Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Austria ...... stopover suggestions please?

Poster: A snowHead
We have now decided to drive out to see our son in Wildschonau. Having failed to find a Fri to Fri flight/car hire from the South West.

The suggested route is:

CALAIS to LILLE (A25/E42)

LILLE to MONS (E42)

MONS to NAMUR (E19)

NAMUR to LUXEMBOURG (E411)
Fill tank at the first services on the motorway when you drive into Luxembourg.

Follow signs to Sarrbrucken (A13) and continue past NEUNKIRCHEN (ACool

Then on A8 toward PIRMASENS turning off motorway onto A10 main road signed PIRMASENS and LANDAU and travel on toward KARLSRUHE. Join the A8 motorway after about 40km

KARLSRUHE to STUTTGART (ACool

STUTTGART to MUNICH (ACool

MUNICH to WORGL (A8/12)

We would leave South Wales mid morning on a Thursday and Cross by the tunnel at (say) 4.00pm. We would like to travel for about 4 hours the other side so would need to know where we would stay (pre booked travelodge type place)

Return we would like to be about 2 hours from Calais.

I know a lot of the French stopovers (to Flaine and Arc 1950) but have never driven to Austria. When son goes down at start of season they drive through the night in turns so they are no help! Have any Snowheads any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Double post Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-03-12 12:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like the Ibis in Luxembourg Sud (where we are staying next Friday) might suit you well
http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-5587-ibis-luxembourg-sud/index.shtml
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And dont refuel at the service station come off at Mondorf Les bains south of Luxemburg before you hit Germany.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I have done that route I have stopped at one of the French chain hotels in Lille, not as far as you wanted to get but it hasn't been too late when I got to Austria.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alun Williams,

Easyjet fly to Innsbruck from Bristol on Fridays (winter). You can rent a car from Innsbruck airport.

Have you looked at that option?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alun, That's the way we go. Doesn't really matter where you fill up in Luxembourg, there are a few places a little cheaper than the motorway services, but I've not found it worth the effort.

We have done a variant dropping into france just south of Luxembourg/Saarbrucken, which gives you the option of quite a few cheap hotels in the Metz/Strasbourg corridor.

And say hello to Ian. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stopped at a cheap and cheerful Premiereclasse Hotel on my last journey south. Stayed at one south of Luxemborg in France Thionville, Only cost 33 euros for a room...double and single (single is actually above the double like a bunk bed type). Breakfast is 4 euros. I find the premiereclass hotels ideal for us, just somewhere to put your head down for the night, tv in the room, with cubicle shower/toilet.
latest report
 cran
cran
Not worth bothering to look for non motorway services in Luxembourg imo
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This would have been good .... if we were not so close to flight date. The costs have rocketed (with luggage and skis) + car hire (and I couldn't find car hire with snow tyres included!
Quote:

Easyjet fly to Innsbruck from Bristol on Fridays (winter). You can rent a car from Innsbruck airport.

Have you looked at that option?

And that's another problem with the plane. Ian has asked us to bring out King Edward potatoes, Cadog Cheddar etc ........ on Easyjet!!!
Quote:

And say hello to Ian.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Share the driving and drive straight through Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alun Williams, Major roadworks between Stuttgart and Munich. Contraflow, lane narrowing etc.... signposted through to 2015! Shocked
On the return trip, the following Saturday, we noticed the queues mid morning travelling towards Munich (near the roadworks) from Stuttgart were horrendous! 20 miles + of queues!
We ran a similar route to the one you suggested on a Friday and arrived in Munich Friday evening. We overnighted in Munich and did the final part on Saturday morning. Queues between Munich and Austrian border were also bad but may have been due to the bad weather.
Avoid buying anything on the Mway services between Munich and Austria, their prices are a micky take.
Good luck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

And that's another problem with the plane. Ian has asked us to bring out King Edward potatoes, Cadog Cheddar etc

Cheesy chips on the menu then! Smile

I was caught up on the Stuttgart - Munich contraflow a couple of years ago, it was horrendous then. I can't imagine why it should go on to 2015 (although it is a long stretch of roadworks). I thought the Germans were meant to be efficient!

I would seriously try to avoid this - any suggestions people??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone tell me roughly where these roadworks are on the Stuttgart to Munich autobahn? As travelling to Oberstdorf end of the year taking Stuttgart to Munich road as far as Ulm then heading south on the route 7. Are the roadworks before this or after?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If only I was a good passenger!
Quote:

Share the driving and drive straight through

[quote]

Quote:

FraserP

zellmaniac, zellmaniac,
Quote:

zellmaniac

I'll see how this develops but must admit I had been looking at flying in to Salzburg. Innsbruck/Friday is not as pricey as I thought (so many thanks). Is Easyjet Car Hire a recommendation ?
snow report
Alun Williams,

I'll be on the flight 9th March. When are you planning to go?

Generally I find that Easyjet/Ryanair car hire is rather expensive. I've never hired a car from Innsbruck - I usually catch the train. The train is cheaper unless you have a large party.

Try Moneysupermarket.com to compare car hire rates.

Good luck!
latest report
I've done the journey a few times (along with friends and guests too...)
from Calais I have always gone A18 into Belgium and then A10 and chase it down via Luxemburg or not... just saves on a toll mainly... never done it the other way (as posted) so can't directly compare.
snow conditions
flangesax, The A25 (as posted) from Calais via dunkerque to Lille isn't tolled. I've done the direct into Belguim route too, and there is very very little difference.
ski holidays
Simon94 wrote:
Can anyone tell me roughly where these roadworks are on the Stuttgart to Munich autobahn? As travelling to Oberstdorf end of the year taking Stuttgart to Munich road as far as Ulm then heading south on the route 7. Are the roadworks before this or after?

Blimey, I only did this route a couple of weeks ago and I can't remember Embarassed From recollection the drive from Stuttgart towards Kempten was clear all the way. There were some roadworks at some point but no reduction in number of lanes so it slowed down but nothing to worry about.
snow report
RobW, ta Rob... I'll probably do that next time as I think it is a little shorter.
ski holidays
You can avoid the roadworks between Stuttgart and Ulm by staying on the A6. The "horrific queues" FraserP mentions were due to half of the Netherlands and all of Bavaria, Saarland and a couple of other Bundesländer starting their Half Term holiday. Plus all the Faschins-Muffels from the Rhineland areas buggering off for a long weekend to get away from all the silliness that Carnival brings out. The second half of the Netherlands goes home this weekend and then it should be reasonably quiet on the roads until Easter.

Alun Williams, If you are driving at night the trip across from Pirmasens via the B10 can be rather tiresome. It is great in good weather and daylight though. I tend to stick to the motorways by switching to the A6 at Neukirchen and listening to the road reports as to what is happening around Karlsruhe and Stuttgart. It gives me the option to stay on the A6 to Heilbronn if the traffic between Karlruhe and Pforzheim is bad, then I go down the A81 to Stuttgart, or if traffic is really bad, I continue along the A6 until it hits the A7 then I turn down the A7 to Ulm picking up the A8 at Ulm. I have lots of workarounds and different routes I play with as I really get ratty in the traffic jams and as I'm usually alone, it is not the best way to try to complete my journey.

Do you have a sat-nav that will give you traffic reports if you cannot understand the German ones? The radio reports are excellent and go out on the radio stations straight after the news on the hour and half hour. The best station for the western part of your journey is SWR3 and for the Bavarian section (after Ulm) the best one is Antenne Bayern. Both stations play a lot of classic rock/pop and little or no funny stuff like rap or whatever crap is played on BBC Radio 1 these days.

The reason the roadworks are taking so long is that a) they are being done properly and b) they are widening one of the busiest sections of roads in Europe without closing it. As they cannot work in the worst of the winter weather, it does tend to slow things down a bit. the rather large hills and deep vqallies also make it a wee bit of an engineering marathon. I don't think the M25 for example has ever been roadwork free since it's inception. And the widening of the M5 Birmingham to Gloucester also took more than a few months!

Freddie Paellahead's suggestion of the Ibis at Luxembourg-Sud is a good idea. Dropping off the motorway to look for a cent or maybe 2 cents is really not worth it. At Mondorf les Bains everything shuts up after 8pm anyway, I know I tried to get fuel for my car there and my friends who lived there at the time directed me to a service station on the motorway near the airport!

When are you actually coming down our way then?

wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
You can avoid the roadworks between Stuttgart and Ulm by staying on the A6. The "horrific queues" FraserP mentions were due to half of the Netherlands and all of Bavaria, Saarland and a couple of other Bundesländer starting their Half Term holiday. Plus all the Faschins-Muffels from the Rhineland areas buggering off for a long weekend to get away from all the silliness that Carnival brings out. The second half of the Netherlands goes home this weekend and then it should be reasonably quiet on the roads until Easter.

Alun Williams, If you are driving at night the trip across from Pirmasens via the B10 can be rather tiresome. It is great in good weather and daylight though. I tend to stick to the motorways by switching to the A6 at Neukirchen and listening to the road reports as to what is happening around Karlsruhe and Stuttgart. It gives me the option to stay on the A6 to Heilbronn if the traffic between Karlruhe and Pforzheim is bad, then I go down the A81 to Stuttgart, or if traffic is really bad, I continue along the A6 until it hits the A7 then I turn down the A7 to Ulm picking up the A8 at Ulm. I have lots of workarounds and different routes I play with as I really get ratty in the traffic jams and as I'm usually alone, it is not the best way to try to complete my journey.

Do you have a sat-nav that will give you traffic reports if you cannot understand the German ones? The radio reports are excellent and go out on the radio stations straight after the news on the hour and half hour. The best station for the western part of your journey is SWR3 and for the Bavarian section (after Ulm) the best one is Antenne Bayern. Both stations play a lot of classic rock/pop and little or no funny stuff like rap or whatever crap is played on BBC Radio 1 these days.

The reason the roadworks are taking so long is that a) they are being done properly and b) they are widening one of the busiest sections of roads in Europe without closing it. As they cannot work in the worst of the winter weather, it does tend to slow things down a bit. the rather large hills and deep vqallies also make it a wee bit of an engineering marathon. I don't think the M25 for example has ever been roadwork free since it's inception. And the widening of the M5 Birmingham to Gloucester also took more than a few months!

Freddie Paellahead's suggestion of the Ibis at Luxembourg-Sud is a good idea. Dropping off the motorway to look for a cent or maybe 2 cents is really not worth it. At Mondorf les Bains everything shuts up after 8pm anyway, I know I tried to get fuel for my car there and my friends who lived there at the time directed me to a service station on the motorway near the airport!

When are you actually coming down our way then?

wink
Wow! Now I'm getting a feel for it! We are thinking of next week .... Leaving here on Thursday.

I remember the Gloucester/Birmingham drive well ... every Friday for years.

Our radio/listening is mostly stacked up editions of "The Archers Omnibus" and lots of Radio 4 Extra comedies burnt to disk or (maybe) this time transferred to an MP3 player. Yes THAT sad!!! It's not the same since we finished the audio disk Harry Potters. One each trip to S France for years!

I'm guessing an 11 hour drive the other side so all being well 3 Thursday and 8 Friday ?

Waiting for the garage to ring me back with a price for Snow Tyres as it seems the fines are huge?

Skiing forecast on BBC 1 tonight after Andrew Neil but it's next weeks that will be important for us. My screen saver (main street Arc 1950) continues to look great and I'm waiting for a reply from Darren Kearns re availability on the first week of Easter school holidays.
snow report
We are going to try the Stuttgart flight this May,is there a pleasant/scenic alternative route worth doing to Salzburg other than the motorways round Munich ?
We land early so have all day to get to Salzburg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's not the same since we finished the audio disk Harry Potters. One each trip to S France for years!

I now listen to them in French or Italian - they've not all been recorded, but they last me forever as I have to listen over and over again, especially to the Italian ones, to get the gist.

I downloaded a lot of BBC podcasts for our last trip, but I managed to mess up the labelling. So I'd put on something labelled "Bannockburn" and then find it was a R3 programme about a slightly obscure composer.

I do listen to the 107.7 French Autoroute info, if things look likely to be difficult, but the music is so dire it's painful.
ski holidays
Alun Williams, Check the forecast. If snow is not predicted you probably don't need winter tyres. General opinion earlier this year was if you only have summer tyres+snowchains you'll be okay most of the time: and even if you are caught you only be turned back. The real b*gg*r is if you have an accident when they are very likely to throw the book at you.

Your call.
ski holidays
zellmaniac wrote:
I was caught up on the Stuttgart - Munich contraflow a couple of years ago, it was horrendous then. I can't imagine why it should go on to 2015 (although it is a long stretch of roadworks). I thought the Germans were meant to be efficient?

We found it much better this year than last. Roadworks stretches were definately shorter.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 2-03-12 10:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
immer schuss, there is a very beautiful and fun driving route along the foot of the mountains which you can get to by going south from Munich first. The route is quite complex and will add sometime as well as distance, but if you are not in a hurry it can be fantastic in the right weather. Part of it actually passes through my community and if traffic is bad on the autobahn in summer it is my route to and from Munich. Real problems arise when you reach the Chiemgau area because the Chiemsee is a big "obstacle" albeit a very beautiful one! going south into the mountains is one way but going north around it really puts you into the wild and woolly sticks of "hill-billy country" Laughing
snow conditions
Official Austrian site says chains are OK: http://www.austria.info/us/plan-your-trip/driving-regulations-in-austria-1084578.html

Whether the Austrian police care much, I don't know....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zellmaniac, I have now altered my thoughts (as I now need to be back on the 16th) and for this trip will be on same Easyjet flight as you (then car hire for the week) but will still be driving at the end of season to pick all of Ian's gear up and cross for a family week in Arc 1950.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
ski holidays
michael stocking, That is a bad and simplistic translation of the legislation. You can only use chains when there is snow on the roads. If you do not have winter suitable tyres on your vehicle and you are involved in an accident, you are liable and your insurer will most likely NOT pay up.
snow report
One way to avoid the roadworks is head across to Aachen then straight down to Munchen via Frankfurt, it also passes a good overnight stop at the border by Aachen in an Etap hotel. It's about 4 hours to Aachen (less if you put your foot down)
snow report
robapplegate, That's a huge diversion and the stretch of the A3 between Frankfurt and Würzburg is notorious for jams on normal days, let alone changeover Saturdays! As is the junction of the A3/A9 where traffic coming from the North-West meets up with all the traffic from the North and North-East. Yes the A9 is six lane highway, but it has an enormous volume of traffic that all funnels down into the A99 around Munich. The delays sometimes stretch from Munich South back to the Munich East motorway junction with stop-go traffic from Munich North. At least coming from the west you have a number of easier options to by-pass some of these potential hold-ups.

If you have travel on a weekend, then be prepared for delays unless you are flexible in your routing and your timings. There will never be a perfect trip with no jams unless you take this onboard. This morning I woke up at 07.00am to my radio reporting 10kms of jam from Munich South towards the mountains. By mid-morning, the A93 was 17kms of stationary traffic in both directions. The A8 was stop-go or stationary going west for most of the morning and afternoon as half of the Netherlands returned home. The outward traffic along the A8 was a mixture of day trip skiers, spectators for the World Biathlon Championships at Ruhpolding as well as people going on their holidays now the main high season is over.

As I drove home from skiing last night there was a 15km jam between Munich South and the Irschenberg due to a multi-vehicle accident and a broken down HGV on the climb up to the summit. That was just normal Friday night commuter and weekender traffic. poo-poo happens, you can never be sure that your route will be perfect. The only thing you can do is keep your options open and plan accordingly.
ski holidays
We stayed here:

ETAP HOTEL Muenchen Sued Ost Putzbrunn

Tel : (+49)896884870
Michael-Haslbeck Strasse 20 - 85640 PUTZBRUNN

If that's any use to anyone.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,
Southern Munich Route.
Thanks,that sounds interesting,could you give me the towns/villages to aim for and we will probably give it a go !
We are trying the Birmingham flight option see,so if the other end is slightly more scenic than our A14 to Stansted, its a winner ! Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
immer schuss, PM on its way tomorrow. Too late and too much wine to be sensible Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Did the route twice this year, 12 hours or less Calais to mayrhofen, no major problems and avoids that confusion around Pirmasens , especially when the motorway just stops and turns into a double roundabout. Only problem was getting out of Austria but that had nothing to do with Munchen.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,
I have that route now,B472 then back to A8 for last bit into Salzburg, google says about 4.5 hrs so that sounds great,
Will defo give it a go.....thanks a lot !
ski holidays
immer schuss, I'll give you my phone number by PM so if you fancy a coffee and I'm around, stop by for a mug and some cake on the house! I'm on the route if you continue beyond Miesbach and only a couple of kilometres oop t'hill if you are on the A8. I have a service area and an exit named in my honour wink Laughing Laughing so you get loads of warning!

snowHead
snow report
Samerberg Sue,
Thanks ! Please send me the number,we are coming in early May so we will try and call in ! Very Happy
snow report
immer schuss, will do! Hopefully you will be coming through on a day that I am at home! I work away from home 3 days a week (Mondays through to Wednesdays) but can opt to work from home if I want to as well.

Send me a reminder nearer the date please, the memory is not what it used to be wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy