Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maybe controversial.....

Poster: A snowHead
But this season I've noticed a marked increase in people wearing Ortovox ABS backpacks...when the they're clearly not off piste skiers.

Is this "on-piste paranoia" or is it a mountainous fashion statement???

Anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AFAIK Ortovox don't make ABS packs?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Ortovox plans to license ABS airbag systems in the future, but they don't do that for any current products. How do you know they're not off-piste skiers? Maybe they're just skiing the pistes to get to some off-piste, or waiting for some areas to open up?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe they're Snowheads and have seen all the videos of on-piste avalanches.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dazman, Are they wearing really fat skis to Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be wearing my snowpulse sans cylinder when skiing on piste with my kids in a few weeks time, whats the problem?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seen it too, its the latest extension to the all gear no idea portfolio.

Makes you look super gnarly when stood in a bar after your 3 times down the blue run

For maximum effect, couple it with POC goggles and a Bogner jacket and trouser combo!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, Pardon my ignorance....but you get my point.

rob@rar, Usually you can tell the level of a skier by skiing by skiing behind them....most of them I seen, didn't look like an off-piste skier.

kruked, SPOT ON!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kruked wrote:
Seen it too, its the latest extension to the all gear no idea portfolio.

Sho nuff looks kewl! Bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dazman, there's no doubt that many people buy lots of kit and never use it to the fullest potential. I have a pair of FIS-spec GS skis that I don't think I've ever got close to using them in the way they were intended. The one time I got closest it cost me broken ribs and torn shoulder muscles, so I don't think I can laugh at people who rarely ski off-piste buying avy safety gear. Maybe there's sense in inexperienced off-piste skiers using airbags...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I still don't get the point - is the question why are people wearing airbag packs on piste? How do you know they aren't going off piste? Because they are nervously snowploughing down the bunny hill?

More seriously I suspect they are followers of the ways and teachings of the omnnipotent Gaper Spirit Animal and wear the gear less they be struck down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar,
Quote:

Maybe there's sense in inexperienced off-piste skiers using airbags...

Ouch another can or worms rob,

The first thing people should do is get some knowledge, before going off piste, then a course or two and then start with a guide and instructor, an airbag should never be used to subsitute for inexperience. Believe it or not I have even heard people say, "well if I have an airbag why do I need a transceiver"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:

More seriously I suspect they are followers of the ways and teachings of the omnnipotent Gaper Spirit Animal and wear the gear less they be struck down.

Amen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, good to see there are believers on here too
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, parlor and the GSA have never been seen the same place at the same time FACT.
ski holidays
fatbob, parlor claims to have a problem with people skiing with harnesses. is this just a front to cover his true identity???
latest report
dazman, you don't need to be a super-gnarly skier to ski off piste. I remember easiski saying she always took her beginners off piste, so they got used to less-than-perfect surfaces.

Why so disdainful? Perhaps they have other strengths; like being able to spell, for example.
snow report
dazman, AFAIAC its up to your own judgement, who else is to put a price on your own or anyone elses life? I have a ABS day sack and always wear it, so do my pals, that said I am 80/20 off/ on piste, if you saw me in the 20% I guess you'd maybe think I was a KH, but if I am in the backcountry I know I'm happy wearing it, its no heavier than a normal day sack with Carbon canister, gets all the gear I need in it, and its wearable on the lifts, so whay not wear it?

I really hope I never have to pull that trigger, but I'm happy knowing I have it, it doesnt make me take any additional risk, but with tranceiver, shovel and probe me any my pals know we are doing evrything we can......and yes we do know how to use them too. I've used it now for 10 trips so at £50 a week its good value IMO, and I'll have it for years to come so the cost is not a factor.

We have decent goretex Arcteryx and Mammut type tech ski gear, and freeride hardwear - ABS to me is no different, its far from being a fashion accessory, its a proper piece of off-piste kit, and if I'm doing proper off-piste runs with guides I want the best protection I can afford.
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

Maybe there's sense in inexperienced off-piste skiers using airbags...

Ouch another can or worms rob,
Thought you'd like that one wink Obviously you're right about kit not being a substitute for avalanche education. Do people really question the need for transceivers just because they have an airbag? Shocked
snow report
Markymark29, great shout, completely agree.

pam w, Very Happy
snow conditions
I guess you're not aware of the slides hitting pistes and taking out chairlifts this last few days.... Very Happy

Seriously - why? It's only a backpack! Is anyone seriously suggesting seperate backpacks for on and off piste?

I rarely ski on-piste with using it to gain/exit from a tour/off-piste trip.
ski holidays
Not to reignite an old argument, but I think they're a much better way of spending money than helmets. ABS has a statistically significant proven life-saving ability; believe what you like about helmets but the evidence is much less clear. And then once you've got it, why wouldn't you wear it, even if you're planning on being on piste that day?

And you cannot tell just by looking at them whether a skier is planning to leave the piste, or can you? Do they have three legs? Or what?
ski holidays
It's a bit like saying an inexperienced sailor shouldn't have a liferaft on board because he doesn't have enough knowledge to keep him out of the sort of emergency situations when he might need it.
snow report
Look, snowHeads is a place to laugh at inexperienced skiers doing stupid things. Why are people on this thread supporting them?
latest report
Markymark29 + pam w Well said!

Since when do you have to be FWT standard to don a safety device?
As anyone unfortunate to see me ski will know i'm bloody awful but it doesn't stop me wanting to try off piste skiing and yeah I'm probably all the (secondhand) gear and some idea.
As for wearing an ABS pack on piste, I'll hold my hand up an admit to it. The packs are heavy and I'm still working on fore/aft balence while wearing one so it's good practise/ muscle memory etc.

PS To thread drift again I'm also taking fatties away next week so that's two threads I'll look a JONG on Toofy Grin
snow report
I would rather have an ABS pack than the avalung i have, as i feel odd at times putting the thing in my mouth when its a bit dodgy, but when i chose the avalung, the abs stuff weighed a ton and was a very silly price.

but really let people think whatever they like....who cares!
latest report
carroz wrote:
as i feel odd at times putting the thing in my mouth when its a bit dodgy, but when i chose the avalung

This sounds like a danger-enhancing device then, not a safety-enhancing device? As in it takes you to places you don't feel you should be going?
snow report
Wonder how many of them can spell controversial. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, No it does not do that, just in areas where in a group you need to go one at a time etc say a traverse across a face thats when i use it, ( or when a bunch of idiots traverse across above you as happened to me in Gers recently)
snow conditions
rob@rar, I tend to agree
Quote:

there's no doubt that many people buy lots of kit and never use it to the fullest potential. I have a pair of FIS-spec GS skis that I don't think I've ever got close to using them in the way they were intended.

I have tons of kit I have never used properly. I have even thrown away some that I have never used: the motor bike crash helmet, the car's air bags, even the climbing rope to name just a few. Of course I have never used my skis to their full potential.
snow report
johnE, How do you throw away the cars airbags? Laughing
snow conditions
Sorry, but they went with the car (I forgot to mention that bit)
snow report
Quote:

Believe it or not I have even heard people say, "well if I have an airbag why do I need a transceiver"

lets be honest - you don't NEED any avy safety kit to ski off piste, the worst that can happened is you get killed

the main safety consideration for me is making sure i don't kill anyone else as well
ski holidays
FWIW I think there is definitely a culture of 'all the gear...' and all that and people who substitute gear for knowledge and understanding. The sport of skiing (and snowboarding) has taken some strange turns in the past decade or so - perhaps this is another twist. Slghtly different thing but I still hear people say that they don't need transceivers as they have a Recco... equipment companies are so keen to market their wares that people very often don't have a scooby do what they are buying, what they should be buying and why they are buying something. There is also this culture of 'just off the piste is safe' - that is not necessarily true.
snow report
pam w, Markoncarp, The contraversial thing was on purpose..it's contrariness combined with controversy....but thanks for your pedantism anyway.

I think my original point was missed.....I've noticed a massive increase on people wearing them ON THE F**KING PISTE!!

Jesus wept....
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
There is also this culture of 'just off the piste is safe' - that is not necessarily true.

Greatly encouraged by ski instructors who will generally take their charges just off the piste during lessons.

e.g. http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html click on level 8.

Quote:
I am beginning to get to grips with skiing fresh snow just off-piste.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think my original point was missed.....I've noticed a massive increase on people wearing them ON THE F**KING PISTE!!

Jesus wept....

I don't think anyone missed the point - just read the thread more carefully. I know quite a lot of people who ski on the piste on the way to, on the way back from, or between bouts of, skiing off the piste. Or instead of skiing off the piste. I spent a day skiing in Chamonix with a friend who has an apartment there. I am an on-piste skier. She is a stronger skier than I am and when she strapped her transceiver under her jacket my eyebrows raised. She explained that she always wears it, thinks it's a good habit. She sometimes goes out alone, meets a friend in a restaurant and they decide to go off piste together.

People also pointed out that not everyone who skis off piste is a God - as you clearly are, as you can tell at a glance whether people are "proper" off-piste skiers or not.

Jesus wept again.....
snow report
Maybe contraversial....it's contrariness combined with controversy...

Its an opposite opinion that will cause argument?

Nice.
ski holidays
James the Last, bit unfair as they're not encouraging people to ski just off-piste but using that as a criteria for a persons self-assessment as to the level they are at.
snow conditions
dazman wrote:
pam w, Markoncarp, The contraversial thing was on purpose..it's contrariness combined with controversy....but thanks for your pedantism anyway.

Ahem.....pedantry? wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy