Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance claim

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so had an accident in Tignes in November which was caused by another skier. I was taken off the mountain and was in no fit state to thnk about getting full contact or insurance details from this person. The piste patrol did make a note of her name on their report that they gave me when they said that'll be €470 thank you very much. Anyway, my point is that my insurance co. are now asking for this info, and without it I fear they might refuse to pay out. I have no idea if I will be able to ask the Tignes piste patrol for this in retrospect, but will try to contact them tomorrow. The moral of my story is that if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation - be sure to get the other persons details while you lie bleeding on the slopes! rolling eyes Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Touretteski, That's a bummer. Your ski buddies will have been more concerned about you than getting details, but another moral that if it doesn't take several to sort the victim one should get details.

Does anyone recall what racing team she was on? Maybe that with her name might be enough for your insurance - they could contact her through the team/club
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, I don't think anyone knows which team it was and as you say, they were just worried for me. I would have been the same. It wouldn't have entered my head to ask. When I phoned the insurance co. from Tignes they never advised me that I would need that info or I may have been able to do something about it at the time. I guess we live and learn.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The piste patrol did make a note of her name on their report

one would hope that that report would be "in the system" and they could get hold of it - but it would seem unreasonable of the insurance company to refuse to pay for the piste rescue on those grounds - many people have accidents which don't involve anyone else, after all.

holidayloverxx, how do you know it was a racer? Puzzled Have I missed something?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, It was at the PSB, lots of us were there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Touretteski, They may ask for the info but if you haven't got it due to the state you were in then you can't supply it and that should be your answer. If the claim is just for the €470 and you got a receipt for that or can get evidence that you needed to be rescued, then I can't see how they could refuse to pay out. If it gets too tricky just start going down their complaints procedure (it'll be almost the last thing on the policy wording) and they'll settle.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Touretteski, From what you've said, you have a name on your report which in your state was the most you could hope for. You were in no condition yourself to obtain this information at the time, and no one else was under any obligation to obtain the information for you, and besides, as holidayloverxx, says, your mates were concerned about you, not the perp. ...Ergo the insurers may try and argue a bit, but any protracted resistance would potentially be viewed as unreasonable on their part. This would the position I suggest you start from.

You could consider handing it over to an ambulance chasing NWNF outfit Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Touretteski, I needed to contact the Tignes piste patrol recently, they were quick to reply to my email.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone - I have sent them all the receipts and informatiom that I have, but now they have come back asking for my bank statement confirming payment of the medical expenses incurred and also the info about third party!! I did pay the €470 by credit card, but paid the medical centre in cash. It seems a bit ridiculous. I suppose it'll be to confirm exchange rates, but surely they can obtain that info easily enough. Will try sending email to Tignes tomorrow and see what they have if anything.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd say what Bode Swiller said!

Can you say which insurance company this is? After all, this is what's important, how easy/hard they make it to claim on your policy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, it's Insure and Go. At the minute, they are asking for this "extra information". The interesting bit will be to see their response if I can't provide it. I intend on taking the advice that I've been offered on here and see how it goes. Will let you know
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Touretteski, Cool. Always remember that whilst insurers provide the policy etc, they have a legal and conflicting responsibility to their shareholders to resist/reduce any payments. Be firm! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Talking of insurance claims, I'm having difficulty claiming for an injury suffered in Val last year in jan. I fractured my fibula on the last day. had carre neige but needed to claim for the clinic expenses, crutches as well as a trip i had weeks later to Courchevel. Policy was with Columbus and it has been horrendous claiming. The expenses from Val were covered (though it took 3 months!) but i haven't been able to get my money back for the Courchevel trip.

I had an apartment booked through PV holidays costing around 1000EUR and flights for 2 through Easyjet totaling about £280. Columbus, or rather their claims agent, Global Claims Services, don't seem to understand that having broken my leg I couldn't go skiing in Courchevel, they have consistently been asking for proof that the apartment was cancelled, but I haven't been able to obtain this from PV. I got a letter for the flights from Easyjet, the claims agent then said they wouldn't cover and card fees or snowboard carriage and they wouldn't pay for my friends flight (that i had paid for). A fair few letters back and forth, but their communication has been dreadful, they take several months to reply to letter and sometimes only if you send a reminder letter. On top of this they are trying to charge me another excess despite the claim being related to one incident.

Am now contemplating taking this through a small claims court as I am out of pocket for £1000, 1 year later. I would strongly suggest that no SH out there use Columbus or any insurance company using Global Claims Services as their agent, they are a nightmare.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

they have consistently been asking for proof that the apartment was cancelled, but I haven't been able to obtain this from PV.

that's a shame, maybe worth telephoning them again. But presumably you have some "paper trail" - did you not send letters or emails to P & V, cancelling and trying to get your money back? And a reply from them telling you to get lost? Without that, I guess the insurance company do have a point. If you'd cancelled, and got even a partial refund, they clearly wouldn't pay for the lot.

You can't reasonably expect your insurance company to pay for your friend's flight - they would have to claim on their own insurance; the fact that you paid is probably irrelevant in the insurance company's eyes - as it's not a close family member they could argue that the friend could have gone anyway, on their own or with someone else. If they pay, eventually, for 1000EUR of apartment for one person, then you'd be doing well. You will always lose out on bits and pieces on insurance, as well as the compulsory excess.

If you exhaust their claims procedure to no avail you could try the Financial Services Ombudsman - had some success with that recently.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touretteski, the insurers did ask for this information when J was injured but when I told him that he didn't have it as the guy had skied off, and there were no witnesses they were happy with that.
She doesn't post that much on here now but Snobunni might be able to help up if they are being awkward.
latest report
Quite possible that they want the other parties details so they can recover costs from them eventually.
snow conditions
gangstarrrrr, a few observations:
Quote:

they have consistently been asking for proof that the apartment was cancelled, but I haven't been able to obtain this from PV

well, you need that proof. For all the insurance co know you may have sold the week on so I'm with them on that one.

Quote:

and they wouldn't pay for my friends flight (that i had paid for).

yes, they would argue that your injury is not stopping your friend from travelling. Presumably friend is insured elsewhere - you'd need to be on same policy to claim successfully here.

Quote:

On top of this they are trying to charge me another excess despite the claim being related to one incident.

Medical expenses has one excess, cancellation another. It'll be there in black & white in the policy.

Otherwise, their poor response times etc is a reason to bring it all up with the ombudsman who will take it up with them and get it resolved one way or another. You really need to get that paperwork from PV though.
snow conditions
All of the above thread reminds me of why I use DogTag, I have had two claims with them both settled within 2 weeks and no waiting for cheques, claim was paid straight into my bank account.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing but as I recall both claims were pretty straightforward? No cancellations, repatriation or third-parties involved. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And DT won't cover for the number of days skiing that many of us participate in each season.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Sounds like good advice! Hells Bells, Have spent the best part of today trying to chase up all the stuff they want, but have decided to go with the advice from Bode Swiller, and let them know that I have provided them with all the information that I have on the other skier. There was a name and a telephone number on the pisteurs report and that's as much as I can do. Need to wait for the bank statements to arrive and will get it all sent off and wait to see what happens. "Big sigh"
ski holidays
This all makes interesting reading - we carry our insurance details with us when we ski but neither of us ever has a pen or pencil in our jacket so couldn't take details of the other party if we ever needed to. I suppose OH could type something into his phone.... I have cards with my name, address etc and always have one or two of those in my pocket in case I forget who I am - so I would be able to hand one of those over.
Just out of interest how would you take the details down?
snow report
Pamski, firstly, get a proper phone so you can take pictures of the criminal that just rammed you and same phone will have voice recording and video recording so you can get details verbally.
latest report
Bode Swiller, on hind sight, yes, that all makes perfect sense, but in reality it didn't happen. There were six or seven of us skiing together that day, and I can honestly say not one of us thought of doing any of that. Having said that, once I realised that I wasn't going to expire on the mountain, I did have one of my ski buddies take photos of me in the blood wagon for my holiday snapshots!!! ha ha ha! Embarassed Talk about getting my priorities right Embarassed My kids liked the photos though! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
here we are - holiday snapshot rolling eyes
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I think both our phones take photos, not sure about the voice recording stuff. More things for me to worry about!!
snow conditions
Touretteski, it looks to me like an insurance scam Laughing

Your buddies are collectively dimwits then (no offence intended). How many skiers does it take to screw in a lightbulb etc.
snow report
Bode Swiller, My skis were delaminated by the racing edges of the other persons skis during the accident. (preferable to my leg I suppose), but I have been told that photographic evidence alone is insuficient for insurance purposes, so not sure if it would have been of any benefit having a picture of the "rammer" (which is a very good description of her by the way)
ski holidays
Touretteski, I meant in general terms that a few pics or film helps identifying a hit and runner. At least one of your pals really should have had the sense to get busy getting the rammer's particulars.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, As I say the pisteur took her name and telephone number, and I passed that on to the insurance co. My ski buddies took care of me and let them do their job. If the police came along to a road side accident and you had to be removed from the scene by ambulance, you wouldn't expect your passengers to take photos of or get details of the other driver would you?
latest report
Touretteski, So you HAVE got the rammer's details and given them to your insurer. What's the problem then?

I would trust traffic cops to get all the relevant info. I wouldn't trust a pisteur in the same way. No, if I had been with you not only would I have all the gen on the rammer, you'd have no win no fee lawyers forming a disorderly queue at your door. Are you still seeing double? Can't sleep at night? Funny pains shooting up and down your body? Can't concentrate at work? (clearly not, you're on a chat room) Hmmm, gotta be money in this.
snow report
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

So you HAVE got the rammer's details and given them to your insurer. What's the problem then?
I said in my original post that I passed on the details as I had them, but they are asking me for more details including the persons insurance details, which I don't have. I'm not sure if there will be a problem once they have everything. Not asking for outrageous amounts of money, just to be paid back what I paid out.
Quote:

Are you still seeing double? Can't sleep at night? Funny pains shooting up and down your body? Can't concentrate at work? (clearly not, you're on a chat room) Hmmm, gotta be money in this.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No ambulance chasers involved. 2 months physio and a sexy scar to add to my good looks and I'm all put back together enough to be able to ski again wink
snow report
Touretteski, I can't imagine your insurance could possibly refuse to pay the cost of the piste rescue - if they did, I'm sure the Financial Services Ombudsman would do the trick. When I used that service to chase the AA for their refusing to pay what I felt was an entirely legitimate part of my claim, they gave in and paid up once the official correspondence got going - I imagine that if they continue to resist, then the Ombudsman finds against them, it does them no good at all, publicity-wise.

My case was much more complicated (and no injuries were involved) but I did feel they were being unreasonable and they must have felt there was a good chance the Ombudsman would agree, or they'd not have paid. Your claim seems much more cut and dried - unlike the other case in this thread, where it seems the queries being raised by the insurance company are understandable. Good luck with it.
snow conditions
Quote:

...then the Ombudsman finds against them, it does them no good at all, publicity-wise.

Nope, it's the financial penalty imposed by the ombudsman that concentrates their minds and makes it easier to settle than argue further... even if they are in the right.
ski holidays
pam w, Thanks for that. Hopefully it'll all be sorted out without having to go to those lengths, but won't rule out having to go there if necessary.
latest report
Quote:

it's the financial penalty imposed by the ombudsman that concentrates their minds

I didn't think the Ombudsman could impose fines?

In my case the AA had effectively failed to deal with a key aspect of my argument. An Italian garage had replaced the clutch, but the car was in a horrible state on the (short) journey back. To cut a long story short, the French Fiat dealer said they had failed to replace the gearbox oil. The Italian garage denied having touched the gearbox. The AA's own technical person told me on the phone that it's not possible to do that job without touching the gearbox (as my local friendly garage had assured me was the case).

All this would have been clearly on the record - ALL calls are recorded in full and the last operator I dealt with (they were all very helpful) advised me to complain once we were back in England.

They fobbed me off - tried to say it was a completely different breakdown - and failed completely to confirm (or deny) that the Italian garage had lied about what they'd done.

They said that even if the garage hadn't done a good job, that wasn't their problem, as it was in Italy! I reminded them that they had told me the car would be taken to a Fiat Dealer, but as it wasn't, the repair wasn't guaranteed. Fortunately (thanks in part to a suggestion on the Apres thread where I got a lot of helpful advice) I had specifically asked on the phone whether it would be guaranteed and had been told it would be. The repair cost me about 1200 euros (and naturally I didn't expect the breakdown insurance to pay for that).

They were on shaky ground, and I suspect they knew it. My contract was with them and their agents had my car taken to a garage which did a negligent job and subsequently lied about it. They just hoped I'd go away. I nearly did (the cost of the work in France was only 200 euros though it had cost me two days and a lot of hassle) but the Ombudsman process was pretty painless, given that I had the whole thing fully documented and it didn't take long to give them the information they wanted - well worth it, got a cheque a few days ago!
ski holidays
pam w, it's an automatic set fine per case referred to the FOS whether the insurer is right or wrong. So, they settle small ones and fight the bigger ones where they are sure of their ground.
snow report
Touretteski, don't worry. Your insurer is interested in the other party's details in order to establish whether they can make a recovery from them for their costs. You are insured against costs you incur. If you don't provide the details you should get paid but expect slightly more investigation if you don't have good receipts.

Bode Swiller, is on the money with the advice. The fine he refers to is to pay the fees for the FOS cases and that is on top of the levy as well. If your claim is a lot less than the £500 case fee you stand a good chance of a settlement.
snow report
AndrewBailey, I'm sure you're right. Will send as much of the extra info they have requested as I can and then wait and see
snow report
Touretteski,

You've had the name and phone number of the other party since November. Could you not have just phoned and asked for their address and insurance details?
ski holidays
quinton, she didn't know she needed that detail until now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy