Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hints and tips for upcoming St Anton trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right it's a little over 2 weeks until I'm back in the land of Lederhosen, tickets arrived a couple of days ago. We'll be staying in Nasserein in what would appear to be the 'infamous chalet Schlosshof' Mainly I just want to put in the time between now and then by talking about the resort but would appreciate a couple of specifics if you'd be so kind. Where would be our closest supermarket/shop for stocking up on beers?

I understand that there's an Intersport at the Nasserein Bahn, how much are the lockers to rent for a week-how many pairs of planks can you fit in the lockers? If anyone is familar with the distance/walk to the Nasserein Bahn from Schlosshof would be useful. How is the bus system? I think we have a stop right outside.

We'll need to eat out on the chalet staffs night out (a Wednesday I think), although given our budget choice of accomdation we're not miserly when it comes to food and beer. I like traditional Austrian food, and some of the lads haven't been to Austria so would like to sample some authentic Austrian cusine preferably-any suggestions? Don't mind a walk or bus to get to St Anton proper.

First 2 days we're going to stick together before me and another couple of more experienced lads have a couple of guided days booked. Looking at the piste map we go up the Nasserein Bahn up onto Gampen, then to get to the rest of the area we get across onto Galzig. Am I right in thinking the Gampen area is popular with ski schools so can get busy(er)?

What would be a good run (pref on Gampen) to allow some of the more inexperienced lads to re-find their ski legs?

Any other tips etc would be much appreciated, Going to be a nice way to end my season and out of all the previous other weeks is the one I've most been looking forward to! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Oh and if anyone is out and wants to meet up for some sliding and or several beers give me a shout!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When getting back onto the Nasserein Bahn, ski down to the bottom of the lift station and catch the escalators up. Shorter queues than if you approach up the stairs from the uphill side.

Once you've gone through the barriers, keep hard right and overtake about 100 people who want to go up with their friends, by going all the way round to the front and operating your very own "single skier" queue. The lift loads very badly indeed IMO, and by doing this you can speed things up for everybody else (and obviously yourself).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of options for authentic Austrian cuisine - try the Fuhrmanstube (sp?) or the Train in the Montejola hotel. Booking essential there.

I've seen ski schools at Gampen, but it's not noticeably busier than Galzig I think (there's a beginners lift there, that will probably be busy but you should not need to use it). For easier runs head up to Kapal and ski back down to Gampen on the blue run. If they are really timid it might be worth hopping on the free bus and going to Rendl for the first day, that will be quieter and has the easier blue runs. If you go across to Galzig Osthang is a nice wide blue run, and the run to St Christoph should present no problems. Skiing from Gampen to Galzig is easy enough, but it can be busy and although it's a blue run it might be a bit tough for inexperienced skiers on day 1.

Other tips - make sure you have a day in Lech / Zuers - the less experienced in your group will thank you for this after they've spent a few days saying "that's never a blue run" in St Anton Happy You either take the free bus from Alpe Rauz, or pay for the Post Bus from St Anton. Either will be a scrum on the way back I'm afraid... but it's worth it.

Ski in Stuben, have lunch at the Hotel Post there (a 2 minute walk from the bottom of the lift).

Ignore the Mooserwirt (controversial opinion I know), much better to go Griabli or Underground on the Piste for beers on the way down the home run.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You must help Mario Matt's sponsor; in my mind the best senior slalom racer and best bar on way home the Krazy kanguru
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic wrote:
You must help Mario Matt's sponsor; in my mind the best senior slalom racer and best bar on way home the Krazy kanguru

Hmmm. I confess I have not been back to the KK in many years. From what I hear it's not my kind of place, but since he took over maybe it's changed?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What sah said seems mostly sensible to me, except I *would* recommend the Mooserwirt... but for lunch. Also I didn't find Rendl any easier than St Anton overall, at least not slope-wise, but it was at least quieter, which does count for a lot in my book. Lech definitely easier though - my favourite is the half of Der Weisse Ring going from Lech to Zurs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the advice so far. Keep em coming.

James the Last, That sounds like a good tip, cheers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski bus stops right outside the Schlosshof and will take you to/from both the Nassereinbahn (closest) and Galzig/Rendl bahns. Can't remember times off the top of my head. Crystal staff in Anton have Tuesdays off this year (or have been doing), either head down in to town or try San Antonio's pizza place which is only a couple of minutes walk away. Can also recommend the Fuhrmanstube, ate there over the summer and it was very nice with local dishes.
Best run to find ski legs is either Kapall (take the chair up from the top of the Nassereinbahn), or head over to Galzig and the Osthang run or St Christoph.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Sitter,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would experience the Mooserwirt apres just once though - just to say you've done it. If you don't like it, just go somewhere else! Do any day other than Friday though, it's RIDICULOUSLY busy on Fridays. Be there for 3.30 when it all starts with the Final Countdown..

I preferred it to the KK, but even so I think I'd give the Mooserwirt a miss if I went to St Anton again. Twice was enough!

Oh - a really lovely long blue is number 17 down from the Ulmer Hutte to Alpe Rauz. One route to it from Galzig takes you down black 10, but don't fear if you go that way, it's a very short and wide section of black and not too scary!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy