Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A quick question....

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone.

i'm just home from another fantastic trip this season and was thinking of heading back for a full season next year to Tirol, Austria. But I've also had a brain wave, why not start a photography business in the snow park or with some of the ski schools that don't have photographers...

So basically i was wondering would this be a good idea? or do you think people would be interested?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have a small event photography business so have always been interested in what photography has been offered in resort. When we were in Breckenridge a few years ago they offered a full photography service with photographers out on the slopes and a shop where you could buy the pictures.

This year they had got rid of the shop, the photographers were still there, but you needed to buy the digital image at $19.99. The photographers were provided by the resort and the images were available to view and put up on your facebook account free of charge through the Mega Mix account (an account where you registered your lift pass and it gave data about where you had been etc). They were very popular, but don't know how many actually bought the pictures
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
irishjohann, I think that sound a really good idea. Just a thought, I think there could be also be a gap in the market for the kids races, just low level stuff like Bezirkscups, Landescups. When my son was doing those many of the parents asked if there was a photographer , as at some of the FIS races there is.

Good luck with it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks a million guys, its just a thought at the moment but I am hoping to get the ball rolling on this one pretty soon. My only concern about selling threw the web would be how many people would just copy and save. Unless i put one of those big nasty copyright symbol threw the photo's and removed it when it was purchased.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy[/img]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 8-03-12 10:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
irishjohann, my lot went white water rafting last summer. When they got back the pics were available to look at on a laptop and we bought the disc which was about €30 iirc. There must be about 25 photos, and they are all good so worth it Very Happy

EDIT your id is visible on your link
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
irishjohann wrote:
thanks a million guys, its just a thought at the moment but I am hoping to get the ball rolling on this one pretty soon. My only concern about selling threw the web would be how many people would just copy and save. Unless i put one of those big nasty copyright symbol threw the photo's and removed it when it was purchased.

These are some of the snowboarding shots. Bear in mind that i need alot of practice. This was my first time shooting in snow..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3128884014837.2139985.1046805377&type=3&l=eadfcec504
irishjohann, Good idea & nice pics, Have a play around with your aperture settings more to blow the background out a bit, this will give your subjects more emphasis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
irishjohann, why don´t you pm primoz? He is a pro photographer covering some of the worlds top sporting event, he´s a sweet helpful soul Madeye-Smiley I am sure he could tell you more about it. He may be a bit busy at the moment though, haven´t seen him post for a while.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kooky wrote:
irishjohann, why don´t you pm primoz? He is a pro photographer covering some of the worlds top sporting event, he´s a sweet helpful soul Madeye-Smiley I am sure he could tell you more about it. He may be a bit busy at the moment though, haven´t seen him post for a while.

awh yeah that sounds cool.. thanks so so much..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is very hard to make a living out of photography, even for those photographers who are supremely talented. I would recommend talking to a photographer at snow park or air bag and getting a realistic story from them. For many it will be about adding value to something else that is bringing in the cash. I.e. it is the air bag that's making the money, the photography is really just about getting more people on the air bag.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm, yeah i suppose thats true... i hadn't really thought about that.. oops!! Blush even if i worked in the ski school or one of the bars aswell... it would be an awesome season!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd pay an extra 5 euro maybe for a decent airbag shot. If it was included in the price with jumps, i.e. buy a photo and get another jump thrown in: would be worth it. Free if you want it to fb, and if it's printed you could deliver in resort in a hard copy or on a disc for a bit more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andersont, i was thinking of setting up a printer and my laptop in the hut below the park where most people stop and have a drink during the day... the guy who runs it is a good friend and would be pleased with any extra footfall... and then i could print on the spot and also put onto disks etc... and theres free wifi there too.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dare say there will be all sorts of small problems and you won't make a lot of money, but it could be fun and help pay for your season. Give it a go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couple of points:

We (OH and myself - both early 30s) were in Courchevel in Jan and found the photographers there (loitered at the top of the bubbles) a bit annoying, so am not sure how much success you'd get from people such as us.

However, I do think that if / when we have kids, I'd love to have shots of their progress etc....so think this might be a good angle. Have you thought of contacting the various ski schools - possible tie-ins with them???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu, yeah i know there will probably be loads of little things that i would have to go around... but hey why not try it!! take the plunge!! haha

jellemr, i know some people just get in the way but this week i sat in the snow park and took some of just random people and then they came to me after and asked could they buy them.. that's what gave me the idea... there are 4 ski schools between 3 villages that are quite close together and i know that one of them doesn't have a race day photographer but 3 of them do. although the bambini's with one of the schools doesn't... oh sorry that was a bit of a rant... oops!!!
ski holidays
Mate I've just come back from the apes, whilst there a photographer came over and took a picture of my son( he asked permission), however I asked him how much it would cost because I genuinely would of bought it, but he want 16 euro for an 8x10 print.

I take good pictures myself so I just copied the shot he had done, and when I got home bought one through the net a3 size, it cost me 9.95.

It's all about the cost of the picture vs the size of the image, you could make a killing if you cost it right.
snow report
I've got 3 of my daughter from trips through the years. First 2 when she was 9 and 11 are doing gates in the ski school races. I was very pleased with this one from L2A last year though, taken on a jump reserved for the photographer only. It was about 15€ for a decent sized print with the file on CD costing an extra 5€.

Natalie Jumping
snow report
Colin B, fantastic pic, well worth the money for memories like this!
ski holidays
Colin B,

Great photo. She looks a nice little skiier too.

irishjohann, If you can take pics half as good as this, then I'd be happy to buy one.

I guess the question always is...how much. 15 Euros for the pic +5 for the CD. With two children that's going to cost me 35 euros. Getting a bit pricy. 20 Euros for two would be a no-brainer.
ski holidays
irishjohann,

Anyone these days can be a photographer - so it is said. I would recommend you get some training beforehand. There are so many underexposed images on the web, ones with little creative composition and flat, uninteresting pictures. Some resort "photographers" produce equally appalling images.

Learn composition, learn Photoshop, shoot RAW and learn marketing.
snow report
irishjohann, I set up a photo business in an Austrian resort in conjunction with some tour operators (taking their guests skiing for the day and giving them a CD of shots at the end of the day) and it worked brilliantly. Email me at info@waranpiste.com if you'd like to know the details of the business model.

[edit] oops that is info@warandpiste.com
snow report
Well I took along my old DSLR (6 year old Nikon D50) and zoom lens (15 year old cheap Tamron) last week and took them out for a day. Pain in the butt tbh but was quite pleased with the results. I took loads of shots over 2 runs, the first had the best light and the 2nd had the most dynamic skiing but the light was pants. This was one of the best shots. I'd be prepared to pay for it! If I'd got my D90 with 70-200 Tamron f2.8 the results would have been awesome.

Natalie Skiing Easter 2012
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
I've got 3 of my daughter from trips through the years. First 2 when she was 9 and 11 are doing gates in the ski school races. I was very pleased with this one from L2A last year though, taken on a jump reserved for the photographer only. It was about 15€ for a decent sized print with the file on CD costing an extra 5€.

Natalie Jumping

Great pic.

And this should be the standard for professional ski photography IMHO.

If you can't achieve this irishjohann I think you will struggle.
ski holidays
Quote:

I was very pleased with this one from L2A last year though, taken on a jump reserved for the photographer only. It was about 15€ for a decent sized print with the file on CD costing an extra 5€.

I bought 2 from one of the photo-jumps in L2A a few years ago. They made my ok jumps look v impressive snowHead
snow report
I was standing at the Snowpark in Avoriaz for an hour or so taking some photos, and had two people approach me and ask if I was a 'tog. I ended up emailing a woman a couple of photos of her son. There may not be bags of loot to be made, but there's possibly a small market. Plenty of people have photos of their holiday, of each other standing about, drinking or eating, and of dramatic panoramas, but how many have photos of them actually skiing.

Maybe arrange to ski with someone, or a group for a morning or a couple of hours, and take photos/video of them as you go. I can imagine a group of 5 might pay £50 for a morning's photo-guiding, not as part of the group, just shadowing them with the camera gear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy