Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Kaprun 3rd-10th March 12

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests I have a last minute option for a week in either of the 2 resorts. Does anyone have advice on which I should choose, mainly in respect of snow conditions.
I would prefer Saalbach but wonder if this late in the season Kaprun would be a better bet given the glacier?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go with Kaprun. Saalbach has better Apres ski but looks a bit too warm lower down. Much of Kaprun's skiing is above Saalbachs highest peak.

http://www.bergfex.at/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go to Saalbach. Bigger area and better lifts than Kaprun. We've skied it in +10°c, rain and a lot less snow. Piste maintainance was excellent and nearly everything open. Was icy in the mornings and soft in the afternoon which is going to be the same for most places in march in this weather. Kaprun's own skiing is a little out of town, 900 - 1600 metres and about 15km if that. Saalbach 1000 - 2000m and 200km. Together with the Kitzsteinhorn glacier Kaprun has 40km and the glacier area is a bit boring. Zell am See would be better skiing wise if you want to go to the glacier as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

mainly in respect of snow conditions

oops! sorta missed that. The best conditions are to be found on the upper slopes of the Kitzsteinhorn glacier Toofy Grin

Would still vote for Saalbach though. A big area on both sides of the valley means more chance of finding good conditions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach. Great place and snow should be still good next week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
to get cold next week, so Saalbach should be OK?? To get to the Kaprun glacier is a bit of pain from Kaprun village
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On snow quality alone I'd still say Kaprun but as others have said - Saalbach is much bigger and the lifts are easier to get to. Although Saalbach is around 9 deg C at the bottom lift during the day now it should be around freezing next week and below freezing overnight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i LOVE Kaprun, but i have skiid both in warm March weather and i would go for Saalbach
We skiid it about 5 years ago in March when the snow didnt even get down to Mid-station, but 2 of us skiing fast managed 3 days of really good skiing
KAprun you are pretty much forced to ski on the glacier with everyone else when it's warm, and Zell just seems to be slush even in January Sad
And Saalbach defintely has better APres
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd only chosse Kaprun over Saalbach if it had been a bad snow year and it hasn't.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy