Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now that I've got accomodation booked and we're set on St Anton, any advice on best route to drive from Munich Airport.

Google maps suggests either a bit of a loop round the east side of Munich to cross the border at Worgl, a more direct route south via Munich centre to Garmish, or head out west via Memmingen to skirt the edge of Liechtenstein. All predicted to be about 3 hours.

Thanks

Brian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We done the route in January by car from Munich to St Anton and took the longer motorway route around to the East of Munich and it was an extremely easy...dare I say pleasant drive.

I have done the direct route South in the past and kept getting stuck on the smaller roads behind lorries/coaches

All the best
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It really depends on what time of day. If you are leaving Munich early, i.e about 6:30AM, then the direct route via Garmisch and over Fernpass is best. You have to get there before the Dutch! Otherwise I would go the long way round via Innsbruck, even if it is a lot further (about 80Km IIRC)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or train from Innsbruck/Friedrichshafen /Zurich?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brianr, Autobahn via Innsbruck (can get busy though) or train via Munich/ Rosenheim/ Kufstein/ Innsbruck is increasingly my preferred option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brianr, I've used the western route quite often when leaving from the Munich area. It is an easy run down via the Lindau autobahn (A96) and then on into Austria at Bregenz. The road from Bregenz to the Arlberg sometimes gets busy, the Pfändertunnel for example can be closed in alternate directions (Blockanfertigung) to allow both lanes to be used for one direction at a time. This can lead to some jams at peak periods on Saturdays and some Sundays, but most of those days are over now for the ski season.

From the airport you take the motorway towards Munich (A92) and then stay on it following the signs to Stuttgart before switching to the A99 when it is signposted Lindau. Once on the A99 you follow the Lindau signs until you come to the A96, then it is straightforward staying put until Lindau/Bregenz.

The eastern motorway route is still liable to jam up at weekends as it is a major east/west transport link. Last Saturday the A8 and A93 both had long jams on them at various times in both directions, whereas the western route via the A96 was free all weekend.

I dislike the Fern Pass route as the chances of getting stuck behind something slow are just too high for my liking. But it is the shortest route.

Whichever route you use, do stick to the speed limits indicated as there is a push on right now to cut down on speeding. The Austrian police like nothing better than to catch cars with German number plates. Many of the Tirol motorways/dual carriges ways have 100km limits enforced all the time. Your hire car will be a target because of its plates!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy