Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which would you pick... Tignes le Lac or La Plagne (Montchavin)?

Poster: A snowHead
We have 2 excellent choices for a catered chalet 10-17th March. Please help us decide which one we choose...!

We ski mainly reds and easy blacks, so which is best area for those runs?
Where is likely to have best conditions?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val D'Isere or Les Arcs.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of those two I prefer Tignes Le Lac. Not stayed in Montchavin itself, La Plagne waa nice but I prefer the Espace Killy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne/Les Arc offer great intermediate terrain and if condtions are right some good runs in the trees. Tignes more challeging, neither should have a problem with plenty of higher altitude stuff but Tignes I'd imagine has the better snow record with more run higher up.

Tignes I'd say is better suited to upper intermediates and advanced skiers LP def better for beginners and more nervous intermediates although PL has some great off piste. How challenging the blacks will be is too relative to condtions at the time really.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mumof2, given your ski level, Tignes le Lac IMHO
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Montchavin is pleasant enough - 170cm depth reported at the moment, so likely to be fine in 10 days time but, if more reds and easy blacks are the top priority, then it has to be Tignes. Point well-made by Grizwald, about blacks in general though.

Should mention I've not stayed in Montchavin, but in BP and PB although skied over there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montchavin is a much more pleasant place to stay IMO and skiing wise I think it would suit better. If the elements flair up there are local options in the trees. If not there is plenty to go at higher up on both sides of the VE. I've stayed in Les Coches the next village to Montchavin and Tignes Les Lac for the record.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Plagne

Tignes

On a purely numbers basis for reds/blacks, Tignes takes it and that does seem to be the main expressed criteria. Montchavin seemed far prettier and personally, I think having tree skiing options is always handy. And pleasant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would find it difficult to put one above the other, but Tignes Lac is on the Lake and therefore flat, if there is a suggestion of ski to/from I would be sceptical. As Chasseur, says Montchavin is a prettier village and the the skiing is excellent. I'm not sure if there is any forest to ski through in Tignes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes would get my vote for late March, given you can also take in Val D'Isere in the same area. In fact we'll be there ourselves that week. More variety of run, tends to have better snow conditions, excellent lift system. Montchavin is also good and close enough to the Vanoise Express to easily access both La Plagne and Les Arcs areas. It is true that in snowy weather there's more tree skiing in La Plagne and Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your valuable advice everyone.

I've just realised that the XGames are being held in Tignes that week, so likely that slopes/lifts there will be busy.

So we have (99%) decided to plump for a late deal in Val d'Isere and link to Tignes when it suits.

We like the sound of Montchavin and all those trees you tell me about... so we'll bring the kids with us there next year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mumof2, We were in Tignes 2 years ago when the X-Games were on. I didn't notice any difference at all in crowds compared with many other years we've been there in March. Obviously you get gatherings immediately around the games site, in and just above Val Claret centre, but made no difference to lift queues or skiing to us. It was good fun stopping occasionally on the piste side to watch some of the spectacular events. Val D'Isere is a more attractive town than Tignes, if you can get a good chalet deal there. However, I think the skiing on Tignes side generally offers more to those looking for mainly red runs, with many of their blue runs being interesting too. One frustration for many about Val D is that the runs back to the valley are often difficult and their official gradings misleading. For example, from Tignes side, to return to Val D village, you have the option of Face de Bellevarde (steepish Black) Epaule de Charvet (another definite Black, with steep bits and long schussh at the end) or the Santons 'gun barrel' run. This is officially a Blue but can be a nightmare towards the end of the day, when crowded with relative beginners and those who've fallen over. Lots of people end up either catching the Olympique gondola down, or else ski to La Daille and take the bus back to Val D. Hope that helps but wherever you are in Espace Killy you should have a fantastic time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
intermediate,
Quote:
This is officially a Blue but can be a nightmare towards the end of the day, when crowded with relative beginners and those who've fallen over.

Yep, that brings back memories Skullie First time I ever saw a queue of blood wagons. Suddenly the blacks were easier!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh my. Thank you intermediate for your advice on returning to Val d'Isere at the end of the day.

We booked a late deal today in Val and now I'm glad I came back to snowheads to check any new messages!

I will check out the XGames too.
latest report
Good choice! You'll definitely have plenty to keep you busy in Val and Tignes. Also, don't forget to check out La Folie Douce at the top of the La Daille bubble one afternoon. It's an experience not to be missed - get there about 4.
ski holidays
Mumof2, Yes, great choice of resort. Good news is that weather forecast for next 8 or 9 days is colder with bits of snow. That should make the pistes perfect for the sunny week that will follow for us. Also, in good snow, those home runs into Val D village don't seem anything like so daunting, especially around the middle of the day. At the end of an afternoon though I usually prefer the quite challenging reds down to La Daille (the OK or Orange pistes) followed by a short free bus ride back to town.
ski holidays
Piccadilly wrote:
Good choice! You'll definitely have plenty to keep you busy in Val and Tignes. Also, don't forget to check out La Folie Douce at the top of the La Daille bubble one afternoon. It's an experience not to be missed - get there about 4.

Friday is the best day. If you really want to spoil yourself, have a meal at La Fruitiere next door too.
ski holidays
Tignes Le Lac for sure!!! Hope u have fun!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy