Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways Carriage fees ??- help please

Poster: A snowHead
gemmie20, for peace of mind you could just phone BA customer services.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops just reposted from pocket - sorry Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gemmie20, it's just the way that airlines word these things. Last time I flew with BA, the position for hold luggage was as follows:

- The maximum size and weight rules that you've cited apply to normal luggage (ie suitcases)
- Specific rules apply to sporting equipment and are set out in a separate section. The maximum dimensions for a ski bag and the permitted contents are not the same as for a suitcase and are set out in a different section of the website.
- An item of hold luggage may be either a suitcase or an item of sporting equipment. You can take as many items as permitted by your ticket, class of travel and frequent flier status.

Every transatlantic airline that I've flown with in recent years has set out its policy in this way. Inghams has only sent you half the policy.

BTW, it's normal practice for airlines to honour the luggage policy that was in place at the time that you made your booking, not at the time that you travel. I don't know if the same principle applies if you've booked a package, though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kelskii wrote:
gemmie20, for peace of mind you could just phone BA customer services.

I tried that one. Gave up after an hour. Tried again the next day. Gave up after an hour. Tried again the following day. Gave up after an hour. Finally got through by calling in the middle of the night and being routed to an American call centre, but they didn't know the answer (it was a baggage allowance query). The only benefit of calling was that they put a note on my file so that if the check-in operator took a different view, they could see that I'd been trying to do the right thing and treat me leniently.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny Jones, oh well, maybe not such a great idea then. I'm sure the last time I phoned with an avalanche airbag query, I got through without waiting too long.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew BA last week with a ski bag, which had my skis in it, as well as clothing for padding. There was absolutely no issue in them taking it.
I do have 'status' with OneWorld (the alliance BA is in), which allows me to check extra/heavy bags etc, but I'm pretty sure this didn't come into play, since none of my bags were over 23kg.

The current advice on skis from the BA website are:

We will accept skis and snowboards of all dimensions provided they are packed correctly.

Preparing skis and snowboards for travel:

•skis and snowboards must be packed in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
•if you are travelling with skis and ski boots you should pack them in one of the following ways:

- pack your skis and ski boots separately*
- pack your ski boots within your checked baggage

Now, I don't know what the "separately" means -- does it mean that boots mustn't go with skis, or just one of the options, as alluded above?? But from my experience, a ski bag with clothes is fine. On AA, a ski bag and boot bag count as one item, as long as there is nothing else in either bag, so that is in contra-distinction to BA.

tb
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gemmie20 wrote:

Please note - Clothing and other personal items etc cannot be carried in ski or board bags.To avoid this charge or for convenience you may wish to consider pre-booking ski and boot hireb).

I can not see anywhere on the BA site where it says this (checked 5 minutes ago). Also the checked bag dimensions of 90cm x 75cm x 43cm do not apply if you are checking in a ski or board bag as obviously the dimensions will be different to a normal suitcase. That was my understanding from the BA web site
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trueblu wrote:
I flew BA last week with a ski bag, which had my skis in it, as well as clothing for padding. There was absolutely no issue in them taking it.
I do have 'status' with OneWorld (the alliance BA is in), which allows me to check extra/heavy bags etc, but I'm pretty sure this didn't come into play, since none of my bags were over 23kg.

- pack your skis and ski boots separately*
- pack your ski boots within your checked baggage

tb

I take that to mean you can pack the boots with your ski or board bag if thats the only bag your are checking in. If you need to pack them in a separate bag or if the ski or board bag is more than 23kg with the boots in then you will be charged either for overweight baggage (more than 23kg) or for another bag
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok I'm going to try and get an actual answer from ba and get it noted on my booking - I think the stuff inghams has sent out today is just totally confusing - for starters -there have not been any recent changes on ba's website so straight away what are they on about? , then the MAX dimension of 90x75 etc not to be excedded and the the guff about noting no clothing can be packed with skis as highlighted by jimmybog I also couldn't find this anywhere on BA site . Inghams=sigh ...always have no issue with them untill I actually have to ask them something Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gemmie20 wrote:
Ok I'm going to try and get an actual answer from ba and get it noted on my booking - I think the stuff inghams has sent out today is just totally confusing - for starters -there have not been any recent changes on ba's website so straight away what are they on about? , then the MAX dimension of 90x75 etc not to be excedded and the the guff about noting no clothing can be packed with skis as highlighted by jimmybog I also couldn't find this anywhere on BA site . Inghams=sigh ...always have no issue with them untill I actually have to ask them something Happy

let us know how you get on gemmie. If you have problems finding out let me know and I'll get my sister on the case as she works for them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phoned BA and they confirmed we are fine to take 1 checked bag each up 23kg and these bags can be double ski bags - so as expected inghams just giving half information Happy thanks for all the responses! much appreciated - i'll get back to looking forward to our holiday now:-)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gemmie20 wrote:
phoned BA and they confirmed we are fine to take 1 checked bag each up 23kg and these bags can be double ski bags - so as expected inghams just giving half information Happy thanks for all the responses! much appreciated - i'll get back to looking forward to our holiday now:-)

Thanks for the update gemmie20, enjoy your trip
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BA didn't even weigh our double ski bag. And didn't glance at the hand luggage either. Ryanair they are not!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just for amusement - flying back from Denver on BA last week. I put my first holdall on the scales and it came in at 24kg but no comment was made. I put my second holdall on the scales and my 8yr old said "Look Dad, both bags are exactly 24kgs". At which point the BA staff noticed and gave us a long spiel about heavy bags and warned us that in future we should only have 23kg.

Words were had with youngest about keeping quiet at check-in.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LOL:-) thanks for that London Falcon.. i'll be sure to gaffa tape the kids as we reach checkin:-)
ski holidays
Hi

I have just come back from Aspen. I had flights from Manchester to Heathrow to Dallas then Aspen with all flights booked under BA flight numbers but with the Dallas to Aspen codeshare operated by American. I called BA before I went to check and was told ski carriage would be £70 on the outbound (as first check in was with BA) and $150 on the return (as first check in was with American). I was also told that I would only be able to pay at the airport locally as there was a codeshare flight involved and it would not let me do this online. So....

I purchased a double ski bag put my one pair of skis in with all my usual clothes and checked this in as my single (included) checked bag. I put my boots and enough/appropriate clothes for the first day skiing (in case my checked bag did not arrive) in my wheelie hand luggage and had no problems whatsoever and did not have to pay for ski carriage. You can also take a second piece of hand luggage if needed on all the flights so plenty of room.

Luggage was through checked from Manchester on the outbound and from Aspen on the return and I now have a bag I can use on future holidays for a lot, lot less than the cost of the original ski carriage! I do wish though that when they are setting up codeshares they could align policies!
latest report
darbyrw, I wish they could align service standards as well as baggage standards. Last time I flew BA, I found myself coming home on American in a scruffy aircraft with no personal entertainment systems and food that was distinctly poorer than the usually grotty BA stuff. Not ideal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy