Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy, resort Sestriere - does anyone know if theres usually enough snow cover mid-late March?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heya, think I've found a really good deal for self-catering in Sestriere week 17th March and looking to book quite soon... I know you cant tell what the conditions will be like then compared to now (which seem to be good!), but I wondered if anyone knows how I can find out historically whether that resort usually has okay snow cover at that time of year?! It seems to be quite a high altitude resort and not too far off Tignes height which is surely promising?! Any other tips on Sestriere welcome too Happy
Cheers, J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can remember skiing in Sestriere one season (in April) because just about every other resort in the region, not just the Milky Way, had closed due to lack of snow. I know it's hardly a long-term scientific analysis, but it certainly seems to suggest that you are probably playing a safer hand by going to Sestriere as anywhere else in that part of Italy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any info is good info thanks... !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nobody can predict the weather but the following may be relevant

(1) Sestriere was the venue for 2006 Turin Winter Olympic. I know this because I went over there afterwards in two years to try out the Olympic runs and the updated facilities. The Winter Olympic started in Feb and closed on 26 Feb which is only 2 weeks to mid March.

(2) Sestriere, at 2035m, has the highest base station in the Milky Way. This is twice the highest peak in UK or twice the altitude of Chamonix village. Its peak is Mt Motta with 2823m. There aren't many Alpine skiing resorts able to start the base level at 2000m!

(3) Most skiing resorts can survive a long season with snow making equipment.

(4) The last time I skied Sestriere was 28 March. Couldn't recall any lack of snow sign.

In my visits the whole of Milky Way always had excellent snow. The only complaint I had was the bottom link run from Claviere to Cesana could not be skied and the lift attendants asked us to take the chairlift down. The Cesana has the lowest point of 1360m and the snow was only a problem on the sunny side from Claviere. The sun-shielded side has a gondola to Sanscario which is linked to Sestriere and Sauze D'Olux.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy