Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles for bright days

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just got back from a couple of weeks in Argentina, and I really suffered with my goggles and the really bright sun reflection. I've got a pair of Oakleys with a fairly neutral lens but never had problems as bad as this.

I'm not sure I want to get into changeable lenses, unless anyone has a some advice on reliability, but has anyone got a bright sun specific pair/lens they can recommend?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oakley fire iridium lens is really very good - had always been a sunglasses wearer on good days until this year. Complete convert to goggles - oakley wisdom.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look on here, I love my Bolle ones.
http://www.bolle.com/technology/goggle_colors.cfm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
flicksta, which Oakleys do you have?
The option which would require the least amount of extra packing would be to go for interchangeables - as Adam says, the fire iridium is vary good IMHO, and if you want to go even darker, then look at the black iridium
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Bolle from me, though I use wrap round sunglasses (gunflash lenses) on sunny days, and their goggles on dull snowy days
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
flicksta, which Oakleys do you have?
The option which would require the least amount of extra packing would be to go for interchangeables - as Adam says, the fire iridium is vary good IMHO, and if you want to go even darker, then look at the black iridium

Can't remember which I've got, probably just the basic iridium lens. I borrowed a pair of black iridiums and they were much better, although hopeless in flat light. I'm told Spy interchangeable lenses are good, although since I ski with a 25l pack, I'm happy to carry an extra pair rather than fanny around with lenses. Never had problems liks this before, really sore eyes, couldn't look at the mountain on the lifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flicksta, sorry, I meant which goggle, not which lens!
I've got the fire and the black iridium lenses for my Oakleys, but rarely change from the fire, as it covers most conditions very well. I don;t use sunglasses when skiing, as they don't feel comfortable under my helmet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wtfh M-frames I think, couple of years old and getting worn out. I haven't used sunglasses since getting a helmet two years ago, although my helmet needs replacing, new Giro 9 I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flicksta, I'm not sure about the M frame, but I know the A and O frame, and the Wisdom all take replacement lenses, and it's not a difficult job to do.
http://oakley.com/o/l271831t

But it is a good idea to try various ones on, to get goggles that suit your face, and lenses that suit your eyes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
O frame I think, upon reflection the M frame are glasses, the daft looking ones.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use Electic EG5 goggles and often switch between a 'rose chrome' lens for flat light and 'orange chrome' for sunny conditions.

I did have the 'rose' lens which was great for flat light but blinding when it cleared a little, the rose chrome is perfect for me. I've seen better flat light lenses but it has a broad spectrum so I now find I often don't carry the lenses all of the time. I use the rose chrome from December to some time in Feb, as even a white out later on in the season some flat light leneses are too bright.

http://www.electricvisual.com/eg5.htm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With a pack I carry spare googles and spare sun glasses. Both my Smith and Spy cover good and bad light for googles and I have an excellent excellent pair of Julbo high mountain glasses which I bought over 20 yrs ago. These have a dark blue lense and are the best for very bright ( high mountian ) conditions. They cut out so much light you can't wear them indoors - you can't see anything!

It may be a a pain to carry these extras but they cover all my bases. Look for a reputable name in high mountaineering glasses and when you test them in the shop you are on the right lines if you can't see much indoors at all. I would be buying these in somewhere like Chamonix, test them live with the proviso that you can excahnge them if they don't do what they say on the tin.

Don't take those liberties with you eyes again, sounds serious...almost a form of arch-eye..!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy