Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Tignes- Road Tolls

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a trip at the end of the season, driving to Tignes, then a mid week drive to chamonix and return to the uk from there.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how much the motorway tolls will be on any stretches of this journey??

I havent driven to these resorts before so dont know any of the tolls involved.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stylbe, you can calculate the tolls for your route here http://www.aprr.fr/fr/preparation_au_voyage/itineraires/tarifs . Around 140€ return I think .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or this website...

http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

Calais to Tignes is 77,30 euro - and it gives you directions with little pics of the road signs to look out for. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stylbe, as Hells Bells says, 140 Euros return should cover it if you stay on the Autoroutes. Viamichelin.co.uk gives a pretty accurate calculation as well as being a good route-planner.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
viamichelin.com is also a very good source of info on all this, including likely journey times and tolls. To their journey times, of course, you have to add the time you'll be stopped.

It's expensive!! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can always take the scenic route via Luxembourg and the Vosges. But it adds about 100miles and a quite a few hours to the journey. And to be practical you still need to pay for a Swiss vignette (SFR40) so you can use their motorways (the alternatives are not worth comtemplating...).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
€74.60
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the factors I take into account is that I can drive to the Alps in one day (provided there are no big weather problems) using the motorways from Calais. But if it gets any longer than that (and the Belgium/Luxembourg route has its own hassles, including some appalling road surfaces and, when I did it last year, long slow stretches of road works) then I have to overnight somewhere, which cancels out some of the savings on tolls.

I just put that journey into viamichelin and got 192 euros tolls. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
... (provided there are no big weather problems) using the motorways from Calais. ..
Yup,
Biggest thing is weather, good weather, you can do it in 8 hours (or less - depends if you want to pay Gendarmerie extra tolls), bad - depends on how bad, but you can easily double that if you have snow or fog on the way down, it took me 5 hours + (on one occasion) to get from Lyon to BSM
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

good weather, you can do it in 8 hours

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked To Tignes? That's an averge of 122 kmh non-stop. Breaking the speed limit the entire way if it's raining. I'd say 10 hours plus stops is more realistic.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Does it always rain when you drive to the Beaufortain?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Does it always rain when you drive to the Beaufortain?

No.

Next question?

I don't believe it's possible to drive legally from Calais to Tignes in 8 hours, raining or not. There is a slow section up from Bourg St Maurice to Tignes, the maximum speed limit is 130 kph and there are stretches where it's considerably less (regardless of the weather). Even if you are prepared to pee down the leg of your trousers (or out of the window whilst willy waving) you need to stop at least once for fuel and stop/slow down for tolls at least half a dozen times.

I checked the tolls again. Calais - Tignes - Chamonix - Calais came out at 192 euros.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:

I don't believe it's possible to drive legally from Calais to Tignes in 8 hours, raining or not.

Pleas re-read my post. I did mention the consequences of going.. a little quicker than the gendarmerie would like, but it's quite possible to drive the majority at 130, done it loads of times now. These are fast roads, whilst conditions are good - 8 hours is perfectly doable, OK - not legally all the way, 200kph on long sections is no problem, just keep your eyes open

I've just checked my bank statement, it hasn't changed - still 76.

Very Happy Al'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acurate report of 2012 tolls here - €154.50 from Calais to Albertville
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1983049
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:

One way - what were you driving - a tank?
ski holidays
Not long back from a trip to Val d'Isere.
Pretty sure Calais to Albertville was somewhere between 77Euro-84 Euro one way.
Don't have a particularly heavy right foot(80mph is fine), so the drive down from Calais to Bourg st Maurice took about 9 hours 30 minutes, including 2 short fuel and food stops.
snow conditions
Quote:

One way - what were you driving - a tank?

It is has been observed that tanks tend not to pay the toll charges
snow report
bertie bassett, 'and back again' is the key phrase that was missing there I reckon Embarassed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

200kph on long sections is no problem, just keep your eyes open

I take no pleasure in saying that i hope you only kill yourself
snow report
Quote:
allanm,200kph on long sections is no problem, just keep your eyes open

That's a night, or two, in the cells, a court appearance, huge fine, French Driving ban and possibly confiscation of your vehicle.
If caught and that is only a matter of time....

See here line 3
I missed out the 3 months inside!
http://www.automobile-sportive.com/technique/permis/tableau-contraventions-mars2004.pdf

More examples here on pistonheads
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=25&t=183277&mid=0
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
Quote:

200kph on long sections is no problem, just keep your eyes open

I take no pleasure in saying that i hope you only kill yourself

OK, you won't do that driving in the day (nor do I have a car capable of that any more) , but at night the whole section between Saint-Quentin and Dijon - perhaps even down to Lyon is pretty well deserted.

pam w is right in the fact that it will take most people at least 10 hours + stops from Calais to Tignes.

Boredsurfing, I did mention the risk in my post above.
snow report
www.saneftolling.com - well worth every penny (or euro) no stopping /queing at the tolls.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy