Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet or not?

Poster: A snowHead
My god, how did skiers ever survive in pre-helmet days?

From reading this thread it seems that the majority would have been killed or seriously injured within their first few ski holidays.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He, he. Wonder if we'll get to 2 pages Laughing

My 10 cents to the OP - do it if you want to, it's up to you fella Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yay!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tirol wrote:
Now I'm no medical expert so I won't suggest it saved his life but if you're going to get upended on tarmac when you're cycling at 20mphs then I'm guessing most people would like a thick bit of hard plastic to take the impact rather than their cranium.

I'm sorry, but that's just rubbish. A thick bit of hard plastic provides almost no useful protection whatsoever to your head.

Protective helmets protect you courtesy of the impact absorbing feature - usually expanded polystyrene. Strangely I'm not rating your "expertise" on this point very highly...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, You're splitting helmets there hombre wink, pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Tirol meant a helmet in general rather than confusing the difference between mere hard plastic and hard plastic encasing a layer of expanded polystyrene. So not rubbish really. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore

Snore

Summary- evidence shows it may reduce minor injuries/concussions. No evidence it reduces deaths. So you decide what you want to do.

On the other hand if you are so thick you come onto an Internet forum and don't read enough to realise that there is one topic which is posted ad nauseum, and then start the a new thread on the same topic, then I wouldn't worry too much, theres probably enough air in your head to act as a fantastic cushion.

Now where was I , oh yes, snore snore snore....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiG, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last wrote:
Provided you are happy to waste £100 when there is no proof whatsoever that they do anything other than make skiers overconfident and so more likely to crash....

Yep, just like seat belts, ABS Brakes, air bags etc.

Razz Razz Razz
snowHead snowHead snowHead
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tirol wrote:
In Austria couple of weeks ago. Based on a completely unscientific methodology I would venture to suggest that helmet wearers were about 90% of skiing adults and 100% of kids.

Similar stats in the Dolomites on the Birthday Bash.

Cool snowHead Cool
snowHead Cool snowHead
Cool snowHead Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chasseur, Very Happy

I say, my head, my choice. I bought a cheap helmet this year, once I started wearing it I figured I'd jinxed myself. i.e. if I stopped wearing it I'd have a tumble and hurt my head, so I continued to wear it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last wrote:
Tirol wrote:
Now I'm no medical expert so I won't suggest it saved his life but if you're going to get upended on tarmac when you're cycling at 20mphs then I'm guessing most people would like a thick bit of hard plastic to take the impact rather than their cranium.

I'm sorry, but that's just rubbish. A thick bit of hard plastic provides almost no useful protection whatsoever to your head.

Protective helmets protect you courtesy of the impact absorbing feature - usually expanded polystyrene. Strangely I'm not rating your "expertise" on this point very highly...

It's obvious that me typing "thick bit of hard plastic" was referring to a helmet, that you can only resort to petty pedantry suggests you're a bit stumped. I'll make it bit more idiot proof for you:

In a hypothetical situation a car has just cut you up as you cycle briskly along. You are thrown over the bars and a literal "head-on" collision with the road is inevitable. In this situation would you rather be wearing a cycle helmet or not wearing a cycle helmet?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last, looked for the evidence yet?

It is there, and not hidden. But that might interfere with your fun...

What we do know it there is no proof helmets reduce skiing deaths... severity of non-fatal head injury yes... but no trial done yet powerful enough to show an effect for deaths.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't wear a ski helmet nor does my friend but he does wear a cycle helmet. He had a bad accident this time last year, rescued by air ambulance, "died" twice on the way to the hospital, spent a couple of months in a coma, fortunately recovering well now but still some way to go. He was told had he not been wearing a helmet he would certainly have been killed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur wrote:
Perhaps I can be of snowHead Community Service..... Toofy Grin

Yep, brilliantly fantastic.

Where were you with that when the thread first started?? Toofy Grin

Can I borrow it for the next time please?

Helmetthreads
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This year in Austria (Saalbach) I'd guesstimate 75/ 80% were wearing helmets.In the Dolomites virtually everyone was - nearer 90% I'd say.
latest report
stoat of the dead, don't forget James the Last has also advocated skiing offpiste without transceiver and gear, just 'cos he stayed in a chalet with some boarders who did it one time, and they were all ok...
ski holidays
In many parts of Austria children must wear helmets while skiing - this equates to most of the Austrian children population.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-02-12 11:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tis obvious that J t L is a helmet...
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
stoat of the dead, don't forget James the Last has also advocated skiing offpiste without transceiver and gear, just 'cos he stayed in a chalet with some boarders who did it one time, and they were all ok...

????? Why don't you post us all a link so we can see this.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

????? Why don't you post us all a link so we can see this.

James the Last wrote:
Its fine, I skied off piste without avi gear. I was staying in a chalet with a load of boarders and they did it all the time.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Perhaps I can be of snowHead Community Service..... Toofy Grin

Yep, brilliantly fantastic.

Where were you with that when the thread first started?? Toofy Grin

Can I borrow it for the next time please?

helmetHeads

Yeah, a little late admittedly...however, it's all there for each and everyone to link to immediately we get another new thread....and this one is also now there rolling eyes Laughing

Oh, and FIFY wink
snow report
I'm fairly confident that a helmet, both bike and ski, has prevented a nasty injury. For that reason I'm fairly satisfied that my helmet was a worthy investment and shall continue to place my head inside one.

I think JtL has hit his head one too many times.

Good point about insurance - wonder when/if they'll demand helmets. I race one of my cars and my insurers make roll cages mandatory.
snow report
homers double, if you're going to make up quotations from me, please get them grammatically correct.

Thanks! Otherwise people might think I'm illiterate as well as - apparently - the devil's spawn.
ski holidays
Sorry I've been out, has he bought one ?
snow report
[quote="James the Last"]
clarky999 wrote:
Cycle helmets are a complete waste of time too.

That's utter b*llocks, I'd have to say. I had a bike crash a few weeks ago. I went over sideways at ~25/30mph on black ice and landed on my hip, arm and head. The impact on the helmet was so hard that I "saw stars" briefly, the outer of the helmet was badly scratched and dented and the polystyrene - or whatever is in helmets - actually broke.

Make of that what you will, but it's hard to believe that the same crash without a helmet would have left me without even a headache. (Not being able to walk with the damaged hip was my main concern.)

Badly fitted cycling helmets worn by people who have no idea how to ride a bike are a different matter.

I wear a helmet to ski. I prefer it now to the old days, as it's much easier to keep my head warm, ears protected from the sun and the goggles hung somewhere safe when not in use!
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough, I didn't write that!!
snow conditions
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
James the Last wrote:
Cycle helmets are a complete waste of time too.

That's utter b*llocks, I'd have to say. I had a bike crash a few weeks ago. I went over sideways at ~25/30mph on black ice and landed on my hip, arm and head. The impact on the helmet was so hard that I "saw stars" briefly, the outer of the helmet was badly scratched and dented and the polystyrene - or whatever is in helmets - actually broke.

Make of that what you will, but it's hard to believe that the same crash without a helmet would have left me without even a headache. (Not being able to walk with the damaged hip was my main concern.)

Badly fitted cycling helmets worn by people who have no idea how to ride a bike are a different matter.

I wear a helmet to ski. I prefer it now to the old days, as it's much easier to keep my head warm, ears protected from the sun and the goggles hung somewhere safe when not in use!
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
The Flying Snowplough, I didn't write that!!

The quote is now correctly attributed! Sorry. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Before I had a helmet, I always thought helmet wearers were over protective sad act 'elf n safety brigade over cautious muppets.

Now I have a helmet, I think all non-helmet wearers are under protected brainless wreckless feckless muppets.

rolling eyes Laughing The sooner everyone understands that I am always right, regardless, the better. wink

Seriously though this is my first year helmet wearing - 4 year old started skiing this year and had to wear one so I figured I ought to.

To quell one myth - I certaintly did not board or ride faster or any differently or take more or less risk than how I did when I didn't wear one.

I did quickly learn to avoid being clunked by the chairlift bar. Being an intelligent (ish) being, I was simply able to adapt by ducking at the appropriatte time. My wife on the other hand (also in her first year of helmet wearing) was clunked repeatedly throughout the week. Laughing

And finally, I did hit my head on the ground which I think was just due to the extra thickness of the helmet when I am convinced (although there is no way of really knowing) without one I wouldn't have, the result was a neck jar that left me stiff for the next few days. That said had I fallen harder to the ground I'd have been glad I was wearing it.

....And finally finally I learnt to sound well cool and phat (init?) and down with the kids and whatnot (?) by referring to it as a "lid" instead of a "helmet". NehNeh
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
homers double, if you're going to make up quotations from me, please get them grammatically correct.

Thanks! Otherwise people might think I'm illiterate as well as - apparently - the devil's spawn.

No problem but if you continue to spout poo-poo all the time time will you please wipe you lips afterwards.
snow report
There is no doubt that there are certain circumstances under which the wearing of a helmet will improve the outcome for the wearer.

There is similarly no doubt that under certain circumstances a helmet will make no difference. You'll be dead/OK anyway.

And there is similarly no doubt that under certain circumstances a helmet will make things worse.

The problem is, until you've had your accident, you don't know which category you will fall into.

However, I cannot believe the bile on this thread in what is supposed to be a friendly discussion forum. I also cannot believe the way in which my words have been misquoted and indeed fabricated.
ski holidays
Calm down dear, its only an internet.
latest report
To re-phrase myself...

My god, how did cyclists ever survive in pre-helmet days?

From reading this thread it seems that the majority would have been killed or seriously injured within their first few outings.

snow report
There's no proof any helmet is safer. I've seen bullets lodged in helmets of servicemen, but who's to say a good bit of hair gel could not have stopped the same from blowing their brains out??

All these people having accidents whilst on bikes and their helmets breaking due to the impact??? Rubbish, you'd have lifted your head so it didn't hit the floor if you weren't wearing a helmet. Possibly.

As for skiers wearing helmets, what a joke, it's snow don't you know, nice soft fluffy snow, perfect to cushion any impact.

Facts are facts.

Choosing not to wear a helmet is fine, why wouldn't it be. Choosing to believe that wearing a helmet is not safer, even by a small amount is daft.
snow conditions
homers double, Laughing

James the Last, your posting style is a bit er, 'confrontational' to put it mildly. Why are you surprised when this provokes 'unfriendly' responses?
ski holidays
xyzpaul wrote:
To re-phrase myself...

My god, how did cyclists ever survive in pre-helmet days?

From reading this thread it seems that the majority would have been killed or seriously injured within their first few outings.

I know of two people who have had head injuries that would have been far less serious if they had been wearing a helmet. Why does it have to be survive v death. Why not bad head v not bad head?
snow report
Legend. wrote:
Why not bad head v not bad head?

Give me good head any day.
ski holidays
With you there Laughing
snow report
Quote:

http://cyclehelmets.org/1209.html

The other fascinating thing about helmet debates is that nearly everyone who advocates their use either knows someone who has had, or has personally had, an accident that without the helmet would have been far more serious. Those who are less pro-helmet (or are agnostic) rarely have such experiences. I've been skiing for 25 years and cycling seriously for 10. I don't know anyone who's had, nor have I had, any sort of accident where there's been a head injury or a damaged helmet.

Now I'm not sure whether that says helmet wearers are more likely to have accidents, or whether accidents generate pro-helmet sentiments, but the difference is really quite stark.

Oh - and 25-30mph on black ice? Suggest you slow down a bit old lad! In those sort of conditions I've usually got one foot unclipped and am doing about 8mph!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-02-12 18:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Maybe he hit an unseen patch of black ice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy