Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot project

Poster: A snowHead
hello everyone my name is Alex Vindis I am a 3rd year design student at the University college of Falmouth in cornwall, I'm doing one of my major projects on redesigning some kind of skiing equipment. As you might guess I'm a kean skier and have been since I was two years old. So relating my project to one of my passions is an absolute must. My main attention towards my projects concern is at the moment alphine ski boots. Everyones experiences of ski-boots vary but for me personally and those who I go skiing that I know, its a problem:
too much bending down to adjust, tighten, loosen and getting the boot on or off. the boots are too heavy to walk very far without tiring, the boot becomes uncomfortable to ski at the end of day, new boots can be expensive, walking downstairs, upstairs or on bad surfaces is difficult with the boots on, etc......

I am attaching a questionnaire to this page about the issues specific to ski boots, there isn't any detail collection other than your age and gender, it is purely for research purposes and it will only take a very short amount of time.

Also if you experience anything else problematic with anything related to ski-products, please note it down as it is always helpful in the development of this project and I will be very greatful for your insights.

I look forward to the results and your oppinions, cheers.....

http://app.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/aceofspades/skiing-project-survey/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Search on TGR for Eric Hjorleifson's 'Frankenboot' modifications - he did some pretty cool DIY mods that will be realised next season in the Dynafit Vulcan (?) production boot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexvindis, done. easiest survey i've done on here
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Learn to spell, you'll get better grades.

shoogly, not as easy as that one in snowsports... "Do you live in London? Yes/No". No. "Thanks for taking part in this survey!"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whats with the personal attacks, there's no need for it. This questionnaire is only the first as its the start of my project. So why do you need to say something like that, plsu if you must know I'm dyselxic given the slightly off grammer, please can you keep it on-topic, if there's a problem with skiing equipment (e.g. boots, ski's, safety, etc...) please let me know, anything else please keep to yourself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alexvindis, Don't think there are any personal attacks? Surely pointing out a spelling error is going to help if this is academic work?

There's no way threads will stay on topic here, hopefully you'll get some good answers anyway though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, I can appreciate that, but the words used is "Learn to spell" is very direct, not watch your spelling or pointing out an error.
But thank you for your point I am baring it in mind.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexvindis, welcome to snowheads!

you need tough skin round these parts wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tough thick skin, or fur might be useful. Survery completed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done.

FWIW I'm holding out for rear-entry boots to come back into fashion. Comfier, lighter, easier to get on and off, exactly what your survey is getting at.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alexvindis wrote:
clarky999, I can appreciate that, but the words used is "Learn to spell" is very direct, not watch your spelling or pointing out an error.

I'll be more direct if it helps. You've come here asking for help. You've been given it, along with some feedback.

Wind your neck in, or you won't get any more help. Without responses a survey is a bit pointless. A bit of kickback over some minor spelling mistakes is hardly earth-shattering is it? Give up using dyslexia as an excuse for not getting someone to proof read your work.

Your survey is perfectly reasonable by comparison to many of the others we are asked to complete on here. Don't spoil that by getting in a huff.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alexvindis, Done, best of luck with your project.

I appreciate your dyslexia is going to affect your spelling, but bobmcstuff's point is a fair one if you have access to a spell-checker. Dunno about your browser, but mine has a built-in spell checker for whenever you type stuff into a web page. It won't catch the difference between "your" and "you're" but should catch plenty of other spelling mistakes.

Anyway, to get back on-topic: possibly a patronising question for someone as keen as you sound, but have you seen the latest designs for AT or telemark boots? They are getting pretty amazing nowadays as far as stiffness-per-weight goes and have good walk-modes. You might be able to take some ideas from them. They probably aren't much of an improvement as far as actually putting on / taking off goes though. This link's two years old, lord knows what's been designed since then:

http://www.tetonat.com/2010/01/21/more-at-boot-offerings-from-scarpagarmont/

My tele boots are a few years old but are amazingly comfy, not just because of the tele "bellows" at the front, but because of the walk mode and the proper Vibram sole:

http://www.wildernesssports.com.au/shop/itemimages/Garmont%20genesis.jpg

Random thought: apart from expense of construction, what's stopping alpine boots from having a "bellows" at the front, just for comfort when walking? Once you've locked your heels down, it couldn't compress anyway...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm 3rd year design student thinks he can reinvent the ski boot. TBH you'd be better coming up with something a little less ambitious unless you've got very high level knowledge of plastics, physics and bio-mechanics. Just my 2p.

If you can invent a step in exoskeleton boot/binding that enables a softer custom boot to step out without any decrease in performance then you might be on to a winner though.

Why not just invent a better ski carrying handle or something?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexvindis wrote:

Alex.... which bit are you baring? Are there any photographs of you baring it? Do you have a thesaurus? A phonetic Dictionary? Or do you rely on Word's Spellcheck?

As regards the survey................ Boots are fidly, always have been (save for the Salomon SX92 Equipe). Takes a while for heat moulded systems to conform to an individual's shape. Perhaps a survey on which type of foot suits which type (or make) of boot. Also asking questions regarding foot width, instep height, calf circumference, boot flex, buckle micro-adjustments, strap width, ski ability, type of skiing prefered, etc, etc.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

...but for me personally and those who I go skiing that I know, its a problem:
too much bending down to adjust, tighten, loosen and getting the boot on or off. the boots are too heavy to walk very far without tiring, the boot becomes uncomfortable to ski at the end of day, new boots can be expensive, walking downstairs, upstairs or on bad surfaces is difficult with the boots on, etc......
Not done the survey because these aren't (or rather shouldn't be) "problems" - For starters, most adjustments are done by merely reaching down when sat down... ie on a chairlift, in a bubble, in a restaurant. There's not much you can do about your feet and hands being in different places on your body and if you find yourself bending down all the time while standing, it's more likely an overall fit issue. Boot on/off, even with difficult boots, is just a process you get good at. And boots are designed for skiing not walking so no surprise that walking is a bit compromised. People are no good walking in snorkel & flippers either.

Alexvindis, I'd say you got a bit of light joshing, which is a sign they really like you. I think you should scrap this and redesign the ski helmet.
ski holidays
Survey done - but just a few thoughts...

It might be better to have a scale (e.g. 1-10) for comfort when walking, and ease of putiing on/off. I personally found the Yes/No a little restrictive.

i.e. my ski boots are not as comfortable as a pair of trainers for walking around, but I certainly wouldn't say they are uncomfortable.
Likewise for putting on/off - I still have to bend over for tying up trainers, zipping up my normal town-boots etc. It is harder and takes longer when putting on my ski boots, but I dont find it a chore, as I already know where the clips go etc, and like to know my feet are secure Smile
snow conditions
Alex judging by your intro-post and your excellent use of polysyllabic words your dyslexia is non-obstructive in your use of compound sentences, descriptive prose, and pleasant presentation.

Pointers............... check out Strolz ski boots, Raichle/Full Tilt, and particularly the history of Salomon ski boots.
ski holidays
Alexvindis,

Good luck with your studies, I hope your project goes well. Survey completed.

Remember us when you have developed your boot range and you are a multimillionaire. Free boots to all snowheads (at least those that haven't dissed you)! snowHead
snow report
Alexvindis, done and best of luck with your research.

A few points

My boot liners smell really bad. Any solution for this would be great! The problem is that I end up skiing on dryslopes in warm weather and end up doing lots and lots of hiking. Ski boots I presume are not intended for summer weather.

My current boots are really easy to get on and off because they are the right shape for my foot. My old boots which were 2 full boot sizes larger were much much harder to get on and off. Boots should fit your feet like a firm handshake.

For the first few days ski boots can be very uncomfortable. But ski boots liners pack out over time and either the liner need replacing or its time for some new boots.

Lots of people have poor ankle/calf flexibility and this will affect how well they get on with ski boots. My dad struggles a lot with his boots.
latest report
Alexvindis wrote:
But thank you for your point I am bearing it in mind.....

I have actually completed the survey for you, it was fine and pretty easy.

Proper spelling and grammar will make it look more professional, and personally I think it comes across as a bit lazy if the person asking you to complete a survey hasn't bothered to at least run a spell checker over it. I am pretty pedantic though.

I apparently have ski boot shaped feet because I've never had any real problems apart from a bit of ankle bruising on some rentals once.
snow report
Alexvindis, I agree with the others - overall very little is being found wrong with your survey - you are getting a very easy ride - try putting the word 'survey' into the search engine on the top Left hand screen and see the rough ride others have had.

Anyhow, I've also done the survey, good luck with it. I'd like boots that were easier to get my foot into when they are cold! I got crippled in a carpark this year when mine were cold one morning.
latest report
Done.
snow report
Alexvindis, done
ski holidays
Alexvindis, Done
snow conditions
Alexvindis, Done and good luck with your project.

I need new boots so am very willing to test prototypes wink
snow conditions
Alexvindis, done
ski holidays
I did your survey, by most standards of student surveys it was concise and a model of clarity, well done. Please post back with your resultant design so we can critique it wink A bit clue for you to think about is it isn't the weight of the boot when it's clipped in that's really an issue it's the weight/inflexibility when walking around that could be improved. This is peripheral at best (except for tourers/mountaineers) so needs to be achieved with no performance compromise.
snow conditions
done,

still not quite sure what you are trying to design..... BTW it is very VERY expensive to make ski boots
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Done
snow report
fatbob, Hmm I answered basing the weight of my boots as I drag them around the airport....
snow report
ap96, actually the bellows will compress a bit, unless there is a shim under the sole in alpine bindings (or if that part of the boot is flat onto the binding at that point). Not sure it's that noticeable but they will for sure flex a bit
snow conditions
Think he's been scared off Madeye-Smiley

Done survey by the way Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy