Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

damage to rental skis...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, sorry if resurrecting an old topic but am in Val at pres and after a glorious day today I have a large gauge in the bottom of my ski. It is quite deep and about 6" long (through to the core for c.2") Now, I stayed on piste all day and didn't feel any rocks but was skiing quite fast. Anyway, took them back to the shop and they want to charge me 40 euro for a full service. The skis are 2 years old (2011 model sultans) and otherwise quite battered (the tops are a mess but the bases and edges were in good nick) and I consider the damage to be fair use wear and tear and am rather reluctant to stump up cash. This is, after all why I rent and don't buy and I've returned skis in similar condition in Cham with no comments, but what do others think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Expensive service
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reasonable to pay for damage IMO
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jma, 40 euros, I'd pay it and be done with it. Cost you more in time and effort arguing over it. Could check whether your insurance covers it.

With my kids renting I always take out their insurance to mitigate this type of thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
insurance excess probably more than 40?
I've handed back skis with bits of base dangling off, and got away with it. Was virtually 0 snow (was grass when I arrived!) so maybe they expect more damage then.
40 seems a lot, but better than some places that would charge you for full retail price of a broken ski (that they won't actually replace anyway, but will just go in the skip).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A (fullprice) fullservice in Austria is normally around €30. I'd have thought they'd have done it for less given that it's their own ski, an old ski, and will probably get chucked at the end of the season anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Managed to gouge a groove and a 1cm diameter piece out of the bottom of a ski in St. Anton last year (misjudged the end of the piste after a few beers in the Moose Embarassed ). Guys in the rental shop tutted and told me off good and proper. I took out my wallet to pay for the repair only to be told. Don't bother, it's a hire ski and covered for repair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say pay up IMO. Core shots are not uncommon but I wouldn't say they're ware and tear. Think rental car and a dent. €40 for a patch seems about correct.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, core shot?

Either, to my mind,

You are too ashamed to admit you did something...(I'm sure that's not the case...)

Or

It's prior, poorly repaired damage, which is hardly your responsibility. I can't imagine hitting a rock hard enough to go through the base and not noticing!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's prior, poorly repaired damage, which is hardly your responsibility. I can't imagine hitting a rock hard enough to go through the base and not noticing!

This is my fear as I was genuinely on piste all day, there was a foot of snow overnight and I don't remember feeling it.

Thanks all for your input, will let you know the upshot of my negotiations when I pick up the skis in the morning!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its highly unlikely you managed a core shot without noticing, but I suspect you are going to have to pay.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would think that you could tell if it had been previously repaired though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, all very amicable in the end. They only wanted 15 euro for the repair which I was much happier to pay so I suspect it may have been an old repair. Also, not that this was a clincher, I was able to prove I was on-piste all day as I had my GPS running on my Android phone!

Bluebird and cold in Val today, and I have freshly serviced skis. Could it be better? Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jma, Pleased you got it sorted. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jma, good news with this, and a good reminder for us to check the ski bases before leaving the hire shop on the first day. We've started swoping skis at lunch and taking pics of the tops after being involved in a missing skis drama that lost us half hr of skiing, perhaps now it's worth taking a pic of the base... Very Happy
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Really? I have two coreshots on the same ski at the moment neither of which I noticed happening whilst skiing. Shocked
snow conditions
I reckon charging for damage to rental skis is not really on, they are rental skis and the shop should have the equipment to make an effective repair cheaply and easily and to hammer the customer is poor form IMO.

Surely it can be put down to normal use and if it takes 10 minutes to fix, how can they justify their first 'offer' of 40 Euros? It is also interesting to hear they started out with the 'bad news' trick of a high price of 40 Euros then 'helped you out' by lowering it just 15 Euros which suggests it is a bit of a scam and reminiscent of door step sellers calling their boss in the office to see if they can do anything off the price.

I would be pretty annoyed if it were me but it seems that the rentals in ski towns are part of a cartel.

Cheeky beggars
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Managed to gouge a groove and a 1cm diameter piece out of the bottom of a ski in St. Anton last year (misjudged the end of the piste after a few beers in the Moose Embarassed ). Guys in the rental shop tutted and told me off good and proper. I took out my wallet to pay for the repair only to be told. Don't bother, it's a hire ski and covered for repair.

I managed to go straight over a broken bottle in St Anton - it was on the piste, although right outside the Moose Very Happy Took a big gouge out of the bottom Took it back and was repaired overnight no problem.

I suppose it makes up for the huge fees...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy