Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Ski Bag

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought some skis and taking them to France tomorrow.

Got them in a ski bag from Snow and Rock, will they be OK just inside the bag or do I need to put some socks etc round the tips?

Will they get bashed around on the plane?

Any advice is very welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blue_Owl, We've only ever paid for one bag and put two pairs of skis in with loads of ski clothes as padding. Not questioned once.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott has it right just pad the skis with all your other kit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davkt, but if it's like my bag you'll get next to nowt in it. I used to wrap the tip in old socks and stuff but haven't bothered for years. If they get bashed that badly on the plane a bit of sock isn't going to help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a very slimline bag and put some cardboard at the top and bottom of the bag to protect the tips and wrap the skis in a towel with some clothing squeezed along the sides for a big of padding - probably does sweet FA if I'm honest, but makes me feel better!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you golf or know someone who does then put a golf club cover on each ski tip and get a large tie wrap to keep the skis together
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we have loads of room in our bag - if I was gutsy enough then we wouldnt need suitcases other than for our boots and helmets
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott, I couldn't carry mine if it was any bigger - K2 skis plus marker bindings = very heavy Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always wrap an old towel or piece of carpet around the bindings, and tape a copy of the Times around the tips.

Previously Mrs Mushers uphill skis have been about the same length as mine, but now I have bought some of these modern diddy little carving things they are so much longer. We have concerns that the skinny little things might get damaged up there on their own. I am thinking about making them some sort of tip protection - like a bit of drainpipe or similar. Any suggestions welcome.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody got one of those stiff(ish) double ski bags with the casters on one end? Are they any good. Seem to be loads of them about these days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, doesnt your bag have wheels?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My bag has a couple of round things but I wouldn't drag it across an airport!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott, nope, it's a sling over your shoulder job. I used to have a big wheely bag but I couldn't manage it and it was too long to drag (I think we've had this conversation before)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blue_Owl, I just put them in the ski bag with no protection. Touchwood I've been ok on all my trips - no damage
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ditto, just put them in my ski bag. 7 trips so far so good with no damage. In 2 weeks I will have both my pair of ski's in one bag. Seeing as the bashing they take on a day to day basis in lift lines, on lifts and skiing I can't see what more harm it can do just in the bag for transport. Tips and edges of top sheets get chipped and scratched in use anyhows. That's how I look at it any ways and touch would never had a problem yet.
snow conditions
I can barely close the zips on my ski bag with the skis "locked" together by the brakes, I have to offset the skis while zipping. Couldn't fit any padding around them if I wanted, much less a second set of skis!
snow conditions
Got a K2 padded pacg for mine, very impressed with it - but I did squish a fleece at each end and a couple of hoddies either side of the bindings too. Once the internal and external compression straps were tightened up everything seemed very snug and secure - and arrived all intact!

More than anything, I like to try and make use of the weight allowance for my ski bag to help keep the suitcase weight down as my boots go in there.
snow report
Me and the other half are putting a pair of skis each and all of our gear (apart from our boots) in a Scott wheeled ski bag for our trip to St Anton. My aim is to travel as light as possible and with Swiss airlines we get ski carriage for no additional charge. We are just going to put our skis in the bag first and then pack everything in around them. I think I will probably put a single later of bubble wrap around the skis to not only protect the skis a little more, but also to protect our clothes from getting snagged on the bindings/edges The bag is massive and we will have no problem getting all our gear in, I think the main problem will be getting it round corners!!

Here's a link for the beast that'll be holding our stuff:
http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/2165782609223/ski-wheel-bag-scott-black-stripes-no-size/
ski holidays
musher, yep, ive got a coffin. originally got to for snowboard and skis which fitted great just used it for skis the last couple of years though(too old and fragile for snowboard face plants!!)fits one pair of skis, boots, poles, then all our pants, base layers(skis get wrapped in fleeces) socks. We drove to Les Arcs this year so on the return leg ALL the mucky stuff got squeezed in there.
Heavy as hell though, good job it had wheels snowHead
http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/P/Mountain_Pac_SHORT_WHEELIE_DOUBLE_Ski_Snowboard_Bag_160cm_Black-(26309).aspx
this is the one, mines just a little longer though. fits 170 skis and 165 board
snow report
Thanks for the links. I've never had a problem transporting skis, but one thing I have found is that boot bags get damaged as they are slung around. I suppose the buckles catch and rip the bag. A couple of years ago I had one disintegrate on me in the airport. Luckily I carry a roll of that brown parcel tape to secure the newspaper round the ski tips on for the return journey.
snow conditions
I'm not bothered if my skis get a bit of hammer on the topsheets, it's the bottom bit that's on the snow.

I just chuck 'em in a bag, base to base, and let 'em suffer Twisted Evil

I've a couple of big wheeled bags that are great, but miserly baggage allowances means I now use quiver killers. Two/three pairs of skis in a single bag and the bindings in hand luggage.

the only downside is that I get the hand luggage checked every time at security. Try and explain bindings to none skiing security staff every trip rolling eyes
latest report
musher, I had a boot bag mashed by BA once - they reckon it was dragged across the tarmac quite a way at Munich Airport! So, a new boot bag and pair of ski trousers later (they were wrapped around my boots), I always make sure I detach the shoulder strap when I check-in.

Andybag, keep an eye on the overall weight - max 32kg per bag. In my experience Swiss are very generous with their free ski carriage allowance but still can't exceed that maximum limit per bag.
snow report
Scampi Dellahanti, we've had one ripped boot bag and one ripped ski bag (can't remember the airline) but both speedily replaced by the baggage handling agent with better quality kit than that which was damaged. aand of course it is the baggage handlers, not the airline, that does the dragging
snow report
holidayloverxx, oh yeah, forgot to mention that - BA paid for the lot and my TK Maxx specials got replaced with North Face Very Happy
ski holidays
I can fit a huge ammount in with my planks. Never been pulled up for the weight. Allows me to stick my boots in my suitcase and have plenty of space and all that padding no doubt provides protection. Skis are hardy things anyhow.
snow conditions
Scampi Dellahanti I hadn't checked that but hopefully we'll be nowhere near that, I'm aiming at under 20kg for the both of us, but I will check the maximums and (somehow) weigh my bag before we go. Cheers
snow report
If you're real precious about your kit (like I am about my new board) then a trip to B&Q and £2.50 spent on the narrowest pipe cladding they have will set your heart at rest when you see a luggage jockey tossing bags around like the discuss...

Took me about 2 mins with a Stanley Knife to cut it into some convenient sizes, and then just slides on around your edges. Prevents any damage to edges, and has the added advantage of protecting your boardbag/skibag too from edge cuts, too.
latest report
Blue_Owl, I've just got a fabric bag which you slide the skis in from one end... I tightly bubble wrap them (offices etc have lots to throw out, I get mine from mum's office) hold together with rbber bands around the package (much less mess and hassle than tape) and then slide the whole package into the bag, secure one dodgy clip with gaffa. Not failed me yet.

I do like RussD's idea, might try that this year, bubble wrap works great but it's a bit of a pain to get wrapped.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crystal wieght for ski bags is 15kg for single bags and 20kg for 2 sets in a double bag, last year was 23kg, per ski bag. year before 25kg. Had to empty clothing into hand luggage, Juan kerr on the desk had already sent our other baggage so had to go and buy a bag, Thankfully this is where the crap started and finished. The Italians didnt even look at the bag let alone weigh it . British airways told me off for having it weigh in at 34 kgs but just stuck a orange label on it and let me be on my way a few years back. I have a large coffin wheeley bag that takes 4 sets plus kit with ease, not normally a problem until this year might have to think out next years approach. I think a Tripple ski tube will be the way forward for me. Only ever had an issue at this side of the airport with weight never had an issue with damage anywhere, maybe I'm just lucky.
snow report
RussD wrote:
If you're real precious about your kit (like I am about my new board) then a trip to B&Q and £2.50 spent on the narrowest pipe cladding they have will set your heart at rest when you see a luggage jockey tossing bags around like the discuss...

That's a brilliant idea - off to Homebase tomorrow! I was thinking about makking something out of drainpine/soil stack to protect the tips, but this is probably easier & cheaper.

I thought most airlines (that charge for ski carriage) were 15kg these days? I'm flying BA next time out, so have to purchase an extra hold bag and so get the full 23kg or whatever it is. Need to make the most of that so thinking of buying a double bag/box & putting the boots etc. in it along with the wife's uphill skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy