Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere Ski Pass

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Finally booked a holiday to Claviere today, staying at the Grand Claviere hotel with Crystal.

We haven't got our lift passes yet, as have been trying to find out and decide which one would be best for us.

It is just the two of us with our 4 year old (nearly 5). This will be his 3rd ski holiday and he can ski blues fine, and can probably tackle the easy reds, but still snowploughs. He won't be in ski school, so we will all be skiing together every day. We don't expect him to be able to cover loads of area in a day, just down to getting tired etc. To give an example, last year we were in Pila, and he could ski all the blues there and an easy red, and Pila had more than plenty for him.He's then skied in Belle Plagne at New Year there, so a bit more practice.

The options we were thinking of were the Claviere local pass, or the Claviere/Montgenevre pass - with Crystal, or waiting until we get there to get the Monts De La Lune pass. Obviously the Claviere local pass will save us a fair bit of money (wee one is free anyway), but would we really be better being able to access Montgenevre on a daily basis? I've been reading various threads on here, most people recommend the C/M pass but I can't see anything on how much skiing there is with just the Claviere pass.

We would also quite like to do a day trip to Serre Chevalier, and know that this is included with the Monts de la Lune pass, but we could just buy a day pass for there if we just had the local Claviere one.

On the subject of a day trip to Serre Che, the tourist office says you can get a bus to Briancon then a bus from there, has anyone ever done it and know how long it takes, is it a tedious journey? Does anyone know if Crystal offer a day trip there?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilly - the Claviere/Montgenvre pass is called the Monts de lune pass. I would order it from Crystal now unless there is any cost saving from buying it later.

I think the runs in Montgenevre are better for beginners than those in Claviere so I would personally get the Monts de lune pass rather than the Claviere only pass. However we were based in Montgenevre skiing over to claviere so spent more time in Montgenevre and know those runs better.

I think your son would probably be able to do the short red from claviere to Montgenevre. Coming back you'd have to take the green cross country track and possibly do a bit of walking at the end. The higher red/black route would be too hard for your son.

I'd have thought it would be a bit of a trek to serre chevalier by public transport but maybe Crystal could advise you if it can be done ie. whether the bus from claviere to briancon links up with another bus to take you to the serre chevalier ski lifts?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowymum,

Thanks, Crystal calls their Claviere / Montgenevre pass - Montginervo?? They basically have a local pass, an area pass and this Montginervo pass?
As for Serre Che, to quote the tourist office :

"There are many buses to Serre Chevalier : you have to take a bus from
Montgenèvre to Briançon and another one from Briançon to Serre Chevalier."

Just don't know from this how long it is, and whether it is a pain, with skis and a 4 year old.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilly - I'm not sure how Crystal work out their lift passes as we haven't ever travelled with them. In Montgenevre there is a Montgenevre only pass which has to be booked on a daily basis, the Monts de lune (montgenevre/claviere) pass and the grand galaxie pass which I think has more days skiing in other parts of the milky way. I think the day in serre chevalier is included on the monts de lune so I would ask crystal for their montgenevre/claviere pass.

I don't know any details of the bus from Montgenevre to serre chevalier. I would send an email via the montgenevre website to find out times. I would also check if you can ski in montgenevre/claviere on the same day as you are skiing in serre che. As I assume you would have to ski over to montgenevre to get the bus.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was at the Grand Claviere in January, so my info is up-to-date. The first thing I would say is that Claviere is very short of blue runs, There is only the one! The run back to the hotel is a black or a red, and although they are wide, it might be a bit of a challenge for a 4 year-old. The runs up the hill are red with some steep parts.

We enjoyed the Grand Claviere and the young and enthusiastic staff are a joy.

We were given the Via Lattea pass as part of our deal, but getting to use it will be difficult for you. The only route to the rest of the Via Lattea is down a challenging red from the top and then you have to go DOWN a chair with your skis off to get to the bottom in order to get a bubble up the other side to San Sicario. Yes, you can ski down the road, but it takes ages and is very dull, apparently. I doubt you will enjoy organising getting on a down chair, holding skis and settling a 4-year -old.

I think I am concluding that your best bet is to get the Monts de Lune pass (Claviere and Montgenevre) . Crystal don't supply this one, as far as I know (though they might if you insist - they are truly helpful), but if not, you will have to walk down the main road, turn down the slope just past the church and go to the wooden hut on the right just before the lower chair lift. To all intents and purposes there are only two lifts in Claviere: the higher one is the way back to the hotel and to Montgenevre, the lower one gets you to the rest of the Via Lattea and the nice reds at the top. You can buy your Monts de Lune pass at the hut.

The only awayday we were offered was to Sauze, but we didn't do it in the end as the snow was not so good there. We did get some good half-days' guiding.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank Chris Bish, for the info. Hoping the reds are not as steep as France ones (usually find Italy a bit easier). Wee one is pretty good at keeping control and his speed down (we drummed this into him when he was starting at 3), so may manage a wee bit of steep stuff, we'll see. Edited to add - just thinking, a chance it will be icy, so the steep stuff may be really hard for him, as he's not grasped how to use his edges properly.

I agree I don't fancy going down on a chair with a 4 year old, I am scared of heights so hate going down a chair anyway. We didn't intend getting the Via Lattea pass as knew it wouldn't be worth it with the wee one. Looks like the Monts de Lune pass is the way to go. I was hoping we'd get away with a local pass and keep costs down as we won't be doing much mileage, but does seem like we really need to include Montgenevre somehow.

Looking forward to the Grand Claviere, if we enjoy it, it may be on the agenda for our group holiday next year - that's my excuse for booking this late deal - all in the name of research for the 2013 holiday! LOL
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gilly28, From what you say, I think you will do the majority of your skiing in Montgenevre. Nothing wrong with that - it is very pleasant. You can - just about - ski back from there to the hotel along the footpath, but it is flattish.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish wrote:
Gilly28, From what you say, I think you will do the majority of your skiing in Montgenevre. Nothing wrong with that - it is very pleasant. You can - just about - ski back from there to the hotel along the footpath, but it is flattish.

snowHead

Oh dear sounds like a pole punt! Might be time he learnt to use those edges!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd forget the idea of a day trip to Serre Chevalier, if I were you, unless you have your own transport. We did a 2 centre holiday a couple of years ago, first in Claviere and then in Serre Chevalier, and we managed just an afternoon's skiing in SC the day we moved (by bus). Admittedly, we did go to Monetier Les Bains which is further away than Briancon, but I seriously doubt a trip is worth it. There's plenty of good skiing round Claviere and Montgenevre, and if you want a bit more, you're best heading off in the other direction, over towards the other Via Lattea areas (Sansicario, Sauze d'Oulx, Sestriere). I seem to recall that a week's pass for Claviere + Montgenevre allowed you a day in the other Via Lattea resorts (I actually had a pass for the entire area).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Regarding the lift passes - we were in claviere ( grande claviere ) in January - there are two levels - we opted for the most expensive as it covered the whole ares ( I would however suggest that wiith a 4 year old you will only need the claviere/ montgenere option.

you child will get a free pass equivalent to what you order through crystal ( passes are free under 6) , crystal pass was actually cheaper
that in resort by 20 euros - check the going rate before you pre rder it varies from week to week, but crystal have a flat rate.

if you cross back and forth to montgenevre then the black back from france is rubbish ( although you may find your 4 year old is small enough to cope as in places being small alllows you to avoid stuff.

Getting to the ski lifts in the morning , come out of the ski-locker room door, cross over the car-park, turn RIGHT down the road , whicn turns to the left as you walk it - cross over the carpark to the little exit , from where you can see the ice rink ( Tennis court in summer) , put skis on and follow the little path to the fron of the ice rink, TURN LEFT, follow the track / skiway to the top claviere lift, the others are below you.

once up top you can ski all the way back to the hotel accross the back, and over the rear of the garden, but if you get it wrong there is a hell of a drop down at the locker room door , as you litterally drop over into the back by the door.

comming back from montgenever you can follow the golf course - this is the nordic skiway all the way back from the bottom of the 6 man all the way to the grand claviere back door, this is easy for a child either polling on ski's or walking - I recommend the slamm bar at the golfcourse for the most amazing hot chockolates for the kids ( those from 4-400 in age )

There are more than enough runs in claviere / montgenevre to keep a family with ah small one busy all day

if you need a break the childcare staff are fantastic, and you little one will have a great day off ( allowing you to explore further - or to enjoy that chocolate in peace)

the Blue down from the very bollom lift into claviere gets very very busy late afternoon, so best avoided in the last 20 mins or so of the ski-ing day.

by the way - the long blues in montgenevre have a lot of challenging red pists that criss cross them ( allowing you to cut the corners of the blues ) - its very easy to take it in turns taking your 4 year old down the blue whilst the other has fun on the red sections ( and you 4 year old will be able to see you ) and meet up with you

Have a great holiday
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just to further add we have been to the grand Claviere twice now and its great base for a family holiday - even better now you can get you lunchtime snack included
although you may want to take your own chocolate bars as the biscuits are not up to much
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gazza2,
Thanks for all the info, will need to make up a wee spreadsheet with the points noted.

Re Serre Che, the main reason we fancied a day there is that it was where we had our first ski holiday many years ago, and it would be interesting to see it again, but not a big deal, definately a no no if a crap journey to get there.

Yeah normally we would get an all area pass, and have done so even with kids when we've gone with our big group, as we usually get a chance to go further afield while the kids are picked up from ski school by one of the others, but with it just being the 3 of us, we know we won't. Wee one won't go into ski school either, as he really didn't enjoy it at New Year (ESF Belle Plagne). We don't mind as this is an extra holiday, happy that he's done his ski school stint for the year (he gets dry slope lessons as well), but hoping he goes back to ski school next year (will look for an English company though next time I think, ESF was just too large, and I think he got a bit freaked out when the teacher couldn't hear him at the back). Although hoping that he maybe get friendly with some of the kids in the hotel (may not be many as it's term time), and hoping they are enjoying their ski lessons and it rubs off a bit. As for the childcare, do you know if it is bookable on a daily basis at the resort? We don't want to put him in it all week, but I know he's probably be happy to have a day off or an afternoon when he's getting a bit tired, and would be great if we were able to get him into the kids club for an afternoon, as know he'd probably love it.

Really looking forward to it, just hoping for some top up snow and then sunshine!! (some of us want it all wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gilly28 - I just thought I should mention there is a very good international ski school in Montgenevre - Apeak. They have very small group sizes and on the last day they do a yeti hunt Laughing My daughter had lessons with them when she had just turned 5 and there were only 4 in her group. I think the maximum group size is 6 at that age. It might be a bit of a rush for you to get over to the Apeak meeting point for the morning lessons (start at 9:45) but maybe your son could do lunchtime or afternoon lessons with them or have a couple of private lessons (my children preferred small group to private at this age).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes childcare was bookable in resort on a daily basis, also dont forget pyjama club - if you want a quick drink in the evening - its very popular especially with kids.

The ski school in claviere take out groups of all ages ( if you book woth crystal just for kids - then its only kids ) - but if you go as a family they can / will let you all have lessons together ( which might be an option ) - The all kids crystal groups were great fun, and again i never saw an unhappy kid wink.

i recall that private lessons for 3 for a week privately worked out about the same as big groups with crystal for the same number.

based on our 7 year old and his ski ability this / last year. I would think that you will be able to get yours up the the bottom chair ( farthest one in claviere from the hotel ) - take this to the top, ski down to the next lift ( top part blue run 91) ( this is at the top of the blue run down to claviere(91 ) - and take that lift up

suggest that you get OFF at the MIDDLE station, turn off to the right on a flattish small run amongst trees ( runs 94/ and bottom of 95) - there is a red run ( actually 2-3) and a red/blue that go down to the right - if you take the left most run its a bit easier ( the other one is steep at the top ) - these all run down to another lift - there are EASY & HARD ways to approach this down to the bottom ( Its worth a run down by one of the adults first ) to decide - this lift goes straight back up to the top again - ( it meets up with the lift you have just got off in the middle of) .

so you can either go right back up to the top and then ski down the reds ( 93/95/97) from the top - or you can take the blue run ( 100) that goes through the trees - its great for kids bit a biit too narrow for my liking as an adult - think its the bridleway in the summer !! - this takes you back to the top of the first lift again and you can repeat this all day - because of the intertwined reds/ blues - you can switch about so it looks like its not the same run each time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowymum, Gazza Yes I've seen Apeak mentioned, perhaps by yourself. I might look into it, as that is the kind of lesson I want to try for him next, but at the moment he is just so against it! I have even tried the angle - lessons together - still a no way! We'll see how it goes, last year in Pila, there was no ski school (end of season) so we booked him a private, and he was really against it, said he could ski, so we ended up going with him - he's not a quiet boy, goes into any clubs etc, can leave him with anyone normally-he still wasn't keen. So we just skied together the rest of the week, but he started being a bit cocky jumping etc, and my heart was in my mouth, so told him if he wants to do that he has to do it with an instructor, and he did go with some reluctance on another private lesson, enjoyed it, but still wasn't desperate to go again. We will suss it out when there, and see if we can coax him, would like him to get into a lesson he loves (he loves his groups at dry slope), so that it changes his mind about them. It didn't help at NY as he was getting over a virus, so was very tired, it was snowy and cold, his previous 2 holidays had been in glorious sunshine! I think the whiteout conditions at times may have spooked him. I really thought he'd love it as our friends 2 girls were in the class also, although their younger one the same age as ours was harder to get into them each day, once in she was fine, whereas ours wasn't so bad going in, but instructor said he cried most of it each day!

gazza2, Fab news re being able to book childcare in resort, I know we will definately make use of that, as he will love it also, and the pyjama club- need to make the most of that free wine and beer!! Thanks for the tips of good runs to do with him. He's passed his Flocon level on ESF if that helps define his level for you?

I noticed on the webcam today it looked like snow, so fingers crossed!
snow report
Can support the recommendation for Apeak in Montgenevre - if you're interested email them an enquiry they are very good at getting back to you and very accommodating.

I would go for the Monts de Lune pass - there is more scope of easier runs on the Montgenevre side and will give you plenty to go at. Think the Via Lattea pass would be a waste, it really is a bit of a troll over to the SanSicario/ Sestriere bit and can't see you doing it with a youngster.

I would think it's about 20 mins to half an hour on the bus to Briancon depending on road conditions - done it on a coach but not the public bus, but not sure you would bother as there is plenty to go at in the Montgenevre/Claviere bit and you can't do justice to Serre Chevalier in a day! You may also have quite a walk at the Briancon end to the gondola - I would save Serre Che for another holiday - its a brill area!
snow conditions
I regularly go to Claviere with school groups so hopefully can offer my thoughts.

Lift passes: You will not need the full Via Lattea, not with a little one. Not sure which passes Crystal offer, but normally you can buy a 6 day claviere pass, which covers one day in Montgenevre, or buy the monteluna pass, which covers 6 days in both clav and Monty. If there is not a huge difference in price, then I'd be tempted to get the full monteluna, which gives you more freedom to visit monty more than once. I will mention that the school kids I travel with only go over to monty once during the week and really enjoy it, but the ski there and back does add to the day, making it quite tiring.

Pistes: Claviere itself has maybe 40 - 50km of runs, but combined with Monty, with offeres maybe 110km, plenty for a week. Rest assured there is more than one blue in claviere, although not that many. As others have said, some of the reds are quite easy, so this should not really put you off. If you get the 'lower' chairlift up, there is a nice blue run, though as someone else said,this is the home run and can get moderately busy at the end of the day so avoid it then. Once up the first chair, you can get another chair higher up, either getting off at the first station to do some easy reds (94) as already mentioned (there is only one slightly steeper section near the end before it joins the 100 blue), or get off at the second station then do the blue 90 down to Sagna Longa. This blue is a very gentle road with some nice views. When you get the chair back up to Colle Bercia, you can take the reds 93/93bis all the way back to top of blue 91. These reds are wide and when the runs fork, the left forks are generally more gentle, though still possibly challenging for you little one. You may want to do a reccie first. There is another blue (98bis) from the top of the 'upper' chairlift from Claviere nursery slopes. This is a pleasant winding track through the trees, joining with blue 91 lower down.

Montgenevre: Skiing over to Monty can be challenging as there are a few steep sections. You have to go on the 'upper'chairlift and then take red 99bis, which has a steep but wide section at the top, plus a another steep section lower down. It might be worth getting a bus over to monty, if you do want to ski there from day one? Ask at the tourist office for times. Once in Monty, there are lots of nice gentle greens and blues, some through the trees. The blues on the Col A'Alpet side get the sun in the morning and are flattering and wide. The blues and greens in the Gondrans area are also good. Both of these areas are treeless though, so not best on a very windy day. The ski back to Clav on the flat green is a bit of a pole, but quite pretty.

I hope you enjoy! I am big fan of Claviere.
snow conditions
Dr George, Yes our main reason for a wee trip to Serre Che is that is was our first ski holiday, so would've been good to check it out again and see how far we've progressed, well mainly me, as my husband was on blacks there by the end of the holiday, so it's not a big deal if we cant go.

carettam, Thanks for the insight. Will keep details of the runs you mentioned. I hope to become a fan too!
snow report
question for anyone who has been to claviere. the claviere only lift pass gives access to a couple of the montgenevre lifts on top of the 1 day full access. anybody know which ones??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy