Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - Any tips

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading out to Mayrhofen for the first time on the 17th March. Have skied and boarded quite a bit in France and the US but first time to Austria. Has anybody got any tips or recommendations they would like to share.

We should be getting into the resort with just enough time to drop our bags and go watch the England Ireland 6 nations game. Does anybody know any bars that will be showing the game? We're staying not far from the train station.

Any restaurant or bar recommendations in the town and on the mountain, do any bars have live bands playing?

We are going to have a hire car so will be looking to explore the surrounding resorts covered on the lift pass so any favourite areas we should look to take in.

We are planning on getting the Skibus down to the Horbergbahn ski lift on the Sunday morning to get our passes and head up the mountain. I assume we can get our lift passes down at that lift.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes to all of those questions - but I'm not telling NehNeh
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been in the 'Hof the last four season's, happy to answer any q's apart from "where's the best place to find all the pow" wink wink

WinWin or Movie Bar usually show all the rugby or football, by the chuch for WinWin and by the bowling alley and cinema for Movie Bar.

You can go anywhere in the valley and get good skiing, Kaltenbach to Hintertux, just pick you pleasure.

Mo's bar (only non-smoking one I think in town) has live music on certain days throughout the week, of varying quality but its a good central location to hit the town and a nice bar.

And yup, you can get the Zillertal Superski pass at the bottom of all the base stations!

Hope this helps, Paul
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just across the road from the railway station is a narrow road leading to the Neuhaus hotel on the right. It has an annex with a bar / restaurant (which is on the left) which showed the six nations matches last year. Good beer, and they do food for those who insist on eating whilst on a ski trip.

A few weeks ago the Strauss hotel put a premiership football match on for us in a lounge even though we weren't staying there. However we had arranged it a few days before.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Just across the road from the railway station is a narrow road leading to the Neuhaus hotel on the right. It has an annex with a bar / restaurant (which is on the left) which showed the six nations matches last year.

Isn't that Movie Bar?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the_doc, Yes that the one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen tips:

1. Good pizzas in the igloo/dome place next to Hotel Elizabeth - v near train station.
2. We've always enjoyed the Chinese restaurant. It's quite nr to Scotland Yard pub.
3. Hohenhaus Tenne, at the foot of the lifts at Hintertux, is a must for an apres beer or two - especially on a weekend.
4. Harakiri (Austria's steepest piste) can be positively dangerous in icy/hard conditions - a slide = non stop trip to the bottom - at speed! Search You Tube and you'll get the picture!
5. Great skiing @ Zillertal Arena & Kaltenbach....and Mayrhofen....and Hintertux.....and Lanersbach....the whole valley!!

Have fun!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. As your staying near the train station it will be simple to catch a bus from there to go up to glacier for the day. It will be well worth the effort as long as it not cloudy / misty. Get going as early as possible.

2. The butchers shop on the square opposite the Penkan is great for food.

3. When skiing on the Penkan it's worth having a few beers in either ( or both) of the bars near the top of the gondola at the end of the day, before heading down. If there happens to be a queue it's less of an issue when half cut.

4. It's 6 weeks since I was last there and even though I'm away skiing in two days I can't wait to get back to the Hof.

5. If you read the various threads on here about the place you will see that it's a bit like marmite. There are those of us who love it and try to go at least once a year and there are those that are wrong.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We've always enjoyed the Chinese restaurant. It's quite nr to Scotland Yard pub.

Knew a guy who worked there last season...I would NEVER eat there though I'm sure the food tasted good!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't bounce down the Penken with your skis underneath you. It hurts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Mo's bar Very Happy
If there's any fresh then sit on the lift, keep your eyes open and use your imagination, particularly if you're on on the Kaltenbach/Hochfugen connection.
There's so much in the valley you'll have a great time wherever you end up Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers folks, just the info I was looking for. Cannot wait to get out there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another +1 for Mo's and also the Sport Bar/Lounge up near the Penken lift if Brian Cristopher is playing.

Report here

If you have the car and feel inclined, worth a day in Zell am Ziller - of course, you can also take the train as its included on the ski pass.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bump,

Heading to Mayrhofen next trip for the first time. Much useful tips here thanks. Looking at a piste map of the area it seems that it is not possible to ski to town from the top of the Penken lift is this correct? Do you have to download in the Gondola?

Cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, Yes, you need to download in the Penken lift. I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that it is possible to ski back off-piste if the snow is right but there isn't a piste back down.
ski holidays
Do you have to download in the Gondola?

Yes. And you have to have five pints before going down.
snow report
Circusthing wrote:

You've met my ex? Toofy Grin
snow report
I haven't skied much in Mayerhofen, but I do remember one thing ... As you have to take gondola down, why rent the skis in the village? the ski rental shop at the top of the gondola was good .. no queing, great branded skis, and you could take them out and try another pair in the morning .... And not have to carry them home.
ski holidays
And its much easier to have those five pints without carrying the skis ... & Oh joy! if only I didn't have my own boots. I didn't notice if they rented boots there.
ski holidays
And its much easier to have those five pints without carrying the skis ... & Oh joy! if only I didn't have my own boots. I didn't notice if they rented boots there.
latest report
geepee,

As I remember it (and this was 30 years ago) you end up having to walk a fair way if you try to ski back from the Penken, but then I suppose that does depend on where you are staying.
ski holidays
Circusthing wrote:
Do you have to download in the Gondola?

Oh I intend to! Laughing
snow conditions
the white lounge on ahorn side is worth a trip for a beer if the sun is out. limited skiing but the top to bottom run is good. An alternative to getting lift down from penken is to ski to finkenberg and get bus into mayrhofen, not done it myself (beers at top is easier Laughing snowHead)

hintertux is great as was kaltenbach, hoch fugen etc for day trips. bar at bottom of kaltenbach home run was lively. skiing at the hof i found raskogel and eggalm to have better conditions and less crowds than penken area. highly reccomend the hof you'll love it
snow report
Quote:
I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that it is possible to ski back off-piste if the snow is right but there isn't a piste back down.
But there is a 'ski route' that goes down to Finkenberg (bus to Mayrhofen from there). I skied it on my first ever foreign ski hol in 1988 after a few trips to Scotland and about six months at the dry slope - so don't think it could have been too difficult Puzzled - though I do recall it being a never ending fire road/forest track.

I was staying in Finkenberg so it was ideal.

It's shown on the intearactive map, here:

http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal/index.asp?chn=zoom4
latest report
There is a much better ski route from top of Penken to bottom of Horbergbahn. It's a beaut - and ends up at large apres bar and a bus stop for a bus that only takes 5 minutes to get back to central Hof. If there is snow to valley floor it's pretty much skiable all the way, even if it's not officially open. In fact I don't actually remember ever skiing it when officially open, but I have skied it about 10 times ... naughty boy.
snow report
Or you can ski down to Tux and get the bus back from there. This means a few beers in the Hexenkessl, great apres bar.
latest report
mountainaddict, yer the route down to Finkenberg is a track through the forest and could either be nice and friendly or a horribly icey, crowded disaster. I learnt to ski on the Penken and stayed in Finkenberg for all of my family holidays so have awesome memories of the place. My parents still go back to the same hotel every so often to ski.
snow report
Tux, Tux, Hintertux!

The bar in Hintertux always reminded me of the Tower Lounge in Blackpool!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But you can't ski down to Hintertux from Penken Smile
ski holidays
Avoid the Penkenbahn. Unless you're getting a first lift or having a lie in the queues can be really bad. To be honest I didn't like skiing Penken that much anyway (too busy) but when I did have to go up there I always took the Horbergbahn. Takes about 10 minutes on the bus (C line or E line I think...) and there is very rarely a queue. The only good thing about the Penkenbahn is that it is right opposite Gasser which is an abottoir, butchers, takeaway all in one. Cannot recommend it enough.

Definitly explore the other resorts! A lot of people go to Mayrhofen and waste their week on the Penken when there's about 700km of piste within easy reach. If you're taking a car that's great, but if you fancy leaving it behind one day it's really easy (and free) to get up and down the valley by train and bus.

The rugby will be on in WinWin. Used to be the cheapest beer in town too, dunno if that's still the case. €2.90 for a half litre of Zillertal Pilsner, best lager in the world ever.
snow conditions
There is far too much chat about huge queues at the Penkenbahn, it's rare to have to wait more than 10 mins to on, and including waiting for a bus, it's almost always quicker than traipsing alon the road. Althogh H bahn does have the advantage of dropping you nicely above the Scneekar chair for a quick woosh up for breakfast.

I still think one of the best (albeit short) runs of the day is skiing back to the bottom of the Combibahn on a bluebird day early in the morning, before the runs are chopped up. Then head down 5 to the foot of the Sneekar, up to the hut for breakfast (or post breakfast Gluhwein) and then onwards!) Smile

Can't wait until Dec.
ski holidays
Quote:

Zillertal Pilsner, best lager in the world ever.

Yup. Great resort, great beer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy