Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The English and their big fat skis

Poster: A snowHead
flangesax wrote:
davidof, watch the vid I posted... all makes sense then Wink

The guy in blue is ripping the pow pretty much like he would ski anywhere - although he has a big rucksack which is not helping. The bloke in red... well just the kind of punter who needs fat skis, or lessons. Far too much upper body movement. Laughing

Didier Defaggot's problem is that he doesn't have the technique for that line. I bet one of the freeriders could have charged his skis straight down the face if they'd bothered.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B wrote:
It was Defago and they certainly weren't fat skis!

Ok, just for comparison, I'd like to see any of the top FWT guys (who didn't have a previous WC pedigree) ski an alpine race - it would be interesting to compare.

Or see Defago on more "appropriate" equipment after 10 runs...Ooops hadn't got to the Mancuso segment. I think that makes my point.

I see loads of people on needlessly wide skis - and if you're a 1-2 week average holiday skier it's relatively daft to own such things.

But we all know I am something of a humbug...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting thread. Am siting in my kitchen with Jeremy Nobis reading this and smiling. We both agree that too many people get hung up on girth. It's about what makes you smile.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Colin B wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/qkwKon4mxy8

Ok, just for comparison, I'd like to see any of the top FWT guys (who didn't have a previous WC pedigree) ski an alpine race - it would be interesting to compare.

On fat skis

Quote:

Or see Defago on more "appropriate" equipment after 10 runs...

He skied the bottom part fine but the upper part he looked like a ski tourer !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do wonder how many Brits buy big wide skis and then end up skiing on the piste most of the time with the occasional foray into the bits on the side of the piste. I can't see it doing much good for their skiing technique. I'd imagine in many cases the money would have been better spent on lessons than equipment. Suppose it's cooler at Apres Ski to talk about being a gnarly offpiste skier rather than "I had a ski lesson today". A lot to be said for mastering a skill rather than buying a crutch. People can ski whatever makes them happy but I'd guess in the long run many would be happier to be able to ski all tyres of terrain on one pair of skis, especially with the cost of ski carriage these days.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 1-03-12 9:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I notice many people refer to wider skis at a Crutch. Doe's that mean on piste a 66mm underfoot ski is a crutch?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dot.,
Quote:

It's about what makes you smile.

Took the words out of my mouth, for me, the wrong side of 50, its all about fun and the thrill of skiing, and also wider skis are not all about the width its got a huge amount to do with the sidecut and flex of the ski thats makes it so much fun.

When I started skiing in 1978 my first skis were 170 and fat underfoot Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski in a few places over a few seasons and you see it all, or almost all:

- instructors skiing circles around you offpiste, on 70-mm waisted skis
- guides and instructors ripping the pow on 115mm rocker skis
- guides effortlessly gliding on some lighter-than-air-and-about-as-toughly-built TRABs or Dynafits
- "punters" shredding the gnar on fat skis
- other punters awkwardly muscling their way down easy offpiste terrain on some fatties
- yet other punters sideslipping the pistes on their wide skis (I include myself here - I don't own anything below 93mm waist and I can't be bothered to rent piste skis on the family holiday
- ...maybe not so many holiday skiers attempting the offpiste on anything below 80-90mm anymore...

The only important thing is most of them have a huge smile on their face.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dot. wrote:
I notice many people refer to wider skis at a Crutch. Doe's that mean on piste a 66mm underfoot ski is a crutch?

As I see it - they are the right tools for the job. If they were skiing offpiste most of the time a wider ski would be the correct tool.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
Dot. wrote:

As I see it - they are the right tools for the job. If they were skiing offpiste most of the time a wider ski would be the correct tool.

Agree, like a wider ski it the correct tool for the job off piste rather than a crutch.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:

Hey ! I resemble that comment snowHead

Would like to see the others ski on the same type of skis as him though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dot. wrote:
DB wrote:
Dot. wrote:

Agree, like a wider ski it the correct tool for the job off piste rather than a crutch.

Yes for most offpiste skiers it's the right tool and people can ski what they want anyway. For those who hardly ski offpiste and couldn't remain upright for more than a couple of turns without wide skis they are a crutch. Trying powder for the first time I struggled like hell on a pair of 74mm wide skis but then grabbed a pair of pocket rockets and got some offpiste instruction. If I had just stuck with the pocket rockets without instruction I doubt I would be having as much fun as I am these days skiing circa 90mm wide skis.

Ski pros have it so easy these days ..... wink

http://youtube.com/v/kJdyPZPcRYU
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
davidof wrote:

Hey ! I resemble that comment snowHead

Would like to see the others ski on the same type of skis as him though.

Did you see what the skis were, some kind of orange Volkl thingies?

I always remember someone asking Andrew McLean why he didn't take more films when ski touring and replied something like "seeing ski tourers billy goating their way down steep pitches is not videogenic"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky wrote:
clarky999, we skied a few runs with wife of the the lift operator in Zauchensee, she must have been at least 65, and she was shredding the powder on a pair of Bent Chetlers, no joke, Admin and Timberwolf were with me so can confirm this, that lady put the G in GNAR Madeye-Smiley

and she was pretty hot Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Did you see what the skis were, some kind of orange Volkl thingies?

They have FIS WC Rossignol on them so look like proper race skis to me. I'm unsure how much of the "sub-optimal performance" is down to having race skis and how much is down to his lower level of experience in steep offpiste skiing under variable conditions.

davidof wrote:
I always remember someone asking Andrew McLean why he didn't take more films when ski touring and replied something like "seeing ski tourers billy goating their way down steep pitches is not videogenic"

Yes the ski scenes in Mt St Elias hardly got the juices flowing, but hey if we wanted it easy we would have a helicopter taxi us about and only use big skis like a Ski Pro. wink Billy goats have fun too Toofy Grin
snow report
Timberwolf, In a skiing sense? wink
snow report
Colin B, errrrrrr.....yes, that's right...exactly that.......in no other way......that's what i meant.....that right there.....

awwww, hell, who am I trying to kid Cool
latest report
Quote:

If people spent more time on their technique and less on looking the part there skiing would be more fun.

Fattes13, or would it. Live and let live I reckon.
latest report
Dot. wrote:

Yeah what's with all these metal edges and using two poles! Nowt wrong with a nothing but a bit of birch under a mans feet and a big stick to help you balance and clout the undeserving with. In my day we skied uphill both ways!
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
Am siting in my kitchen with Jeremy Nobis reading this and smiling.

CLANG......................'scuse me, did someone drop this name?? wink
snow conditions
Timberwolf wrote:
Colin B, errrrrrr.....yes, that's right...exactly that.......in no other way......that's what i meant.....that right there.....

awwww, hell, who am I trying to kid Cool

Is this her?
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jza0255l.jpg
ski holidays
DB, Very Happy Definitely not Laughing
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Or see Defago on more "appropriate" equipment after 10 runs...Ooops hadn't got to the Mancuso segment. I think that makes my point.

That's my point... Most of them would be (relatively) terrible in a race (although lots do seem to come from a race background), Defago would have done much better on suitable skis.

Hence stupid instructors still skiing like it's the '80s and everyone wants to europonce around don't help anyone!
latest report
Look it's not a sensible comparison - take the world's top WC skiers and they represent the tiniest top percentile of skiing talent, conditioning etc. & guess what many will have grown up freeskiing the mountain. I'd suspect Mancuso adapted to FWT really easily because she grew up skiing Squaw & (I'm guessing) hanging around with people like Rahlves, McConkey, the Gaffneys etc as well as being coached by heaps of former Olympians like Tamara McKinney. Thus her schooling was on a billygoating mountain.

FWT athletes will mostly have a solid racing background somewhere down the line but others of course wouldn't be immediately competititive in the gates because its a different discipline requiring precision and ingrained habits from thousands of training runs.
latest report
Anyone who is calling Defago out from comfort of their PC has clearly never been up Bec De Rosses (fall and you die terrain).
He skied a chopped-up 55 degree face very well, and most importantly safely. End of discussion.

For sure - wide skis are awesome, and make off piste more accessible.
These days any 'back seat chalet girl / brit' can ski powder and think they are pretty cool Laughing
However can they also ski moguls, breakable crust or ice all over the mountain what ever the conditions ?

110% it is the skier, not the tools, that is the most important factor.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 1-03-12 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Anyone who is calling Defago out from comfort of their PC has clearly never been up Bec De Rosses (fall and you die terrain).
He skied it well <end>.

Not what I meant...
snow report
Not sure I'd want to face a steep, narrow couloir on Whitedots. Fine for big, open slopes, I imagine.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:

These days any 'back seat chalet girl / brit' can ski powder and think they are pretty cool Laughing

Sounds to me like its 50% tools, 50% skier then? So far as my own powder skiing is concerned, I'd say it's 90% tools, 10% skier... "go and get some lessons then" I hear you say. Well, yes, quite.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
He skied a chopped-up 55 degree face very well, and most importantly safely. End of discussion.

However can they also ski moguls, breakable crust or ice all over the mountain what ever the conditions ?

Has anyone here skied it?

http://youtube.com/v/9xyEHYtPJFE

http://youtube.com/v/I77qkAxtHJc&feature=relmfu
ski holidays
Piste To Powder in St Anton ask if you have 90+mm waisted skis before booking a lesson, and pretty much ask you to hire skis if you haven't. Presumably they feel you'll learn more if you're not wallowing and falling over every 2 minutes on GS skis.

I'd rather take a lesson with them than a xenophobic fogey from Söll...
snow conditions
DidierCouch,
Someone once rang up P2P and asked if snowblades would be OK.
ski holidays
The marketing of ski equipment & clothing in the uk is absolutely chronic. Literally half of the magazine falline skiing is a gear guide and if you actually believe the marketing then you need new skis every season just to keep up. Buying new skis to replace skis that have only been used for a few weeks is simply crazy.

But at the end of the day its all about having fun and it really doesn't matter what you are riding or the apparel you wear. Honestly I am sure that I could have a great day skiing on snowblades!
latest report
Bec des Rosses on Heart Carvers. I bet that wouldn't be fun, even for Jeremy.
http://adrianwaj.com/
snow conditions
DB, I believe Haggis Trap has, although I don't think he took Kaj's line wink
ski holidays
Arno wrote:

Too easy a line ? wink

To be honest if I skied Bec des Rosses it wouldn't matter what I had on my feet (Whitedots, heartcarvers, snowblades etc). I mean, it's not as if I would survive it.
snow report
DidierCouch wrote:

I'd rather take a lesson with them than a xenophobic fogey from Söll...

Yes you probably wouldn't enjoy a lesson with some guy who was secretly taking the wee wee out of you with his mates.

Obviously there is no point taking people on powder lessons when they can't even make turns. It may be better going back to the pistes and revising technique and balance etc. But then given your average punter only has a week's ski holiday a year, being pragmatic, and given the market for off-piste adventure, you may assume the client will never ski at a high level and it is better to ski on 90mm+ skis and at least have some enjoyment and sense of achievement out of the lesson. Nothing worse than instructors with unrealistic goals. Wide skis may also be a great learner tools (like trainer wheels on a bike) and you may find the client is able to then ski powder on narrower skis, something more "all mountain".

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 1-03-12 14:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DB wrote:
Arno wrote:

Too easy a line ? wink

To be honest if I skied Bec des Rosses it wouldn't matter what I had on my feet (Whitedots, heartcarvers, snowblades etc). I mean, it's not as if I would survive it.

The main line is rated 5.1/E3 and has a 400m of D-
snow report
fatbob wrote:
rosco5, nice punter video -all the joey gopros out there should watch and learn about a sharp edit.

Amen to that.
snow report
Skied Bec in 2008 - there was some side slipping involved at the top wink Trust me, DeFago skied a 'fall and die' situation very well. Even if he didnt rip it open in spectacular fashion like Kaj might have done (in good snow).
Also... the video of Julio Mancuso is off the womens startline on the shoulder. Very different, lower consequence line.

So getting back on topic.... These days any punter can ski powder on fat skis - it actually pretty easy and apart from groomed piste the most consistent surface.
The real 'art of skiing' is handling real variable all mountain conditions with skill (moguls, ice, crusty mank, hardpack, wind blown powder etc).
So 110% it is the skier, not the tools, that are most important ? And that is why I kind of agree with the old Austrian boy.
Even if modern gear does certainly make it easier and more accessible.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 1-03-12 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Going back to the original post, I think that while the instructor had a point (probably a good number of skiers on skis which are suboptimally wide given the mix of skiing that they do) he was being a bit silly. I'd say that anyone buying a single pair of skis who really enjoys skiing off-piste would be best going for something 80-100mm underfoot. These will probably be wider than is really optimal for a lot of their skiing but that won't matter much and in the conditions which bring most joy (!) will enhance the experience.

I learned to ski powder on 200cm slalom skis (through practice and watching better skiers, not lessons). That was unforgiving and you needed to pick up a fair amount of technique to stay upright which has stood me in good stead but there is no way I'd advocate doing it the hard way now!

I have two pairs of skis:
stockli stormriders (75mm), getting on a bit
Line Prophet (100mm)

I much prefer the stocklis on piste. Even though the radius is pretty similar between the two, I can carve tighter turns on harder snow with the stocklis. They are quicker edge to edge, grip better, feel more stable. I'm no racer but it feels like you could race GS on them.

The prophets are better in most off-piste conditions but only a lot better when it gets deep, heavy or mashed-up. In light, boot-depth powder the stocklis are at least as good.

The result is that if I expect to be skiing mainly off-piste then I'm on the prophets. If I'm skiing with the kids and only sneaking the occasional bit of off-piste then I'm on the stocklis. If I only had one pair of skis I'd ... probably compromise with something like Stormrider VXLs or Volkl Mantras. But that's me. If I only skiied for myself rather than with the family I'd be off-piste nearly all the time and would go fatter. When I come to think of it, the four guides I have skied with in the last 4 years have all been on something 80-90mm wide. In my experience, guides seem to be very pragmatic rather than fashion conscious about their choice of gear and I suspect there is some useful information in that.

Obviously people can ski on whatever they want to but it would be a shame if people were not on the best ski for them due to scorn from ski instructors or fashion
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy