Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche instructional Dvd's or books

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There,

With all of the avalanches this year, and with my ever increasing desire to venture further off piste I am keen to learn the basics ( and more ) of avalanche safety. Can anyone recommend a suitable resource, be it DVD, Book or website.

Obviously a course in the alps would be the best option and will look to do this next year but any recommendations in the meantime are gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Mr Ted
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow sense - a simple thin book by people who get name checked by those who write longer more complicated books...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-03-12 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Henry's Avalanche Talk sells a DVD and a book as well as doing avalanche awareness training.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These pocket Cicerone guides are good:

Avalanche: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/473/title/avalanche-

Snow: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/474/title/snow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This awesome tome:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Staying-Alive-Avalanche-Terrain-Tremper/dp/0898868343?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
superb. thanks everyone
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Avalanche Handbook is also great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, I'll vote for that one too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avalanche-Handbook-David-McClung/dp/0898868092/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330982904&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only problem with The Avalanche Handbook is that it's hardly accessible to people wanting to know the basics. It's much more a basic text for a University level course and is definetely written as such.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, I'd say Bruce Trempers book is pretty detailed too. Not managed to finish it. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meh, Yes, it's not really suitable for a first delve into the subject. Good reference once you get into the subject though, and you can pick and mix the chapters to cover aspects which you want to concentrate on. Lot of heavy reading in there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoat of the dead, sure I agree it's something that benefits from practical experience and lessons most of all. Trempers book for me is the best compromise between information overload and getting the right information across. There is sadly a slight requirement for the former. I've not read Snow Sense but AFAIK it's also pretty well recommended.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powderguide-Managing-Avalanche-Tobias-Kurzeder/dp/0972482733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331022603&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21

i think it is good to read something like Bruce Tremper's book for the theory, and then Powderguide to help you with decision-making
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mr ted, If you are new to the subject I'd choose........

Free Skiing
by Jimmy Oden. Apart from being easy to understand, it also covers off piste and high mountain skills plus it's easily the most beautiful skiing book I own. Lovely.

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Skiing-How-Adapt-Mountain/dp/9163313138?tag=amz07b-21

Although I own most of the other titles they are not easy reading, and often have a North American context. When I did my mountain safety training Jimmy's book was the one I lugged on an airplane for reference.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoat of the dead wrote:
meh, I'd say Bruce Trempers book is pretty detailed too. Not managed to finish it. Sad

The Avalanche Handbook is a lot more detailed and technical than Tremper. The AH is the "bible" for avalanche pros (or so I am told by an AIARE instructor), I have a copy and find it pretty heavy going. Tremper was much more accessible. "Snow Sense" is also a good book, much shorter than Tremper, covers the main points about decision making without going in to the same level of detail on weather and snow science.
latest report
altis, +1 i think the avalanche cicerone is very simple and straightforward....
snow conditions
I'd recommend Bruce Tremper's book once again.

I actually think it is one of the less technical books, with the extra content being much more focussed on decision-making. I've read most of the books mentioned above and Tremper's one definitely comes out on top for me, especially for saying it like it is.
snow report
In addition to books there are some very good resources on the web.

Take a look at the AIARE site, especially the resources page.

The Canadian site also has a lot of useful info including an online course which looks good.

The EAWS site does not have learning resources as such (I don't think it does anyway), but it's the "hub" for finding avalanche bulletins. I'd recommend you take a look at bulletins for the areas you ski, if you can get in to the habit of checking these well before you go skiing you'll get a good idea of the conditions through the season. It's a bit obsessive / sad but I get the Tirol reports by email every morning even though I have only had 2 trips out there this season.

Henry also has a lot of good stuff on his site. I think you can even attend on-line chats to learn more but I've never actually done this myself.

If you want to get really in to it there are a number of courses of varying length. I did the AIARE Level 1 in Chamonix this season with Miles and Liz Smart, run by ChamEx. I would recommend it unreservedly... and if they ever run the L2 course I'll be signing up for that too. I think there is another outfit in Chamonix also running the AIARE course, but apart form that there are no other AIARE courses in Europe. I'm sure other courses are good, but I narrowed down on the AIARE course because it in English and the course places a lot of emphasis on decision making, assessing risk, traveling safely etc rather than just focusing on the snow. Out of the whole 3 days you only spend 1 afternoon running around with probes and transceivers - don't get me wrong, learning to use the gear is critical but there is a whole lot more to the subject than companion recovery.
ski holidays
Guys, thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it.
mr ted
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy