Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Easy' slalom skis recommendations.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking for a pair of skis for my next trip to Val d'Isère, probably to rent but I'll see depending on deals and how I like them. I'm looking at slalom race skis but a bit softer than full-on FIS skis, so that they can be used all day.

I remember a few years back, I liked the Atomic SL10 a lot, I also enjoyed the D2 SL last year. Anything like that you guys could recommend these days?

I'm light at 178cm/65kg, fit, decent technique but far from perfect Happy

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought an a pair of these

http://www.ekosport.fr/atomic-race-rc-xto-10r-11,13406869,p.html

not a slalom ski but a slalom derived carver. Good edge hold in hard icy snow, they ski crud and powder well but were not so comfortable in gooey mank.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the salomon 3V works really well for me as an all day piste ski which also is useable in the bumps and variables.

the rossi 9 SL slantnose and dynastar omeglass are good skis, a bit more powerful than the 3V so be clear if you would want to ski these all day. The salomon 3v lab version is stiffer than these and only recommended if you a very strong skier or just using for racing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickbnf, you might want to check the review I've just posted of the HEAD i.Supershape Speed, bearing in mind that we are exactly the same height and weight:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87290
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Walter-Spitty, excellent review, and yes, we have a very similar type of ski/experience as well! I should try those if I can find them, I have never tried HEAD before. I see you don't recommend the Atomic D2 VF too, interesting as I liked the D2 SL last year (I had the 155cm) and generally like most Atomics.

Dynastar omeglass are available at a couple of shops for renting so it might be a good idea. I have disliked the Radicals in the past, feel too heavy to me outside of a slalom course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickbnf, the 167 cm Atomic D2 Vario Flex 73 was my least favourite of the skis I tested because it felt like it was built for a heavier, more powerful skier. It required more physical effort and didn't feel playful. It also didn't absorb shocks and vibrations on hardpack as well as some of the other skis and felt a bit too crisp for my liking. It was slower edge to edge and heavy (to carry and ski). The HEADs are also heavy to carry, but strangely don't feel heavy to ski at all.

From my experience of the Atomic, I would guess it was a size too big for me and the 159 cm version would have been a different story.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickbnf, if you liked the SL10s you might like the Atomic Race ST.
I've moved to them, from a borrowed pair of SL11 and think they're a great easy slalom ski as you get a huge side-cut, but also quite wide tip so still some float.
http://www.atomic.com/en/Products/Alpine/Ski/Race/RACE_ST/AA0013250.aspx?filter=
Much cheaper than the D2 (but obviously that's because they are not the double deck technology) and I got a good end of season prices last year from cattisport.com, even with the shipping from Italy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wigan, + for the ST a versatile slalom ski, above them the ski becomes very single focused and not the sort of thing for soft snow conditions unless a very strong skier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy