and the skiing in some resorts will be limited. However virtually all resorts with a significant tourist trade will have snow making and it would be rare though not impossible for the temperatures to be too warm that there is not plenty of skiing for a beginner.
People often advocate height as an answer early seasonand although it is an advantage if it has been a dry as oppossed to a warn autumn it does not always help, and height can be asssociated with higher winds and lack of protection from trees if the weather is bad in the early season.

My own personal prejudices are towards Austria at this time as it has a more 'Christmasy' feel, but there are plenty of other factors as other posters have pointed out. If you have ideas as to the importance of price, accomodation type and quality, traditional v purpose built importance of English language tuition etc. You may get a more accurate idea. If you are vaguely sporty and enjoy learning a new activity in great surroundings the chances are pretty good that you iwill enjoy anywhere though.
snow conditions
Picking up on other's comments regarding ski schools. In my personal experience as a new skier the single most important thing for you both is quality instruction. Obviously simply having a native speaking British instructor does not guarantee this. However, as interpretation of instruction is down to the individual if I were in your shoes I would only choose a resort with a resident British ski school. There are loads of them out there :

La Plagne
Les Gets
Alpe d'Huez
Courcheval
Meribel

We ski'd in La Plagne this Xmas and the snow was epic although as has previously been mentioned this season has been better than previous years. My only other advice is to go high at that time of year and stay as close to the lifts / slopes as you possibly can.

PM me if you want specific ideas.
ski holidays
Have to be honest it didn’t even occur to me that tuition available through a tour operator might not be in English!

I suppose I’d prefer the more traditional resorts but as I’ve chosen early in the season and Christmas week I may have to comprise if the cost is too high.

You’ve all given me plenty of options to look into thanks
snow report
In terms of snow reliability some resorts are better than others. As mentioned you can go for a high resort but then you may have problems with wind/cold/lack of tress etc. but similarly a low resort may not have enough snow early season.

The dolomites area for example is known for great artificial snow cannon technology so as long as the temps are low you're guarenteed snow. This region is also very scenic, has a number of small resorts as well as the larger ones, cheap prices for accommodation and food. You wont always find english speakers though.

Also as someone mentioned some areas offer beginner passes that would save you unnecessarily buying a full pass e.g. Meribel or free beginner lifts like in Kitzbuhel or Alpe d'Huez. However I'd still suggest avoiding all big name resorts (most that have been mentioned above). You only need about 20km of piste to enjoy a first week of skiing.

During my recent visits to Austria my personal favourites for beginners would be Erhwald, Seefeld, Mayrhofen Ahorn (but you'd need to take the main lift up and down), Lienz Zettersfeld, and Mutters. Accommodation could probably be found quite cheaply near all of these but slope-side access probably not and the lift pass prices may be a little expensive still. The other scam to try to avoid is where ski lessons require a non-beginner pass for part or all of the week. To me this is a con and could be an advantage of private lessons where you could choose where you ski.

My advice where-ever you choose would be to try to get as many of these as possible:

Less than 40km of pistes covered by pass
Mainly green/blue runs covered by pass
Convenience to the slopes i.e. simple bus trip or very short walk
Some beginner slopes above 1200m in Austria and 1500m in France (for Christmas week)
Potential for skiing tree lined pistes
Free, beginner, or package (check it is a good deal though) ski pass
English speaking instruction
Small beginner groups (max eight) or private instruction
Non-ski options close-by
Nice scenery
Non-self catering i.e. catered chalet or hotel
Magic carpets and/or specialist beginner button/chair lifts
A smaller less well known resort

But do your own investigations, don't rely only on what people say here.
snow conditions
new2skiing wrote:
Have to be honest it didn’t even occur to me that tuition available through a tour operator might not be in English!

I suppose I’d prefer the more traditional resorts but as I’ve chosen early in the season and Christmas week I may have to comprise if the cost is too high.

You’ve all given me plenty of options to look into thanks

The tuition will be in English - but not necessarily a native English speaker. Those suggestions are for places where you should be able to get a native English instructor.
snow conditions
sammawby wrote:
My advice where-ever you choose would be to try to get as many of these as possible:

Less than 40km of pistes covered by pass
Mainly green/blue runs covered by pass
Convenience to the slopes i.e. simple bus trip or very short walk
Some beginner slopes above 1200m in Austria and 1500m in France (for Christmas week)
Potential for skiing tree lined pistes
Free, beginner, or package (check it is a good deal though) ski pass
English speaking instruction
Small beginner groups (max eight) or private instruction
Non-ski options close-by
Nice scenery
Non-self catering i.e. catered chalet or hotel
Magic carpets and/or specialist beginner button/chair lifts
A smaller less well known resort

But do your own investigations, don't rely only on what people say here.

Spot on. But a class of 8 is ridiculously large: you'll spend most of the day waiting for some incompetent muppet to catch up. If you can't be guaranteed a smaller class, investigate private lessons.
snow conditions
Quote:

cost is not a function of height, or "Christmassyness". Yes, the less well known, smaller, resorts will offer better value for money and probably very cheap private lessons BUT they are unlikely to be on the map with British tour operators.

Also, logically enough, if few Brits go there, group lessons won't be in English, regardless of the linguistic skills of the instructor.

You will find that ski schools which are "native British" and guarantee small groups will be a lot more expensive than the local group lessons, which at a busy time might have up to 10 or 12 people. It is, however, perfectly possible to learn in a bigger group, and it can be a lot of fun. I suspect that most contributors to this forum learnt to ski in big groups (the local Austrian and French ski schools, in my case) and so do most people who go on holidays with the Tour Operators. Now that so many of us have had top quality lessons, we do recognise how good they are - but if you find a fun place for your first holiday, and get the bug, you have plenty of time ahead of you for fancier lessons.
snow conditions
There is a vanishingly small likelihood of finding a British TO offering packages to a resort where the ski pass covers only 40 kms of skiing.

Can you go any other time than Christas? Mid to late January would be ideal. Cheaper, quieter, more snow, more choice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, you might be right that the large operators focus on large resorts. But I spent my first couple of ski trips with a small operator that went to lesser-known places and provided its own British instructors. The trips met almost all of sammawby's criteria.

I absolutely stand by my view that a class of 8 is ridiculously large, and I'm gobsmacked to learn that some ski schools believe it's acceptable to allow groups of 10 or 12. The issue is that every time a group of eight beginners starts to move on the hill, one of them will have some sort of problem such as crossed skis, a tangled pole-strap or an awkard fall. While they sort themselves out, everyone else has to wait. And, if like some (most?) European ski schools, classes last for a full week and aren't regrouped every day, by mid-week the ability gap between the best and the worst in the group will be intolerable.

Assuming a five-hour day, you only get 25 minutes undivided attention from an instructor in a group of 12 people - including lift time. That's simply insufficient for rapid progression. Another great things about small groups is that you get to chat to the instructor whenever you catch a lift, and that's an important part of your learning.

You might eventually learn to ski in a large group, and you might have fun; but your progress will be glacial. Given that it costs a fortune to actually be in the mountains, it makes sense to get over the initial learning part as quickly as possible. The total cost of your tuition is actually likely to be lower if you learn in a small group, as you won't need so many lessons; if you also factor in equipment hire and lift passes, it's actually much more expensive to learn in a large group.

I've watched this in practice when my kids were learning to ski. One year they were in a large group and they hardly progressed. Other years they were in classes of 3 or 4 (normal policy in many North American ski schools) and they learned at a phenomenal rate.
ski holidays
Particularly at Christmas you'll save money planning your own trip rather than using a TO especially as you plan to know the travel dates very early. It may restrict your choices of resort as you'll want to fly to near to the resort but this is still easily possible for many large or small resorts. Bergfex gives you an excellent map with the location of the resorts it covers. Select the Bergfex tab next to Satellite for OS maps and then the button with a up and down arrow to go full screen. Personally I think 10 to 12 people is too many so I'd definitely look at private lessons in this case.

Absolutely agree with the above points about group sizes.
snow report
Quality of the instruction is far more important than group v. private lessons, IMO (and IME). See this thread, for example.
latest report
Quote:

Quality of the instruction is far more important than group v. private lessons, IMO

and it simply isn't the case that anyone learning in a group of 10 or 12 will progress "at a glacial rate". I am as keen as anybody on good tuition, and have spent a lot of money on it. But I just don't think it's helpful (or true) to suggest to a total beginner that going on the kind of group lessons which are likely to be provided as part of a "learn to ski" package with a TO will be a miserable waste of money. For me, now, top quality tuition would be far more important than quality of hotel or what the apres ski is like. But that's not true of many holiday makers - who, after all, tend not to bother with lessons at all once they feel they've "learnt to ski" on their first trip.

Group tuition is the "norm" for holiday makers throughout the Alps (and that means 2 or 2.5 hours daily in most French resorts, not 5)and most - if they are moderately competent and fit, and prepared to practice after the lessons - seem to do fine.

Our family, including three kids all learnt in the standard groups, initially in Austria. Our daughter, who was the youngest at 4, was the only Brit in a German speaking group. OH and I were also in biggish groups - mine was German speaking too, but I did speak a bit of German and one of the others helped translate occasionally. We all not only survived but enjoyed the week and learnt a lot.

Of course good tuition is important - and particularly vital for people who are scared/nervous. But the majority of the thousands of people heading off on their first holiday with a package company will be in big groups, which will work OK for the majority.

For youngish people, on tight budgets, the all in packages at UCPA are unbeatable - excellent tuition, reasonable hire equipment, good food, interesting international atmosphere.
ski holidays
The tuition when I've changed my skiing the most has been in groups of 10. The key factors for this were, in order of importance: quality of the instructor; skiers in the group having a uniformly positive attitude to learning, supporting each other and having fun; and skiers in the group being close enough in ability level comfortably to ski the same terrain. I've also had some great private lessons, but these have been to address one or two issues rather than improve my skiing as a whole (which is is very difficult in a private lesson or two lasting typically a couple of hours each).
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Quality of the instruction is far more important than group v. private lessons, IMO (and IME). See this thread, for example.
There speaks the industry voice in favour of revenue maximisation, even at the cost of defending the indefensible. As a wallet holding punters, I see things differently: in my experience, ski schools that care enough to put a sensible maximum on class sizes also care enough to keep a close eye on the quality of their instructors.

new2skiing, I advise you to check class sizes before you book.
latest report
Quote:

ski schools that charge enough to put a sensible maximum on class sizes also pay enough to keep a close eye on the quality of their instructors.

there. Put it right for you.

By the way, I would completely repudiate your rude allegation that rob@rar is speaking from a revenue maximising point of view. You don't have to read many of his many contributions to SHs to realise that that's complete BS, and really deserves an apology. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
pam w, it costs £20-40 per hour to be on the slopes when all costs are factored in. If you go to the mountains to ski rather than for the ambience, every second counts. That's why I say it's better to learn quickly in a small group. Quality, not quantity: the total bill is unchanged.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
There speaks the industry voice in favour of revenue maximisation, even at the cost of defending the indefensible. As a wallet holding punters, I see things differently: in my experience, ski schools that care enough to put a sensible maximum on class sizes also care enough to keep a close eye on the quality of their instructors.

new2skiing, I advise you to check class sizes before you book.

IME a group size of 8 is fine (providing a decent instructor is doing a decent job), and under certain circumstances 10 works as well (and in both cases I'm speaking from experience is as a wallet holding punter rather than an instructor). If it works it's defensible, IMO.

I don't know of any ski school that offers group sizes of less than 8 other than for off-piste specialist courses. I'd guess there are some, but I don't think there are many. Out of interest what size do you think is a sensible maximum?
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
That's why I say it's better to learn quickly in a small group. Quality, not quantity: the total bill is unchanged.
You're assuming some sort of linear relationship between progress that the client makes and the "individual time" that the instructor can offer the client. I think there is no such relationship, so IMO your argument that small = quick progress is just not true.
snow report
It may be true that a larger group with a top instructor is better than a smaller group with a less good instructor. However all things equal a smaller group is what you want surely. I also find that in skiing that there is sometimes IMO the incorrect view that a great instructor has to be a great skier. I'm no expert skier but experience elsewhere says that an average skier could be a great instructor and a great skier could be a very average instructor. This seems especially true for those teaching beginners. I also think it is fair to say that a ski school will make more from large group lessons than from private or smaller group lessons. If it were me learning again I wouldn't go for a group over 8 people and I would strongly consider private lessons. Certainly some tuition of non-beginners in groups ends up being a following exercise rather than teaching exercise. Not always but it happens far more than it should. How does one know the quality of the teaching (specific instructor) until it starts and even then it may depend on the views of the individual therefore consider the things you can influence over those you can't. Although also maybe get some reviews of the ski school as a whole if you can.
latest report
sammawby wrote:
However all things equal a smaller group is what you want surely.
Up to a certain point, yes, although when you take that to the extreme of a group of 1 (ie a private lesson) you can miss out of the fun and sociability factor (how many of us have free skied outside of lessons with people in our group during the lesson...?). But all things aren't equal as smaller groups normally equal more expensive lessons, therefore for most people it means less time with an instructor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy