Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets and snow conditions at MK...

Poster: A snowHead
Bought a helmet earlier in the summer and went to Xscape this weekend - and it crystalised the to wear or not to wear debate for me...

Snow conditions were awful - we were warned on paying that they were bad, but having come all the way up from Bristol we decided to have a go anyway.

Had a particularly bad fall onto ice - and smacked my coccyx and head on the slope. Fortunately I am left with only bruises rather than concussion. Have got whiplash symptoms on my neck - which from talking to the NHS direct nurse is often exacerbated by the weight of a helmet, however these are now starting to ease (after lots of gentle yoga stretching each day). General consensus from people I have been talking to while trying to get oodles of sympathy is that its better to have whiplash rather than concussion...

p.s. don't go to MK until they fix the snowmaking - the conditions are horrible if you're likely to be falling because while you are learning... Experienced riders/skiers will be fine - but not much fun if you're still learning technique...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from cracking a rib in Italy my worst ever fall was actually at the Xscape: was messing about toward the end of my alloted hour, getting a bit bored frankly, and ended up catching an edge and falling backwards - back of head thumping on icy surface, resulting in day-long headache. It happens to the best of us! Xscape isn't always that bad tho.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My worst ever fall was also at MK on a snowHeads get together last year – completely my own fault though. I was able to prove the correctness of the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". My 13 yr old daughter was doing the jumps dead easy and goaded me into having a go. Not quite sure what happened next, but I remember finding myself flat on my back completely winded. It was two weeks before the full extent of the bruising came out and I couldn’t walk properly for days afterwards.

I seem to recall that my daughter also did the same to Jonpim and that he also took a nasty tumble ... she’s dangerous.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, I bet she knows your insurance policy numbers and the name of your solicitor Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountain mad,
Sorry about your whiplash.
I went to MK a couple of weeks ago. Its not the snowmaking kit thats broken but their piste machine. They dont appear to have anything to break up the ice and the snow just gets scraped off it.
If anyone is thinking of going the morning isn't too bad, but large patches of ice appear as the day goes on.

The beginners slope was fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds wicked fast and light edge engagment to survive. A helmet would be a good idea. Just don't know how to protect the other end. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave J, mountain mad, Thanks for the comments about MK. I was planning on going tomorrow with some friends, but we've now called it off.
Dave J: when you say their "piste machine" do you mean their mini piste-basher that they have?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountain mad, that;s what you get for going to the darkside Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountain mad, Ah, so you were snowboarding! That explains the whiplash. I received really bad whiplash when snowboarding on dry slope, those backward falls, down the slope are evil, you have my sympathy! Skullie I am now waiting to try boarding on real snow. Have you got bum pads, as I think they make a difference and of course the wrist guards are an absolute must have? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountain mad, My better half had exactly the same experience, except it was on a rock hard piste in Sauze d'Oulx. It was such a silly little fall... She and another member of our party went to stop in the same place. She took avoiding action, caught an edge and somehow went over backwards.

Fortunately we'd made the decision to buy helemts literally an hour earlier so she spent the next few days with a sore neck instead of a fractured skull!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, a bit less abuse if you don't mind, I wouldn't want to make a complaint to the moderators . . . I dun't know another two p*anker sewing discord about the king of snowtools rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, you just can't accept that two feet strapped together is wrong!! wink

Note...for those that don't know...I have been known to appear in public on a snowboard!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys for the sympathy - not needing painkillers today - so all must be healing now!

Elizabeth B - cheeky Laughing but the skis have not been ditched permanently - they will be used again!

Incogskisnow - I feel like the michelin man - but would not go on the board without my bumpad! Got some new impact shorts - so not sure if they weren't good - or actually they were very good and if I hadn't had them it would have been more serious...
I also use wristguards and knee pads!!!! - tips from snowboarders - there's nothing cool about hurting yourself and not being able to carry on boarding!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, So . . . thinking outside the box . . . a brass bedstead and handcuffs is wrong?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountain mad, Some of the shorts that I tried on didn't cover the coccxy when I sat down, I eventually bought some kids Dainsse(spelling?)ones from S&R which were the best I could find. These looked like they would do a good job, a little uncomfortable though I should think.
latest report
kamikaze,

Dont know how big or small their piste basher is, I wsa just told it was broken!

As I say, it was Ok in the morning if you can get there then.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Elizabeth B, So . . . thinking outside the box . . . a brass bedstead and handcuffs is wrong?

I'm confused... my bedstead is black steel... as long as I don't use brass cuffs am I ok?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy