Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for an ABS refill?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tomorrow I will be getting an old ABS bag that has never been fired and I want to test fire it, as it has been last serviced some years ago and is a 2003 model...
My question is where can I go and refill the canister and the trigger? I know snowshepherd.co.uk does it, but it takes some days and I am flying to La Grave this Thursday...
Is there a place around London that provides the service, or at La Grave/Les Deux Alps?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd try calling objectif meije in la Grave and seeing if they can help you. Otherwise Ski Extreme in LDA is a reasonable bet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moridinbg, maybe worth checking with your local dive shop.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just bought an ABS from an ABS dealer in Germany. They told me I could come back annually to test fire, and they would replace the cartridge and trigger for a small cost. I'd check on the ABS website for a dealer in the UK.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gatecrasher, The ones which rely on copmpressed air can be filled in dive shops, afraid the ABS (which I have) doesn't. I'd be tempted to just buy a new cylinder in a local shop if I can't arrange a refill and see if they will pay you to take it back after you have tested it. After all, every new one comes with a spare to test fire it.

ABS packs use gas cartridges filled with compressed liquid nitrogen.
Snowpulse packs (along with new manufacturers like Backcountry Access, Mystery Ranch and Mammut) use cylinders filled with dry compressed air.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, the latest generation of snowpulse has gone on to nitrogen.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, yep heard the latest ones use nitrogen wasn't sure about the early ones.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gatecrasher, Ah... not sure on that one myself... even the history page doesn't help.

http://www-alt.abs-airbag.com/historie.php?chid=1248&m=3&lang=fr
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try giving www.snowsafe.co.uk (based in Brighton) a ring they seem to have a good amount in stock to replenish used handles/canisters and I found their service excellent. Quite at odds with ABS themselves who never responded to emails ( even in German) about servicing my pack but who seemed to happily put me on their junk email list.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moridinbg wrote:
Tomorrow I will be getting an old ABS bag that has never been fired and I want to test fire it, as it has been last serviced some years ago and is a 2003 model...
My question is where can I go and refill the canister and the trigger? I know snowshepherd.co.uk does it, but it takes some days and I am flying to La Grave this Thursday...
Is there a place around London that provides the service, or at La Grave/Les Deux Alps?

There is at least one place in La Grave where you can buy a replacement.

I was in La Grave and exchanged two of the dodgy batch of bottles which ABS recalled for two nice fresh new ones in a shop in La Grave where our guide's mate was the ski-tech man. I cannot remember the name of the shop but they were carrying at least 6 bottle/trigger sets in stock when I was there (Feb 2012). The shop is located on the left hand-side of the road about 100m after you pass Le Castillon hotel on the left and before you get to the steps to the Edelweiss. If you get to the "Twinner"(?) shop on the right then you have gone a bit too far up the hill...

I suggest you simply go to the shop and test fire it there AFTER you have checked that they have replacement stock for you... Have someone video it inflate.

I am sure they will help you refold and repack and be sure to get that right.

Bon chance

As far as self-servicing goes, there should be a small ampoule of silicone in the bottle/trigger styropack.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy