Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring in mid April

Poster: A snowHead
Is it too late in the year to plan on a weeks touring in the 3V's. hoping to get in some 1000 metre D+- days

going to morzine tomorrow to do some tours but looks to be so warm that we may be thwarted and i am now doubting if mid April is a good idea.... any thoughts from the residents ski tourers....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, cursed I say. CURSED!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni, starting to think that wrt touring !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

going to morzine tomorrow to do some tours but looks to be so warm that we may be thwarted and i am now doubting if mid April is a good idea..

several weather systems will have floated through before mid-April. Best make plans for mid April shortly before mid April..... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, mid-April - no worries!

Bit busy for the next 3 weeks but drop me an email closer to the time for some ideas..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, prime touring season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Up early. Tour. Back for a beer in the afternoon sunshine. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing, will do, (had a couple tours planned from your suggestions out of Mottaret for last month but weather didnt cooperate)

Arno, hope so !! just was concerned that a long day will be too soft to get the amount of "up " i need to get in...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Arno, hope so !! just was concerned that a long day will be too soft to get the amount of "up " i need to get in...

On warm days you need to be up and out early (e.g. up at 5:00 skinning up at 06:00). Last year I did a tour with English friends and it was really warm it was the warmest April for years. I wanted to be on the go for 6:00 am but they wanted a drink the night before and breakfast at 7 ("we are on holiday"). All the other tourers were long gone before we even got up. Other tourers skinned up frozen slopes in the morning and skied down firn (soft snow) around mid Day. (which works out at 300m / hour circa 4 to 5 hours, with up to 1 hour for lunch and drink breaks). We were above our knees in slush and had to turn back, I ended up setting off a wet avalanche. rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
what DB says

it's a bit miserable getting up at 4.30/5am but once you get going it's fine. you also get two wonderful experiences:

1. being out in the backcountry as the sun rises
2. skiing back down to the green valley, having a beer and lunch then snoozing in the sun all afternoon Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
it's a bit miserable getting up at 4.30/5am but once you get going it's fine.

skimottaret, good luck with negotiations with MrsFS!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmmmm waking up at 430 and then skinning uphill on rock hard frozen slopes for 5 hours, then skiing slush whats not to like about that Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is what happens if you don't get up early:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76044

skimottaret, are you planning on day trips or a tour?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, yeah - this really sucks:

Leaving Refuge Adele Planchard by Scoz, on Flickr

IMG_0836 by Scoz, on Flickr

Untitled by Scoz, on Flickr

IMG_0833 by Scoz, on Flickr
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, fab write up and confirms a lot of my suspicions... just day trips for me.. adding sleeping at altitude on the floor in a refuge to the above sounds like just way too much fun for me.... snowHead
ski holidays
I've never had to sleep on the floor in a hut. We usually end up kipping alongside each other in a big wide bed - with a foam matress and blankets (take your own sleeping bag liner). The chorus of snoring is the biggest problem!

Toilet arrangements can range from variable to primitive though. The funniest was somewhere in the Pyrenees that just had a big long slopeing pipe. Unfortunately, the wind was in the wrong direction and the toilet paper kept blowing back at me!
latest report
In Morzine at the moment and was hoping to get in three big tours.. very warm and even an early start wouldnt have worked so we binned all touring avi risk 4. virtually all south facing slopes have slipped and lots of fresh web slabs on all slope aspects.... way too warm and no overnight refreeze , the whole thing just seemed too sketchy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy