Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Skis for my new Barons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought a pair of Marker Barons and need some advice on skis to put them on.
I'm 50 years old ..... aaargh .... but ski pretty well. Doing lots of offpiste where I can ..... SOPB next week - but snow looks tosh at the mo.
Looking to do more OffPiste but not specific tours at the moment ..... maybe up to an hour or two skinning to reach some side country pitches.

I currently ski Volkl Gotama 186cm with Marker Griffons and plan to keep these - love them.

So do the Barons go on skis I have in the garage ........
A set of 2010 183 Scott Missions ..... but having skied a few days on them in January think they might be a bit soft / slow for me.
or I also have a paid of older Mantras ..... and was considering these as an option too.

Or do I clear out the old stuff and splash more cash ....... saw Ellis Brig have som Coombacks at £220 ....... any views on these or suggestions for alternatives ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Czars or Cooms, must be 100 plus these days, Barons act as race plates giving extra manoeuvrability to something with a 43mt turning circle
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How wide do you want to go?

Black crows navis spring to mind, and EB are doing some good discount on line prophets if you fancy a bit of twin tip (ish)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You may as well take the opportunity to get new planks too!

Something like this could be ideal: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/wdirector/SubProducts/wdirector-0014
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys .....

I was thinking 90 to 100 to keep a bit more versatility ....... although ski the Gotamas anywhere and they are fine. Just not sure what it will be like to skin a 110mm rocker ski.
Coombacks are 102mm - bit wider than I was planning but the reviews are excellent.
Thought the Crows a bit too similar to the Gotamas which I'm keeping. No sale prices on Crows either !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Coomback - lovely ski! If it's in a sale, on it like a car bonnet!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PBJ, the other Ski to look at maybe the newer Movement Trust 186, pretty sure they have all sold out in the UK but maybe option for next season I spent quite a bit of time on them last season testing and loved them easy to ski but powerful when you need it especially with the tail stiffness.
They have tip rocker but rest of ski is normal and have a flatter tail so skining up is easier.

clarky999, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski, Thanks for the advice ...... sounds a good ski - I'll take a look at it.
Still got 2 more weeks this season and need to decide whether to get the skis for this year or next !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, wink

PBJ, given your username, you could also consider the Moment PB&J?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, Ho Ho Ho ......

Looked at the Movements ..... like look of Sluff .... Trust looks a bit too good for me ..... and possibly closer to my Gotamas.
Movements are pricey though ..... I can get the Coomback for £230 which seems a steal.

Not sure if I shouldn't just put the Barons on my Missions and see how they go
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PBJ, genuinely - it's worth a look! 101mm, tip/tail rocker, camber underfoot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found the moment ..... but not in UK.
Looks good and it would suit ....... but it's not going to be available in budget for sure !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy