Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine With Neilson

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flaine with Neilson

So as I got some useful advice before going I thought I would put up a trip report.

Brief overview
3 blokes, 22/23 for a week. We went with Neilson, flying from Gatwick with Thomas Cook. We stayed in the Residence les Pleiades which was good but basic. Good weather for the week with two top ups and we had a lot of fun. Neilson reps were a good laugh and very helpful.

Details

Travel
No issues on the way out, although the Geneva Charter terminal is pretty grim. Transfer was a decent coach, left quickly no real issues. Flight back was delayed by about an hour as one of the coaches was late. Although this didn’t bother me as I was fast asleep.

Apartment
We were staying in a “6” person apartment, plenty of space for three of us although I think it would be very crowded with 6. It seemed reasonably clean and tidy, with all of the basic equipment (although a microwave would have been nice). Was conveniently enough located and I would go back again.

Equipment
We had booked the equipment hire through Neilson (1 set of skis and 1 set of skis and boots);. Equipment was from Twinner in Flaine Forum was good quality although had seen a lot of use over the season, I really liked my Rossignol bandits.

Skiing
The important bit! Conditions were good but warm for the week, had fresh snow Monday evening and Thursday which was good. We generally managed to ski from 930 to lift shut at 445. We generally liked the ski area although in my opinion the lifts back to the Tete de Saix from Morrillion and les Carroz do need upgrading. I enjoyed the blacks I did even if my mates were not that keen on moguls! I also dragged my mate who doesn’t like drags down Gers! Twisted Evil The Aup De Vernan being shut did seem to lead to queues out of the bottom of the bowl. Didn’t get much chance to go off piste but what you could see from the lifts seemed to get tracked out amazingly quickly.

Apres
We didn’t do much après as we wanted to be able to get up and ski but had a few good evenings in the flying Dutchman. Mainly relaxed with a beer and a film in the apartment.

Restuarants
Only ate on the moutian twice as we normally packed lunches. First was a self service at samoens 1600 which wasn’t great (can’t remember the name) but I had a good burger at the brasserie La pre at the bottom of the DMC. The only evening we ate out was a BBQ at the Flying Dutchmen which was good fun.

Issues/annoyances
Only issue was solved quickly, they had lost one of the sets of skis off the bookings but was fixed on the transfer coach.
People waiting in the way of lift queues! Evil or Very Mad
People not filling lifts when there was a queue! Evil or Very Mad

In conclusion a great holiday was had by all and I would go back to Flaine and with Neilson again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wam15, Flaine is good for intermediates, especially the LHS of the bowl looking up (Cristal etc). Not really rated for off Piste as there are crevasses higher up in the bowl which are hidden by snow hence dangerous without a guide. I guess Gers is the main off piste area which you did. Glad you enjoyed it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wam15, agree about the burger at La Pre - probably the best value for money in Flaine
How did you find the beer at the Dutchman? It's either not Grolsch or they don't keep it properly IMO
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Janner

Yeah we went in the day before for drinks only and thought the burgers looked good so went back.

Im not really sure as I was mainly drinking desperados, and Flugel (the little red bottles).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
janner I thought that too. A different taste completely.

However, I don't normally drink too much Grolsch in the UK as it gives me a headache. After my second jug of the stuff in the Dutchman I definitely had a headache so it probably is the real stuff.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy