Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey, I'm 26 (will be 27 by the time I get sorted with money etc) and would really hugely appreciate some advice on where best to do my much belated first season (In all honesty would not want to be lumbered with loads of people on their gap yaaars - mainly because I don't want to be referred to as the old one) I was thinking Whistler? I know it's a pain with visas etc but once sorted does anyone know what the resort is like in terms of atmosphere etc? Or would Europe prove better? Advice would be so appreciated!!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lucewalks, At 27 you certainly won't be the old one! What sort of level skier are you, where have you skied before and where have you liked/dis-liked in the past? I did a season in the Banff area and loved it, did my instructor quals, I did teach for a while on and off after it but just won't something to give the trip focus and make me a better skier, however this was some time ago when Canada was much cheaper and would only recommend the instructor route if you have an ambition to teach others to ski, otherwise there are much cheaper ways of spending a season on the slopes.

I've limited experience at skiing in Whistler, I chose Banff at the time as there are several areas within a drive and real towns vs purpose built resort which was more appealing to me for spending a season. Whistler in terms of size is about the only NA resort that can compete with the big euro resorts in terms of size, vertical etc you also have a few other local hills which are accessible and Vancouver is a great city to vist. Depending on your language skills English speaking (in the main) Canada makes things easier but tbh you can more than get by and pick up allot in euro land.

It really depends if you plan to work to cover living costs while you're over there and if so what sort of work you'll be doing. If it were me I'd keep the money from flights and head to an area of europe ....probably.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info! Smile well while I'm not at the level of jumping out of helicopters or doing loads of off piste, I am pretty good. I wouldn't say I was amazing but definitely alright!!! I've been on and off for a few years now & have been a few places; meribel, morzine, v'al des, andora, ischgl & Breckinridge.. My French/general language skills leave a lot to be desired hence thinking of an English speaking country - plus different to what I've already experienced. I'd heard France had now got ridiculously expensive & it's really hard to find jobs - is Whistler moreso? I plan on saving a whole wack of money so I can rent my own place & afford to live while I look for work (maybe just as a receptionist or waitress something) and mainly want somewhere with a really good atmosphere, good music scene and of course beaut mountains & powder.... Where in Europe would you recommend?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lucewalks, You're correct in thinking France is expensive, although there are exceptions (someone will come along saying in resort x beer is 1 euro and spag bol 5) but main stream which is where it will be easier to get work. Accomdation is expensive and the cheaper stuff is generally very pokey. Somewhere like Bourg could be worth considering as you're in easy reach of several fine ski resorts, and it's a proper town if that appeals. Unless you're after hardcore off piste somewhere in several Austrian resorts might fit the bill, accomadation is cheap and basing yourself in somewhere like the SkiWelt, Zell am Zee, Kitzbuhel, Saalbach area would give you masses of skiing to explore as would somewhere in the Ski Amade area. If you're looking more towards bar work I wouldn't worry too much language skills. As for ideas on the job front have a look on natives.com for ideas and adive (as well as here) you could go down the working for a UK tour operator route, each job has its pros and cons. I've only ever worked as an instructor when doing a season so can't really comment on the other jobs in resort. If you're interested in the off piste look towards St Anton.

You ask about Whislter specifically so I'd say the issue with Whistler is it's very popular with people like yourself from English speaking countries looking at taking a break/year out/gap year whatever you want to call it, not just with Brits, but those from Oz, NZ and so on. Accomdation is expensive, and depending on how much you can get together in saving I'd recommend getting out there as early as late September to try and have some pick of accomdation/jobs. I think the seasonal work job fares usally start to kick off around October time, it will be relatively easy to find a job but difficult to find a good job. The thing is that those there for the skiiing don't want day jobs, so night jobs in bars, restaurants are popular, washing dishes even just to get more slope time. If you plan to get yourself out there and can have 2-3 months living without working money would be a good idea IMO.

You can teach without your CASI level one in Canada but you'll be teaching groups of 5 year olds until you get it. It's not my idea of fun but some people love teaching younger kids.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Lucewalks.
Dont worry about the age thing. When I did my Instructors course in Fernie in 2008, I was 42 and by no means the oldest. Since then, I have worked 3 seasons in Canada, in a smaller resort, about 1 1/2 hours east of Vancouver. A lot of the workers on the resort were English speakers working Kitchen or lifts, but getting plenty of time to ride, and at least 10-12 per year went on to get their CSIA or CASI qualifications, without having to do a gap year.
Either way , I`ve never come across anyone who regreted doing a season in Canada, so go for it and have a great time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy