Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just how accurate is Viamichelin ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi ! I'm planning my route driving over from Boulogne (via speedferries) to Termignon to go skiing in Feb (25/02/05). Viamichelin comes up with an estimate of around 9 hours to cover a calculated distance of 585miles. Does this seem overly long Puzzled Anyone driven this route/and or similar, Termignon is in the Haute Maurienne Valley next to Val Cenis.

Rgds

Richard Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Type23, 585 miles in 9 hours seems about right.
I just put it through Autoroute, and it says 586 miles, and 8 hours 55 minutes.

BUT - I wouldn't go the way they say - it wants to take you through Paris - I would go over to the A26, and go via Arras - Reims
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(I should have added, MS Autoroute uses the same algorhythms as most European car manufacturers in their satnav systems)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Type23, They got my recent summer trip to Morzine then back over the Haute Jura to Nr Dijon perfect including up to date toll charges to the nearest cent, I was impressed. our route was also the best one (after checking the atlas) but knowing computers I'd always check too that it was the most appropriate route etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. WTFH will note your observation regarding avoiding Paris, thought Viamichelin was supposed to take traffic conditions/date etc into account thou? Frosty, was hoping the tolls quoted were actually lower in real life Shocked Gulp talk about steep Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A good test of UK Sat Nav systems is to put in the name of the small town of Tidworth, which straddles the Wiltshire Hampshire border. If it comes up on the Sat Nav all is well, if it doesn't put in North Tidworth and it usually appears.
The name North Tidworth (the Hampshire bit) was dropped in the local council boundaries review in the 1970's.
Some sat navs core data is very old!

This is just one example I am told there are quite a few others.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-09-05 7:07; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use ViaMichelin as it shows snowchain areas and winter road closures, last Winter the AA autoroute wanted to send me over a closed pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used ViaMichelin without much success from Venice to the Dolomites. Sent me the 'quickest' route which happened to be over a windy mountain pass which was clearly closed a week later on the return trip after 3 days of snow! (without any apparent effort to keep it open!)

As it turned out there was an alternative 'longer', but quicker (even in bad weather), route straight down to a valley and along an Autostrada. Having said that, the route it sent us was simply stunning - but thankfully on the trip there we had good weather. I suspect that the information in it used shortest distance without taking into account the fact that it was sending me over a hair-pin bended mountian pass for an hour which is slow even in good weather ...

I suspect that it is a bit of a lottery as to whether you get the optimal route for any give trip using it so Frosty's comment about checking it is probably very wise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Type23, it takes traffic conditions in... up to a point. I have my Autoroute configured to say I drive at 75mph on motorways, 62 on dual carriageways, 40 on main roads and 34 on other roads. From experience it has served me fairly accurately.
A possible reason why ViaMichelin takes the Paris route is because the Arras/Reims route is probably 30 miles longer, and if the roads were clear, would probably be about 40 minutes longer as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy