Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine Residence Terrasse d'Eos

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Fellow Heads
We're off to Flaine March 24th, staying at Residence Terrasse d'Eos. Ski-in Ski-out..... one major question..... can we ski down to the lift pass office the first morning to pick up passes OR, is there a lift involved in doing this? I was checking out the piste map and it seems to show a short lift up - Les Gerats- before heading down....does anyone know if this is the case i.e is it necessary to take the navette down or can one actually ski down before having a valid lift pass?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
karenh we stayed there this Christmas and the apartments are brilliant. The outdoor pool is fantastic.

You are right that from the rear of the building you ski down to a short 4 man chair that then means you can ski down an easy blue into the main bowl of Flaine. So you do need a lift pass to ski to the main area.

The lift pass shops seemed to stay open until about 6 so you might be able to buy passes the night before you need them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are not able to ski as you require to use lifts to reach the ski office it's a 10 min walk or the free ski bus lovely apartments stayed January this year
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
karenh, I have stayed there many times (last week most recently) and although I normally have a pass I have seen many others trying to get up Gerats without a pass. When you get to the turnstile tell the liftie that you are going to buy a pass and my experience is that (s)he will let you through, particularly as it will be a Sunday and it is quite logical that you don't have a pass. As Tiger2, andcolian, said, if you get there early enough the day before you want to ski you can either walk or get the navette - the pass office is at the far end of Foret, walk past all the shops and apartments until you can see the bottom of the Grands Vans chair and the pass office is on the snow just to the right of the chair.

As an alternative, I think it may be possible to order a pass in advance and have it waiting for you at reception. Not sure what the payment arrangements are or whether they charge an admin fee for doing this but try emailing reception and see what they say.

Enjoy your stay, it is the best accommodation in Flaine, IMHO
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Mason is right - no problem using Les Gerats on your first day to ski down to get your pass.
The liftie may give you a gallic shrug but carry on regardless
Make sure you turn right at the top though else you'll have to take the lift again
You also still have time to order it online and get it sent to home in the UK
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great, guys......thanks for the info. Hopefully we'll arrive before the lift office closes on Saturday but at least if we don't, it's good to know that the lifties are prepared to "bend ze rules" as a once-off.

We had contemplated buying passes in advance - but we were thinking it might be better to wait and see what the snow cover is like before choosing whether to just stick around Flaine or go the whole hog with the Grand Massif.....seems little point in investing in the latter if the other resorts making up the area are short on snow.

I may well drop reception an email and ask what the story is on ordering in advance and collection from reception rather than lift office. Thanks for that tip, Chris.

One other thing......since Aer Lingus insist on charging a whopping €70 for my skis, I'm gonna use rentals instead for this trip....any recommendations for rental shops would be greatly appreciated - standard of gear and convenience to the accommodation is more important than price level here.

This is our first time to Flaine so any other tips, restaurant/shopping recommendations will be warmly welcomed Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When you drive to Flaine you will pass next to Les Molliets chair lift (just after les Carroz). You could stop and buy your passes there ready for the next day. Not sure at what time the 'caisse' closes on the Saturday though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
XPeak, thanks for that advice. I may talk to the transfer driver and see how amenable he is to that suggestion Wink Excellent idea, thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Karen - the nearest and/or best for Terrasse d'Eos is Snow Service at the Foret shopping mall.
The Navette stops right outside plus the ESI school school office, bakery, butchers and Spar are all in the same building.
Philippe provides a great service and has lots of good kit - he'll even open at a time to suit you if you let him know beforehand
Suggest you pre-book with Ski Set beforehand for the best discounts
Let me know if you have any specific Flaine questions
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
janner, that's great. Thanks for the info.....I'll get in touch with Philippe before we go. If I think of any other questions, I'll let you know. Cheers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
karenh, It's most unlikely there'll be a lack of snow in the GM - there's more depth than normal this season.

If you like patisserie then the one in Flaine Foret gallerie is very good. There's also a good pizza takeaway there if you need a quick meal. Flaine is short on restaurants but the Brasserie Les Cimes down in Flaine forum is good (my choice in Flaine) - bit of a trek for you from Terrasse d'Eos though. Enjoy your week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best apartment I've stayed in - by a distance. Only downside is needing the shuttle to go out in the evening, but it's free and the drivers are friendly. (Oh, and don't bother with their breakfast). Enjoy!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

(Oh, and don't bother with their breakfast).

but DO order croissant, pain au chocolat, pain au raisin etc from reception before 6pm the night before. It gets delivered to reception and you just toddle down in in the morning (in your supplied bath robe) to collect them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All sounds wonderful to us Very Happy We're intending cooking in at night anyhow so the necessity for the shuttle isn't a problem for us, really - tho, we've stayed in places where the only form of nocturnal transport was our legs so the shuttle is defo a step-up ....

Thanks for the breakfast advice ..... I look forward to the croissants etc in the mornings.....pretty handy service, and that's for sure.

billb, point taken re snow cover - reckon we'll invest in the GM pass and make the most of it all. Nothing short of a sustained tropical heatwave between now and the 24th can possibly lead to hillwalking rather than skiing this season... Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy