Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you return to a resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for few years now. Having got the bug quite bad on my first trip, I've tried as much as possible to get in two trips per year. In the early years, we moved to a different resort each time, but have found that we do like certain resorts and have begun to make repeat visits - for instance, we've done 2 trips to Whistler, 2 to Courmayeur (albeit the first was a long weekend) and 3 to the Espace Killy (1 to Val d'Isere and 2 to Tignes) - all of them separated by a couple of seasons at least

I'm currently looking at booking somewhere for a trip at the end of march and I'm finding myself drawn to resorts I've already visited, some because I don't think we got the best out of the resort (Baqueira Beret, where poor visibility limited skiing all week, or Flaine where a storm shut more or less the entire mountain), some because I think my wife would enjoy it (Courmayeur, as it's pretty and while I've been twice, she's never been), and some becasue the skiing is great and the hotel in particular is fab (Tignes).

The latter option is currently favourite, especially as it allows us to arrange afternoon flights instead of getting up at sparrow fart and feeling knackered all day. HOwever we've already booked our Jan 2013 trip to Val d'Isere and that would give us consecutive trips to the same area, and I'm getting a nagging feeling I should at least choose another option from my shortlist if not somewhere entirely new - but then our friends would be upset as we'd have visited a resort they haven't and that would limit the otpions for future trips....

Anyway, do you go back to the same place year after year, so that you know where you're sakiing and where to go for lunches? Or can you not face the fact that there are so many new places to go to and feel the urge to tick as many off the list as possible?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having tried lots of resorts in France, Austria, Switzerland & Canada, now return to Wengen every winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I try and go somewhere new each time. The exceptions being 1) going to La Clusaz over and over again because it's my local hill 2) been to Alpe d'Huez twice c) Been to 3 Valleys twice (but stayed in two different resorts in two different valleys).

Zermatt is on my list of places to return to (because it is my favourite ever), as is Serre Chevalier (because I skied it when I was a rank amateur and saw only about 2% of it).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt wrote:
I've been skiing for few years now. Having got the bug quite bad on my first trip, I've tried as much as possible to get in two trips per year. In the early years, we moved to a different resort each time

I'm still in this boat.

The OH has been skiing for years before she talked me into going for the first time, and so has visited a lot of resorts, but she's generally happy to go to most places. She lets me draw up a shortlist for our next trip and then picks the one she'd like to go to the most. Our first three trips together were to places she'd already been to (if not the town/village then the ski area).

I think we'd be happy to go back to most of the places we've been to before. Although my preference for a repeat visit would be AdH, as it was my first week and only probably used 10% of the area available at most. Would also like to go back to Les Arcs as snow cover was limited when we went, and would like to try out the lower runs too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good question. I always seem to vacillate between the urge to experience new places and new "challenges" and the ease of knowing where everything is. So, with the aim of getting 2 trips in a season, I figure both are possible.

Also, there is the OH to consider - not the most confident (but actually technically competent) skier who appreciates familiarity - less stressful.

Serre Chevalier has been the most frequented at 5 weeks - that really has a "home-coming" feel about it and I'm not bothered about having skied much of it already, so will definitely be there again at some point. Other repeat resorts have been Folgarida/Marileva (2), La Plagne (2), Tignes (2) in 22 weeks (10 years), so a 50% re-offender Laughing On track then!

Edit:

That's not quite true - been to La Ros 3 times Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
Having tried lots of resorts in France, Austria, Switzerland & Canada, now return to Wengen every winter.

+1
(minus all the other Resorts Laughing )

Wengen was 1st place we went to and have returned repeatedly... do fancy a change now hence some of my other posts on the matter... but keep getting drawn back to BO.

One guy i was earwiggin' on the cable car up to Mannlichen (yank) - it was his 41st year going to Wengen Shocked

Chasseur wrote:
Good question. I always seem to vacillate between the urge to experience new places and new "challenges" and the ease of knowing where everything is. So, with the aim of getting 2 trips in a season, I figure both are possible.

this is what I'd like to do - best of both worlds... just need to persuade the Mrs now Exclamation
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the more you know a ski domain the more you get out of it, especially if you ski off-piste. Never visiting the same place twice seems to be the quickest way to miss the best bits that are available and not really get a good feel for the skiing that is available. Doesn't mean that you should only ski the same place for ever more, but don't be afraid of making several visits to the same place to really sample what it has to offer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I try to do 2 trips a year and I usually try one new resort each year and go back to an old favourite for my other trip. Its always good to see what else is out there but equally as Rob says the more you ski a resort the more you get out of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like the feeling of going somwhere new, particaulry if it's for a holiday. After allot of ski weeks instructing over the years in Italy-mainly Pila I've not found a resort since just going on 'ski holidays' that would make me not want to try somewhere new. I have a feeling St Anton might change this as I really like Austria but haven't skied St A yet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to L2A 8 times, Tignes 4 times, Zermatt and St Sorlin D'Arves twice each. I do try to visit somewhere new each winter but it hasn't worked out this year. I went off to L2A on a solo visit last month and the familiarity was great, I don't think I took the piste map out of my pocket. Off to L2A again at Easter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, A bit of both I like to ski new places and return to old ones. Although with the children familiarity with the ski schools and knowing what accommodation works well for us (we go with another family) Means that on family trips we tend to repeat a bit more often. On average I go for about three weeks a year and have been skiing for nearly thirty years now which means I have clocked up quite a few resorts as well as quite a few return visits.
Should ski a lot better than I do when I add it up like that. Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always have a trip at Easter (i'm a teacher) so tend to go to the same handful of resorts I know will be snow sure. Also tend to go back to same resorts as I have children and know the easy runs etc to take them on. Although my eldest is a better skier than me now! My youngest is only 3.

Val Thorens this Easter for me!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go to Killy Espace every year, in Dec/Jan have for last 25 years as a pipe opener to the season in eventer language. If snow is dreadfull everywhere else and the dollar high I go back again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Usually early Feb or late Jan with a large group....and then St Patricks week with just the wife.

We've done France and Italy and lots and lots of Austria....but now found ourselves returning to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have to admit over 25 weeks in Espace Killy, 5 in 3 valleys, LDA once, Valmorel once, La Plagne once, Paradiski once

Next year fingers crossed I'll be off to Espace Killy every day is different as snow , weather and company always changing. Every time think should expand my horizons wish I hadn't! wink
snow report
I go to Whistler every week snowHead
Keep meaning to get round to going to the interior, but not got round to it for a while
snow report
Jasper once
Banff twice
Paradiski 3 times (les coches twice then arc 2000)
Flaine this January
La tania in 2 weeks
Scotland ski centres about 30 times

If honest just shop around for good deals best deal was Banff for 2 weeks flying from glasgow 4star hotel and 10 days ski passes for 2 adults and 1 child total was £1980 in 2006 lift passes alone are nearly that price now
ski holidays
Zermatt, The Three Valleys and Belle Plagne are my favourites so far and I'm always happy to go back to them. I loved school trips to Tignes in the 1980s but have never been back since. I've also tried Ischgl, Montgenevre, Courmayeur, Verbier and St. Anton once each.

I prefer the variety of the larger skiing areas as well as good lunchtime restaurants.

I'd like to try north America one day but I'm mildly allergic to the word "stoked". It's also a long way to go, and friends tell me the places they've been to lack the atmosphere and good food of some European resorts.
snow conditions
Every evening.

..............Coat!!..................
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, let me help you on with that Laughing
snow report
Borovets Bulgaria 3 times in the early years when budget was the biggest issue, unless its a case of go there or nowhere I won't be in a rush to return because its so busy and so limited now we can all ski so much better.
Banff Canada, a fortnight once, would return happily provided budget/work commitments allowed at least a fortnight again.
La Thuile/La Rosiere once, enjoyed it but the flattish sections on the longest runs with the better mountain eateries really annoyed the boarders in the party.
Maria Alm Austria, once so far, was ill so missed most of it, would def return in the future.
Are Sweden, twice so far, third time booked for next month, can't wait, excellent snow every time we have been, made friends very easily, great tuition and very pretty.
Have not yet ventured much to France, would LOVE to try Japan and Switzerland when my bank balance improves!
I think on balance you get the best out of a resort the second time when you already have an idea of where you need to go and how to get there plus knowing where to avoid foodwise is a bonus. Very Happy
ski holidays
I normally try a different resort for my longer holidays as I feel I have more time to explore and get to know an area. I also try to do a few shorter ski trips each year and will usually ski on these for about 3-5 days depending on my holiday situation. On these trips I generally like to return to a resort previously visited! as I now know where things are in said resort, so on a short trip I use the prior knowledge to get the best out of the trip, ie location of certain accommodation, or the better restaurants or bars etc as obviously I will have less time to find these things if the resort is unfamiliar. An example of this was my main holiday this year in January was to Selva for 8 days as I previously had not been there, and this evening I'm off to Soll for the next 5 days on a short trip having been to soll two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it not only for its skiing but also the great après there.
Generally I have a preference for Austria though will normally do France on shorter trips
I cant wait to get back to Soll!!
snow conditions
Was thinking of having my ashes scattered in a steep glade in val d' when its all over, some t*t turned it into part of the new ladies down hill track.
ski holidays
Let us put the question the other way around.

Which resorts will you not go back to?

To start the ball rolling let me add mine: Bansko and Borovets, Sante Fe, Soldeau.

There are others where I would have to consider the crowds and the snow before returning but I am happy to return to the any of the French mega resorts at any time.
latest report
johnE wrote:

To start the ball rolling let me add mine: Bansko and Borovets, Sante Fe, Soldeau.

There are others where I would have to consider the crowds and the snow before returning but I am happy to return to the any of the French mega resorts at any time.

Probably best starting a new thread for continuity?

If not....then Arinsal, probably.
snow conditions
I'm a confirmed Tignes addict Very Happy
snow conditions
In the 20 years since I 1st went skiing, there are very few years that I havent skied either Wengen or Zell am See (there are a variety of reasons why I've returned to them multiple times). I've skied over 20 other resorts in this time and while there are a few I wouldn't rush back to, there is only one (Foppolo) that I would actively avoid - and even then I'd be happy to do a weekend there.
ski holidays
Gone to the Espace Killy 4 times in the last 5 seasons (not counting this one) and would have liked to have gone this season. My first week was there and I've really enjoyed progressing in the same place going from a complete beginner there 5 seasons ago to skiing Pisteurs Couloir last season. I feel like I know it really well but thats there's still loads more to explore, hoping to get back next season. In the meantime I'm going to have to make do with 10 days in the zillertal, leaving tomorrow after a half day at work, very very excited Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Up to now I've had the desire to try somewhere new each time, as long it's in Austria wink

I learned to ski in Pamporovo Bulgaria and took my OH there when he learned to ski, mainly as lilywhite mentions, due to budget in the early years. I also did Bansko as OH was living in Northern Greece at the time, but wouldn't go back to Bulgaria now unless there was no other option. I've been to Whistler, Banff and 9 different Austrian resorts (Kitz area being the only one I returned to this year, due to lack of snow last year).

The resorts that I would happily go back to would be Whistler (but would need a 2nd trip in the same season to Austria to get my fix of atmosphere), Schladming and St Anton. I'd maybe go back to Galtuer/Ischgl if I got a good deal but not sure if the lifts closing in high winds at Ischgl is a regular occurrence which could put me off. It's also expensive.

I'm sure I'll try some of the resorts in Switzerland, France and Italy, but I'm afraid that they'll lack the atmosphere that I love so much about the Austrian resorts (which I haven't yet exhausted).
latest report
I've been going to Ischgl every year for about 15 years. Always go 1st Friday in March, so 2 more sleeps to go and always stay in the same hotel. The advantages are that its a great resort, I know it like the back of my hand and I know I'm going to have a great holiday. The downside is that there are so many other places I'd like to visit but my friends won't hear of going anywhere else. We have a big reunion of friends from the UK, Ireland and Holland which I enjoy but I no longer get the excitement of going somewhere new. The only other place I've been to more than once is Mayrhofen and would like to go back as while I know the resort pretty well I haven't skied much more of the Zillertal valley. I've been to a number of resorts once some of which I would go back to but the problem I find with new places is that by the time it takes me to get my bearings it time to come home.
latest report
johnE wrote:

What about resorts I haven't been to but wouldn't even consider?

for me Bulgaria
latest report
johnE, would prefer it if you started a new thread - I could hive off your post but it would be better if you gave it a bit of background, perhaps. An interesting question though!
snow report
Chatel (PDS) 5 times, Banff 3 times, Sestriere twice and OH has done La Thuile twice. Folgarida, Passo Tonale, Bansko, Verbier once.
Would never go back to Bansko.
ski holidays
You mention about going back to Tignes. EK is a truly fantastic domaine and you will never get bored there. You only get to ski twice a year (same as me). Why waste either of those very precious weeks going somewhere not as good/ less convenient with more time queueing to get the skibus etc. I'm sure there are other great places but I'm not sure you'll find anywhere better than Tignes or Val d'Isere. I agonized over the Summer where I wanted to go this year, and we ended up going back to Tignes (3rd time) and les Arcs (second time). And no regrets
snow conditions
Banff several times, Three Valleys more times than I can remember - think I have stayed in just about every village there, Seefeld is fast becoming a favourite, Livigno whenever times are hard (so loads).

If you like it - and what's not to like about the Three Valleys, Banff, La Plange and so many others, then why not keep going back?

I have yet to meet up with acquaintances whosay they will return same time next year, but look forward to hopefully being surprised next year - mini Musher found himself a girlfriend !
latest report
I try and go somewhere new each year. But in addition...

Been to Jackson Hole 9 x
Lake Loiuse 4 x
Wengen 4 x
Zermatt 3 x
Dolomites 3 x
And a bunch of places twice.
ski holidays
nbt, Sorry, the list of resorts I have returned to and would like to return to is very, very long, but the ones I wouldn't go back to is much more concise. Once again I apologise for going off topic.
snow report
johnE wrote:
nbt, Sorry, the list of resorts I have returned to and would like to return to is very, very long, but the ones I wouldn't go back to is much more concise. Once again I apologise for going off topic.

Enlighten us - where wouldn't you return?
ski holidays
When I was younger I liked Avoriaz (8 times)
Tignes (10 I think)
3 valleys (10 or so)

Also done La Plagne a few times and now the kids are around we tend to end up in St. Anton a lot; Probably done it 20 times in the last 30 or so years and a record 3 times in one year!

Wife and Daughter love the ski school and myself and son love the massive options available and we all love the decent places to eat at un-silly prices.
latest report
scooby_simon wrote:
we all love the decent places to eat at un-silly prices.

No wonder you have given up on France!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy