Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid-April skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Only have a weekend so ideally want somewhere within 2 hours drive & snow-sure. Got the obvious EK/ValT/Saas Fee options, but none are particularly close to major airports.

Any other options or tips?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stubai or Hintertux? Ischgl is open 'til the 30th too...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I beleive Orelle (Val Thorens) is only about 1:30 to 2 hours from Turin airport, Les Arcs (I am off there this weekend) is about 2:30 from Geneva airport and closer to Lyon and Chambery.

The monterosa ski area just north of Turin is also about 1:30 away from the airport.

To me the drive to and from the resort airport is not as critical as the finding the right flight schedules: as late as possible on both days. The latest to me appear to be Luton-Geneva.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgul, nice one, forgot about that. Never been, but it's been on my list for a while. Lively nightlife (so I hear) which would be good as it's a work thing. Ta.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Solden would fit your fit your bill if you want Apres too. Stubai not so much but the skiing is better IMO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how much snow will be left in Ischgl mid April.

Kaprun is another high altitude resort to consider (circa 1:15 from Salzburg Airport by car).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's also the often forgotten about Schnastsal in the Dolomites which I guess is about 2 hrs from Innsbruck and Verona
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tirol, good skiing (reds/black/gentle off-piste) more important than kicking nightlife. Will check out Stubai.

DB, Fair enough, I certainly don't want to take a punt. Kaprun looks interesting, but Salzburg a pain in the but for me. Only direct flights are from Stanstead, which is the least convenient of the "London" airport for me, also only Uryan Air, which I am physical allergic to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, I thought Ishgl was pretty high and usually open through April??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
DB, I thought Ishgl was pretty high and usually open through April??

As I said I'm not sure (maybe someone else can comment). I've never skied Ischgl, let alone in April but I imagine it's like St Anton i.e. really only morning skiing with bone breaking slush in the afternoon. The slopes at Ischgl and St Anton are between the altitudes of approx. 1400m and 2800m. Kitzsteinhorn lifts are over 200m higher but more importantly most of the skiing is above 2000m. With all the Apres Ski Ischgl might work well for a works do, but only getting onto the slushy slopes late in the day after a night of beer could be a recipe for disaster.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, maybe that's why the Stuben hotel seem surprised we ski until close of play in April most days, I enjoy slush Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, agreed re. the slush. Not my idea of fun. We're there to ski and have a laugh, in that order. If push comes to shove we'll have a laugh in any old bar/restaurant. Considering Sleazyjet LGW - Grenoble then Val d'Isere. I know the EK well so won't be taking a punt on which runs and lunch spots. Same goes for Val T.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-03-12 14:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
DB, maybe that's why the Stuben hotel seem surprised we ski until close of play in April most days, I enjoy slush Smile

I like it too, poor man's powder snowHead ..... and slush bumps are easier on the knees than the real thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John,
It doesn't look like Salzburg flights will work for you. One downside of Kaprun is that you have to get a bus in the morning too which knocks 30min or so off each end of the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John,

Although Ischgl gets less fall than say St Anton allot are North Facing so hold their snow really well. The Paznaun valley like many has it's own micro-climate which tends to keep temps low relative to other areas in Austria. Ischgl has a longer season that say St Anton too being open into May. Lack of punters usually closes it before lack of snow.

Solden is a good bet if you want a good mix of sliding and apres.
snow conditions
Ischgl will not be a problem - will be plenty of snow there until well after the season closes.

See article below for some suggestions.

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/features/late-season-ski/

Encouraging article in today's Telegraph as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9132909/Easter-skiing-the-best-of-the-season-could-be-yet-to-come.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy