Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unofficial lesson at Hemel/snowdomes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know some people here work at Hemel Hempstead and other snowdomes so seemed like a good place for the question.

I have a friend who has never skied before and has asked me if i'd teach her. I'm soon to be BASI ISIA (fingers crossed!) but not employed by a ski school at the moment so i'd be doing it just as an informal favour. Does anyone know what Hemel's policy would be regarding this, would I be allowed? Or does everyone have to go through Hemel's own ski school.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
musehead, I don't work for Hemel so can't give a definitive answer, but I think teaching beginners there is a problem as you'll want to be on the nursery slope. This is normally restricted to Hemel's own instructors, especially as it is often very busy so they allocate space carefully. Best ask beforehand otherwise you might be asked to leave the nursery slope.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musehead, Most slopes have a minimum ability policy before anyone is allowed to ski without the assistance of the slopes own appointed instructors, once at the minimum level I think It's down to the discretion of the slope marshals at the time, they have to judge the difference between two people sharing tips and one person teaching another, from what I've seen lately though you'd probably get away with it, kids flying down in the plough of death with parents shouting encouragement!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If its teaching from the onset your best bets to talk to them, I've arangements in place for different circumstances that do work!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You would almost certainly not be allowed to do this unless employed by hemel I'd have thought, or be paying a cut of your 'revenue' (none as its a friend) to them for the priviledge.

You would probably not have valid insurance if something happened to the person you were teaching and they sued you (unlikely if they're a friend, but stranger things have happened) or something happened to another person that your friend for example crashed into and injured whilst you were teaching them . This is the argument used at a snowdome I know of when people are seen to be teaching others. Usually these are just customers rather than actually qualified instructors like yourself, but I suspect the insurance issue would be the same even though you have indemnity cover as part of your basi licence.

Essentially the insurer would say something like: 'the slope has a policy that only their employed instructors can teach there and you're not employed by them so you have no insurance' etc, etc.

As we all know they would find an 'out' somehow. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi there musehead,

I'll point this thread out to Pete Gillespie for the definitive answer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musehead, Assuming that you've merely helping your friend then it wouldn't be a lesson -just two friends of contrasting ability on the slope. Providing paid instruction would be an entirely different matter,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

musehead, Assuming that you've merely helping your friend then it wouldn't be a lesson -just two friends of contrasting ability on the slope. Providing paid instruction would be an entirely different matter,

I don't think you'd get away with it with a beginner, and as rob@rar, the nursery slopes at domes are usually restricted to their own instructors teaching.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musehead, We do have a policy for visiting professional ski instructors. I can send this to you if you email me at peter.gillespie@thesnowcentre.com

As already mentioned we do not allow use of our nursery areas as we are very restricted for space delivering our core products. Aslo there are other implications that restrict use "private" use of this area.

Hope this helps.

Pete
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy