Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth getting skis for use in a snow dome?

Poster: A snowHead
Just exporing an idea here and wondered if anyone had any thoughts please:

I am toying with idea of monthly snow dome visits this year. I know I can always use the hire skis and it wouldn't cost any more, but I was wondering whether it would worth getting something for dedicated Snow dome use.

Pros

I wouldn't have to wait for a set to be sorted out me each time I visit
I could get the ones I wanted at the length I fancy (perhaps get some similar in characteristics to my holiday skis which I don't want to use as the artificial snow isn't good for the bases)
Hopefully I could pick up something second hand on SH's that would fit the bill for reasonable cash outlay

Cons
I'd have to service them or get them serviced

So the questions that arise:

Is this idea worth pursuing?
What is the minimum service kit I'd need here to occasionally dump some wax on the bases and doctor the edges and what would this cost (I've done a spyderjon course in the past so it should be possible for me to have a bash at it)
Has anyone any suggestions of similar skis that I might be able to pick-up el cheapo with similar characteristics to what I am on please. They wouldn't have to be lookers - I'm looking for something functional with enough edge left for occasional sharpening if necessary. I'd be looking for something around the same length and skiing characteristics, but don't know what would be classed as similar to look out for - this often seems to be an area where SH's excel. I'm currently on a set of these http://www.skipressworld.com/en/index.php/05elanmagfire78tifusion-9.html Elan Magfire 78 Ti in a 168cm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why don't you want to just use the Elans, the bases aren't damaged that much are they?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, I am given to understand that artificial snow isn't good for the bases (burns them???) - though I've no real idea on that, and at the moment I often don't keep them here as they are serviced within a whisker of their lives at my ski servicing centre wink Toofy Grin in Manchester. I was therefore considering a slightly more cheap and cheerful approach to ski ownership and servicing that I could possibly manage down here.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 1-03-12 13:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the hire skis are of a similar standard to Tamworth's certainly worth it! Love my Elan skis bought mostly for snowdome skiing (mine are speedwave 11s). Skiwear4less usually seem to have a selection of Elans in stock.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt, You can get better skis at Tamworth if you ask nicely for ones with edges. It has worked for me the last few times I have been. They do try to keep them maintained.

I have noticed that fridge snow rips wax off, but other than that it doesn't seem to do much harm to decent skis. Dry slopes, on the other hand, seem to take edges off very rapidly.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, Yep have done that occasionally but have also had times when they haven't had any ones with edges left. Tend to cold wax our skis every couple of visits and get them done properly a couple of times a year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, relegate your current skis to snowdome useage (and if you have another trip planned this year) and buy new skis in the sale for next year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use your Elans and learn to wax them with a hard wax, they will be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't bother waxing them! keep em sharp yes!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You'd have a rubbish time in a snowdome without them
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:

I'd go a bit further and say buy a full kit so you can edge and wax them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:

^^^^^ this. I think Megamum you may be confusing dry slope with artificial snow when you are thinking about damage to the bases??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
Colin B, I am given to understand that artificial snow isn't good for the bases (burns them???)

Dry slopes yes, fridges no. Just use your normal skis, they'll be fine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, sarah, clarky999, [all] it would certainly be cheaper to use the elans that I have.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
it would certainly be cheaper to use the elans that I have.

And,as they are your 'proper' skis,would also make more sense.The problem you are talking about,is that the artificial stuff is more abrasive,and strips normal waxes off quicker.Two possible solutions....wax more often(every trip),or use a hard wax like Polar X.Polar will last longer,but is a bitch to scrape Mad
When I used to go to Tamworth regulary,I used to do a quick wax prior,and didn't bother scraping.The dome ice will soon polish the bases wink
Don't worry too much about the edges,they wont wear any quicker than any other skiing.
snow conditions
Yep we tend to do what snowskisnow, says. Rub on wax every trip or two and occasional services.
latest report
For the amount of money you will spend getting to snowdomes, paying admission, spending on catering etc etc per hour, you will get a couple, if not more, cheeky long weekends away on the real stuff. Even better if some of your snowHead friends give you free or heavily discounted accom.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy